2019 First Round Pick (#25) - Marquise "Hollywood" Brown - WR - Oklahoma

drd23

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

Brown weighed 166 pounds after not being able to workout or anything because of his injury for like a month and a half too.

I've seen this elsewhere but, as someone who's never set foot in a gym before, I don't understand it.  Is it not possible to do weights if you can't stand?

Doesn't make sense to me for a team modeling itself as a tough defense with a relentless running game and a QB with accuracy issues to draft a deep threat WR when that same team lost both its EDGE rushers and Montez Sweat was available. 

Not trying to be a **** or anything because the Ravens are the team I want to win the division and be able to beat the Patriots, but I hated this draft pick for your team. 

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

I've seen this elsewhere but, as someone who's never set foot in a gym before, I don't understand it.  Is it not possible to do weights if you can't stand?

Depending on your frame, you mostly apply gains on the thighs and butt which would obviously limit him in that regard.

5 hours ago, drd23 said:

3 hours ago, Danand said:

Depending on your frame, you mostly apply gains on the thighs and butt which would obviously limit him in that regard.

Yup. Also muscle weighs more than fat. So I’m not suggesting that he lost all his muscle after not hitting the gym for a few months, but I’m sure that’s also a big part of it. He’s not likely to gain much volume, but his weight would likely increase just based off of muscle gains alone.

And of course like Dan said the legs are going to be a prime spot to pick up those muscle gains (because the size of those muscles down there).

Just as a comparison, I was 166 at 5'6 when I played runningback. When I made the shift to safety and my training regime changed, I went down a couple of pounds simply because I didnt squat as much.

While he looks skinny, he can still have a very dense build, which can be sufficient to withstand the punishment in the league.

There is always a worry about injuries because of the small build but honestly you have to catch him first and he seems like a great player that will do great things in this league. I’m super excited about the possibilities. This defense and offense can be fun to watch! Let’s get to work!

25 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Damn, according to the experts, Hollywood is going to bust.

Yea...Marlon was all over that thing a couple years ago too. :ph34r:

Honestly a lot of it is just the general perception of the Ravens' offense, QBs, and their WRs. If Marquise went to the Patriots, everyone would be tripping over themselves to declare him a steal and huge boom candidate. 

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Yea...Marlon was all over that thing a couple years ago too. :ph34r:

Honestly a lot of it is just the general perception of the Ravens' offense, QBs, and their WRs. If Marquise went to the Patriots, everyone would be tripping over themselves to declare him a steal and huge boom candidate. 

That perception isn't wrong, tbh. All of our offseason moves so far have indicated a strong indignation to run the ball A LOT and throw deep otherwise. I really, really doubt we're going to see Lamar Jackson straight up dropback pass out of shotgun much this year. We're likely to be a heavily PA/zone run/read option team.

49 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

That perception isn't wrong, tbh. All of our offseason moves so far have indicated a strong indignation to run the ball A LOT and throw deep otherwise. I really, really doubt we're going to see Lamar Jackson straight up dropback pass out of shotgun much this year. We're likely to be a heavily PA/zone run/read option team.

And I think that's fine. If the running game is working the way it did last year with Jackson under center that's a plus. It's also why I prefer big-play threats like Brown and potentially Boykin at WR. Need the ability to make the most of the limited attempts in the passing game. The "safe" options are there at TE and Snead. 

13 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

And I think that's fine. If the running game is working the way it did last year with Jackson under center that's a plus. It's also why I prefer big-play threats like Brown and potentially Boykin at WR. Need the ability to make the most of the limited attempts in the passing game. The "safe" options are there at TE and Snead. 

The thing that worries me is that last year we didn't attempt many (if any) shots down the field with John Brown, though. It was basically runs + passes to our TE's or Willie Snead.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The thing that worries me is that last year we didn't attempt many (if any) shots down the field with John Brown, though. It was basically runs + passes to our TE's or Willie Snead.

That's where the "new" offense and Lamar's progression comes in. Hopefully.

And I don't think the chemistry between Lamar and Marquise can be as bad as it was between Lamar and John. Things can only go up. 

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

That's where the "new" offense and Lamar's progression comes in. Hopefully.

And I don't think the chemistry between Lamar and Marquise can be as bad as it was between Lamar and John. Things can only go up. 

And that right there is why I don't fault people for not instantly assuming we're going to suddenly become a deep throwing PA team, because we had deep threats last year and didn't use them. Lamar's not suddenly going to be a great deep ball thrower this year (not that he isn't already, we just never really tried it?). So I don't blame people for not making assumptions when it comes to our offense right now. That unit has a lot to prove.

9 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And that right there is why I don't fault people for not instantly assuming we're going to suddenly become a deep throwing PA team, because we had deep threats last year and didn't use them. Lamar's not suddenly going to be a great deep ball thrower this year (not that he isn't already, we just never really tried it?). So I don't blame people for not making assumptions when it comes to our offense right now. That unit has a lot to prove.

At the same time it is not hard to fault people for believing the offense is going to look exactly the same as last season. Going from Flacco to Jackson at QB is about as drastic a change as you can make and the offense certainly wasn't tailored to Lamar at that point. Nor did it really change a whole lot conceptually for the rest of the year. Just the plays that were called. I am a believer in scheming making a huge difference and this is certainly a case where it's necessary. Thinking Jackson isn't going to get better is another issue entirely but I don't see how that won't happen either. Not going to open that can of worms at the moment though. 

20 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

At the same time it is not hard to fault people for believing the offense is going to look exactly the same as last season. Going from Flacco to Jackson at QB is about as drastic a change as you can make and the offense certainly wasn't tailored to Lamar at that point. Nor did it really change a whole lot conceptually for the rest of the year. Just the plays that were called. I am a believer in scheming making a huge difference and this is certainly a case where it's necessary. Thinking Jackson isn't going to get better is another issue entirely but I don't see how that won't happen either. Not going to open that can of worms at the moment though. 

I guess I should've been more clear - I don't fault anyone for making any assumptions about our offense at this point. It's a complete unknown as far as I'm concerned.