Jump to content
CWood21

1[21]: Darnell Savage [S; Maryland]

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

All the praise was Jones in his athleticism, and none of it was on his mind.  I think Rodgers in his praise even said he wants to see him in pads.  

This with Savage is different.  If you can’t tell the difference between the Josh Jones praise and the praise being given to Savage, you’re probably a pessimist.

Those things Tramon said about him are probably the most exciting words of praise I have ever heard for a rookie.

I seem to recall the praise came in his ability to take on a fullback and still back a "tackle" in practice.  In other words, he drew some praise for his physical-ness at the line of scrimmage in run sets.  I think our fullback at the time, maybe it was Rip, commenting about what a tough SOB Jones was.  I do not recall any praise about his football IQ or his ability to cover a receiver or space.

But yah, pretty excited about Savage.  I'm going to temper that because it will take him time back there, but that is to be expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I seem to recall the praise came in his ability to take on a fullback and still back a "tackle" in practice.  In other words, he drew some praise for his physical-ness at the line of scrimmage in run sets.  I think our fullback at the time, maybe it was Rip, commenting about what a tough SOB Jones was.  I do not recall any praise about his football IQ or his ability to cover a receiver or space.

But yah, pretty excited about Savage.  I'm going to temper that because it will take him time back there, but that is to be expected.

Yeah Jones early hype was how athletic he was for his size and that he is a missile to the ball. Can't cover though. I'm not sure why our staff even lists him as a S as he's a LB, but just like Damarious we're stubborn there. We've either wasted a pick on Burks or Jones and sadly it could be both. They're both athletic as hell, Burks has high football IQ, but I question how tough he is. Whereas Jones there is no questioning his toughness or attitude, he's kind of a prick out there, he wants to light you up and then get in your face, but he just doesn't see it out there.

Savage has football IQ and the fact he knows the playbook already is impressive. He should start this year and most likely will. When you pair elite athletic traits with the kind of IQ praise Savage is getting, there's some real deserved hype there. Everyone who had him as the #1 S in the draft should pat themselves on the back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 8:07 AM, Packerraymond said:

Savage has football IQ and the fact he knows the playbook already is impressive. He should start this year and most likely will. When you pair elite athletic traits with the kind of IQ praise Savage is getting, there's some real deserved hype there. Everyone who had him as the #1 S in the draft should pat themselves on the back.

gbdlh6pz3xyyg5xva98x.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I wasn’t Rashan Gary’s biggest fan,  this guy would be getting so much more hype from me. 

4.36 is nice. Savage also plays every type of coverage well and tackles too. He’s also smart, driven, instinctive, confident and connects well with teammates. Outside of being 196 pounds he doesn’t have a weakness.

He’s the only rookie starting on Pettine’s second year defense. There’s a good pass rush in front of him. It’s always hard for a rookie to play right away, but Savage is in a perfect situation to play well early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Savage is going to have his ups and downs, S in the NFL is a lot faster and more punishing than S in college, but it's hard not to be excited about his potential.  That man's ability to see it and hit it is the kind of thing I love in a safety; we haven't had someone who can click and close like that since Collins and Woodson left.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the talk about Gary and I felt more disappointed in Savage.  Those first few weeks he was flying around and quarterbacks flat out weren’t targeting him.  That changed.  I wonder if his injury slowed him down a ton or what because if there’s one player I want to have a second year leap it’s him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

All the talk about Gary and I felt more disappointed in Savage.  Those first few weeks he was flying around and quarterbacks flat out weren’t targeting him.  That changed.  I wonder if his injury slowed him down a ton or what because if there’s one player I want to have a second year leap it’s him.

In general Savage was a solid starter, which is a win for a rookie. Gary was a higher pick and not getting snaps. Two different circumstances 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

All the talk about Gary and I felt more disappointed in Savage.  Those first few weeks he was flying around and quarterbacks flat out weren’t targeting him.  That changed.  I wonder if his injury slowed him down a ton or what because if there’s one player I want to have a second year leap it’s him.

He played 865 snaps, was only targeted 30 times and went 17/30 197 yards 2TDs 2 INTs for a passer rating against of 71.1

Admittedly the tackling wasn't great, but I'm not sure we realistically have a knock against Savage in coverage. 

Harrison Smith made the pro bowl this year on 970 snaps, 21/33 194 yards 0 TDs 3 INTs

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you can argue against the fact that we hit on this pick. I suspect tackling and some of those other things will improve moving forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Savage would snag more interceptions than 2, but he was about as well as you could play for a late first round rookie saftey. 

But undoubtedly Gary had a rougher year, he couldn't get on the field, wasn't even used on pressure downs that much inside or outside. At least Savage got tons of experience starting every game he suited up for and wasn't a liability back there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I thought Savage would snag more interceptions than 2, but he was about as well as you could play for a late first round rookie saftey. 

But undoubtedly Gary had a rougher year, he couldn't get on the field, wasn't even used on pressure downs that much inside or outside. At least Savage got tons of experience starting every game he suited up for and wasn't a liability back there.

2 is pretttty good especially for a rookie. 6 led the league and there were only 3 of those. Seeing more Ints means you need to be targeted more or you need to get lucky. King was 1 off the the first place podium and he only had 1 previous. For our team Savage was #2 with his 2, and we were 3rd place in the whole NFL for amount of ints.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I thought Savage would snag more interceptions than 2, but he was about as well as you could play for a late first round rookie saftey. 

But undoubtedly Gary had a rougher year, he couldn't get on the field, wasn't even used on pressure downs that much inside or outside. At least Savage got tons of experience starting every game he suited up for and wasn't a liability back there.

Again, that was all by design rather than Gary be unable to actually play. Sure, he got a bit dinged up, but the guy was literally on a snap count.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe said:

Again, that was all by design rather than Gary be unable to actually play. Sure, he got a bit dinged up, but the guy was literally on a snap count.

I meant to say he couldn't get on the field enough. My expectations before the season was he was gonna be our 3rd pass rusher coming off the bench for the Smiths, but that was Fackrell. Maybe get all 3 of the smiths and him on the field at once more often, but we really didn't get that. That's why I'm more disappointed in what we got out of him vs Savage this last season. And when Gary got on the field he wasn't really effective, besides a few nice rushes here and there. 

Edited by Gopackgonerd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

2 is pretttty good especially for a rookie. 6 led the league and there were only 3 of those. Seeing more Ints means you need to be targeted more or you need to get lucky. King was 1 off the the first place podium and he only had 1 previous. For our team Savage was #2 with his 2, and we were 3rd place in the whole NFL for amount of ints.

No you're right thats still good, I just had a feeling for some reason he was gonna pick off a lot of balls even for a rookie kinda like Hayward did in his rookie year with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...