1[21]: Darnell Savage [S; Maryland]

CWood21

More on Savage's board slot. He was the first S, CB, WR, RB off the board. This was a good top for edge, DL, OL. Savage won the DB award at the Senior Bowl. Gruden was there.

Both the Colts and Ravens moved back. Raiders believably had him over Abrams.

At the same time, I prefer a move back, keeping those 4s and grabbing another three. This is a deeeep daft.

Can't say we didn't get our guys with every pick though. They ran up every card. And Jace was the #2 TE on our board -- I feel confident in that and his best spot is receiving from AR, perfect fit -deadly combo there. 

11 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

More on Savage's board slot. He was the first S, CB, WR, RB off the board. This was a good top for edge, DL, OL. Savage won the DB award at the Senior Bowl. Gruden was there.

At the same time, I prefer a move back, keeping those 4s and grabbing another three. This is a deeeep daft.

Can't say we didn't get our guys with every pick though. They ran up every card. And Jace was the #2 TE on our board -- I feel confident in that and his best spot is receiving from AR, perfect fit -deadly combo there. 

Literally every pick between 22-29 could've targeted Savage, they all have needs at the position. I read somewhere he was guarenteed to be gone by 26 (Colts pick iirc)

The difference between one safety deep and two safeties deep is a free extra rusher or defender somewhere else. It’s the single easiest way to tilt the defense in your favor. The reason so few teams play it regularly is because at any given time maybe 3 or 4 safeties in the whole league can handle it. 

If we have one, we just tilted the field in our favor. 

• Like 1

When you can employ one person to cover the whole deep 1/3 of the field alone instead of two.... it’s simple math. An extra defender is freed up to do something else. That’s game changing. See Packers defense after Collins went down or Seahawks defense when Thomas was down. Game changing. Period. 

• Like 2

Is savage that guy? He’s fast enough. He wants it bad enough. He has all of the talent and reputation for knowing the game. He could be one of those rare game changing free safeties who does two peoples job so someone else can cause chaos somewhere else.

• Like 1

Regardless of what other teams think, the Packers feel he has single high potential. I think it's Gute who mentioned it. Of course he didn't say Collins but he did mention Thomas. They think he can be that guy. 

He'll be a solid pick, but they are definitely shooting for another Nick. Collins was taken round two, but that was back when the Packers were ahead of the curve in grabbing smaller school guys. If they are right, he'll be the draft steal. If they are wrong, they didn't give up much and he will work very well with Amos. 

21 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

If he's the best single high safety in the draft the 4's were cheap to get him. Gute said he plays like a 4.3 guy too. That is important that means he's got instincts which is as critical to playing single high as the 4.3 speed. 

The speed of our defense this year is going to be scary and I can't wait to see it in action. Trubisky is going to look like a deer in headlights on opening night. Opening day of hunting season and Trubisky is the game. 

On 4/27/2019 at 10:11 AM, JaireAlex said:

From what Gruden and Maylock have said, the bolded part is false.  They really wanted Abram.  They wanted a hitter first.

And I'm over the trade.  We got the #1 safety that Gute wanted, I'm good with that.  Also feel like if TT were drafting, he still would have been chosen and converted to corner.  And I don't say that knocking TT, rather I say that feeling like Savage has some pretty solid man cover ability.

I find it hard to believe that he (Jace) was #2 on GB's board.  I think #3 is realistic, with about 3-4 others rated closely to him.  And that tier was a much better value than Hock or Fant for where they were chosen.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

It appears that the team they were jumping for Savage was Indy- Had a pick 5 later, traded down, took a DB with their first pick, and drafted 2 safeties.

Just thinking the same. And Indy had a pretty good draft. Ballard only had 15-17 first round grades and a deep second tier all about the same, he said. The Packers had Savage in the top tier, all that counts really.

They got Amos with a plan to get Savage (with others as backup options). They've been targeting Savage a very long time. Very clear this off-season, two priorities were improving the safeties and improving the lb/rush. Not just improving but putting them over the top. That's an A+, and the draft really fell the best way possible for them with Gary. 

Savage is not a boom-bust (people just throwing that word around), and with how they can use him, he'll flourish. Also he's a smart player, the kind Pettine likes, a clear head above everyone in almost every category. 

Gute killing it really.

I think a lot of the media people who weren't high on Savage throughout the process were low on him primarily because of some combination of "I haven't heard him talked about much" and "well, Maryland didn't have a very good defense."   But the sole draftable player on a bad defense is usually the free safe (might also be some defensive tackle who put up a heroic effort by himself), and of course people haven't heard as much about the Maryland safety as they had the SEC ones.  Hell, even Adderly got the novelty bump of being a top small school guy and having NFL bloodlines.

When we got later in the process, the people who spend the most time grinding tape figured "wait, why isn't this guy higher... he does everything well" and the people who were tuned into NFL sources learned teams were way higher on this guy than draft media.