1[21]: Darnell Savage [S; Maryland]

CWood21

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

....Tell me if that's Darnell Savage or Damarious Randall coming out of school?

Not necessarily a bad thing, Randall may still well develop into a good safety in this league despite our best attempts to derail his career.

I just thought it was interesting seeing the similarities between the two players. Hopefully we learned our lesson from Randall and will keep Savage at Safety full time....

Yeah, very interesting.  I agree, Randall had plenty of physical capacity to become an excellent NFL safety. 

Obviously had injury problems, hopefully Savage isn't as wasted by injuries as was Randall.  Gute talked about "wiring"; a better Packer story for Savage must certainly depend on whatever differences there are in "wiring" being to Savage's advantage.  A better story will also depend on Savage being more aggressive and being better-able to diagnose and respond quickly. 

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

College DB utilized in a positionless slot defender type in most instances. 

Excellent man coverage ability if the plan is to utilize him at Free Safety. 

Smaller than you would like for an average safety being under 6 feet and under 200lbs. Shows when trying to bring down heavier ball carriers.

Will need to develop skills at the line of scrimmage if the plan is for him to play more of a slot CB role. 

Tough and aggressive coming to the ball carrier but size and technique are a hinderance. 

+++

Tell me if that's Darnell Savage or Damarious Randall coming out of school?

Not necessarily a bad thing, Randall may still well develop into a good safety in this league despite our best attempts to derail his career.

I just thought it was interesting seeing the similarities between the two players. Hopefully we learned our lesson from Randall and will keep Savage at Safety full time.

Interesting to note that much in the way it seems like we prefer college OTs who move inside to play Guard, it looks like we prefer college Safety/CB hybrids to play Free Safety. 

That's Savage. Tough and aggressive are two words I would use when asked "name two traits that Damarious Randall does not have?"

You can compare the roles in coverage and the size and athletic profile (Randall is more agile and Savage far more explosive I'd argue). However Damarious is soft, both physically and mentally. That's why he's not a Packer anymore. HHCD is the same thing. Amos and Savage are going to hit people. That's why they are Packers. From a personality standpoint you couldn't get any further from our DCs personality than Randall and HHCD, I bet Pettine is thrilled to have replaced those two with Amos and Savage.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

This year's draft wasn't anymore deep than most classes.  Every year, we talk about how deep a class is, but it turns out to be roughly the same.

Not what Gute thought. He said it was the best class in a long time.

I strongly disagree there.

12 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

Not what Gute thought. He said it was the best class in a long time.

I strongly disagree there.

Give it a few years, then go back and look at the mid rounds for quality players.  It'll be the same as it has always been.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

From a personality standpoint you couldn't get any further from our DCs personality than Randall and HHCD, I bet Pettine is thrilled to have replaced those two with Amos and Savage.

You can't have a DC with a nickname of Blunt Force Trauma... and a couple of softies at Safety

26 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I suspect there are, looking back, strong years and weak years in the mid-rounds

I'd bet that if you look at mid third through end of four, you will find that everything balances out.  Would be a fun thing to do, use Wiki to look back and see Pro Bowl players taken in that range, by draft.  I think it will be pretty standard.

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'd bet that if you look at mid third through end of four, you will find that everything balances out.  Would be a fun thing to do, use Wiki to look back and see Pro Bowl players taken in that range, by draft.  I think it will be pretty standard.

I live to serve

Year 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
2000 14 5 1   3 4 1
2001 17 11 3 1 1   1
2002 10 4 2 1 2   1
2003 12 7 3 4 4 4 1
2004 15 2 6 3 2 1 1
2005 15 5 5 3 1 2 2
2006 16 9 1 7 1 3 1
2007 17 7 2 5 1 1 2
2008 11 7 4 1 4   1
2009 10 5 3 3 3 1 1
2010 16 9 4 4 2 2 1
2011 16 4 3 3 2 3  
2012 13 7 6 3 2 4  
2013 12 6 7 2 1 1  
2014 17 6 1 1 1   1
2015 10 2 3 1 2    
2016 7 4 3 3 2    
2017 7 2 3 2 1    
2018 5       1    

EDIT: 2006, 2010 and 2012 have the most non-first round pro-bowlers at 22 each. 2002 and 2014 are clearly the worst with just 10 (I'm excluding the last four years since these are still rookie players)

Edited by Packer_ESP
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

That's Savage. Tough and aggressive are two words I would use when asked "name two traits that Damarious Randall does not have?"

You can compare the roles in coverage and the size and athletic profile (Randall is more agile and Savage far more explosive I'd argue). However Damarious is soft, both physically and mentally. That's why he's not a Packer anymore. HHCD is the same thing. Amos and Savage are going to hit people. That's why they are Packers. From a personality standpoint you couldn't get any further from our DCs personality than Randall and HHCD, I bet Pettine is thrilled to have replaced those two with Amos and Savage.

Interesting to note that a fair few of the internet reports was very complimentary of Randall's aggressiveness coming out.

Organizational incompetence is the reason that Randall isn't a Packer anymore.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Interesting to note that a fair few of the internet reports was very complimentary of Randall's aggressiveness coming out.

That is incredibly vague and could be used for every single opinion on the internet.  Not interesting at all actually.

Go ahead and keep blaming it all on the front office as is your want.  Just like most divorces- both sides contributed their fair share, but it sounds like 'a fair few of the internet reports' claimed Randall burned his bridges in the locker room.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You and Norm need to give this a ******* rest already...:D

The veteran players wanted Randall gone, and he's gone. That's not organization incompetence

Rob Demovsky of ESPN reported Friday that there existed an interest between players to oust Randall, whose attitude had soured the mood within the locker room. “There was very strong sentiment in the locker room at that time to give Randall the boot — sources said McCarthy’s committee of veteran players suggested that Randall be released.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The veteran players wanted Randall gone, and he's gone. That's not organization incompetence

Rob Demovsky of ESPN reported Friday that there existed an interest between players to oust Randall, whose attitude had soured the mood within the locker room. “There was very strong sentiment in the locker room at that time to give Randall the boot — sources said McCarthy’s committee of veteran players suggested that Randall be released.

Hey hey hey. I've bit my tongue the entire time. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Letting players decide who's cut is organizational incompetence.

Edit: I know he wasn't cut. Just they shouldn't decide who goes IMO.

Edited by Norm
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Man the story on Randall has really flipped from what he was as a prospect.  Randall had more TFL his senior season than Savage had in his entire collegiate career, and notched 5 less tackles than Savage in ~ half the games played.  How can anyone say he had no toughness or aggressiveness?  The dude was all over the field.  If anything he had a similar problem to Savage; not always breaking down and making good tackles in the open field because he was going too fast.  That's not even remotely uncommon for college safeties.  

Whatever your issues with Randall were coming out, it's hard to imagine one of them would have been aggressiveness.

• Like 3