1[21]: Darnell Savage [S; Maryland]

CWood21

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Watched his presser.  Good looking rook.  Gotta work on his speaking skills tho.  "you know what I am saying"  ughhhh....finished almost every sentence with it.  Seems like a good kid hopefully he adjusts quickly.  know what I'm saying?  ha ha ha....I had a problem with the "yah know"  but broke it eventually when they started a Jimmie's yah know yah know fund.  hee hee hee...had to put a buck a jar every time I said it.   

Oh man, what was that thing that Justin Harrell said constantly? Didn't he used to pepper every interview with the phrase "like I said" regardless of whether he had already "said it" or not? 

46 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

America is a big place with lots of accents. What's the big deal? 

Every time I get asked this question by my cousins or people I correct, I tell them the same thing. 

It's a big deal because the world is full of people who judge others, and that judgment can impact your life.  Go into an interview saying things like, "Let me axe you a question," or, "I seen that you offer dental," or any number of other cringe-worthy grammatical gaffs and it could effect whether or not you get it. 

Also, I never understood how people can be so little and offended as to not appreciate being corrected.  If I have a booger hanging out my nose, I want someone to tell me.  If I'm saying something incorrectly, I want someone to tell me. 

I see hatred of grammar Nazis as people being content with being wrong and lesser than they could be. 

If you're not getting better, smarter, stronger than you were the day before, you're getting worse, and for people like myself who strive to become better people, it's insulting when someone can't understand the difference between seen, saw, your, you're, their, they're, there, ask, axe and a whole host of other things that are supremely easy fixes.  I'm not asking people to be able to learn calculus or political science or know how to write a perfect essay.  Certain things take time.  I consider myself to suck at math, but at the same time I can still do basic algebra.  Just as I wouldn't expect everyone to know the capitals of every state, I think it's important for people to have a general idea where North America, South America, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe and Australia are.  The same is true for grammar and speech. 

I know that sounds wildly elitist and arrogant, but when I correct someone's grammar, it truly is an attempt to help them.  If I don't correct someone's grammar it's because I literally could not care less about them.  Same way I'd let someone I didn't like walk around with a booger hanging out their nose all day. 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Every time I get asked this question by my cousins or people I correct, I tell them the same thing. 

It's a big deal because the world is full of people who judge others, and that judgment can impact your life.  Go into an interview saying things like, "Let me axe you a question," or, "I seen that you offer dental," or any number of other cringe-worthy grammatical gaffs and it could effect whether or not you get it. 

Also, I never understood how people can be so little and offended as to not appreciate being corrected.  If I have a booger hanging out my nose, I want someone to tell me.  If I'm saying something incorrectly, I want someone to tell me. 

I see hatred of grammar Nazis as people being content with being wrong and lesser than they could be. 

If you're not getting better, smarter, stronger than you were the day before, you're getting worse, and for people like myself who strive to become better people, it's insulting when someone can't understand the difference between seen, saw, your, you're, their, they're, there, ask, axe and a whole host of other things that are supremely easy fixes.  I'm not asking people to be able to learn calculus or political science or know how to write a perfect essay.  Certain things take time.  I consider myself to suck at math, but at the same time I can still do basic algebra.  Just as I wouldn't expect everyone to know the capitals of every state, I think it's important for people to have a general idea where North America, South America, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe and Australia are.  The same is true for grammar and speech. 

I know that sounds wildly elitist and arrogant, but when I correct someone's grammar, it truly is an attempt to help them.  If I don't correct someone's grammar it's because I literally could not care less about them.  Same way I'd let someone I didn't like walk around with a booger hanging out their nose all day. 

Outpost hates me now. My grammar is pretty decent but the only time I use the word saw is when I need to cut something lol. I can even hear it in my head but I just can't shake it.

14 minutes ago, Norm said:

Outpost hates me now. My grammar is pretty decent but the only time I use the word saw is when I need to cut something lol. I can even hear it in my head but I just can't shake it.

You never say: "I saw something"  ?

I find that well spoken people tend to be well read people also.
Pronunciations can differ widely - for an equally wide number of reasons.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Leader said:

You never say: "I saw something"  ?

I find that well spoken people tend to be well read people also.
Pronunciations can differ widely - for an equally wide number of reasons.

I was exaggerating. No I do say it that way but I use seen incorrectly way too often

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Edited by PACKRULE

1 hour ago, Norm said:

I was exaggerating. No I do say it that way but I use seen incorrectly way too often

It's a hard habit to break. When you do, you'll quickly learn to hate everyone who uses it incorrectly.

• Like 1

Well of course I noticed the “Know what I’m saying,” and it did get in the way of his message, but I tried to get past it and listen to his answers and I thought he responded appropriately.

These are really young men, and I look forward to watching them grow up in front of us, and, in the case of Savage, I hope we get to hear him explain how he managed another pick six many times—and eventually doing so without reflexively asking us if we know what he’s saying. We know, brother, we know.

I think what I’m trying to say is that I am inclined to like and respect the young man for what he has accomplished and for who he is and how he speaks right now, and I have no doubt he will improve in all of these areas as young, talented, forward- looking people often do.  

Edited by blueswedeshoes