Pick is in, #24 Josh Jacobs RB Alabama

true2form

This video was where I first found out I really liked Josh Jacobs, specifically the play around 6 minutes on the goal line.

Awesome pick, favorite draft by the Raiders since Mack, Carr and Gabe

Edited by Trojan

His scouting report: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/josh-jacobs?id=32194a41-4373-4615-60ca-982d07046841

Strengths
  • Built like you want with low center of gravity and sturdy frame
  • Forceful and violent as a finisher
  • Gives extra effort for successful short-yardage carries
  • Stout base to balance through contact and beyond
  • Patient but decisive on outside zone runs
  • Allows blockers to do their jobs
  • Instinctive with timing for quick cuts off of block development
  • Comfortable as a single back or behind a lead blocker
  • Has gas to bounce it to and around the corner
  • Footwork for controlled cuts in tight quarters
  • Good effectiveness as a pass-catcher
  • Used out of backfield in packages
  • Has ability to track the ball like a receiver
Weaknesses
  • Low percentage of explosive carries
  • Might not have enough speed to hit the home run
  • Gather and cut is slightly exaggerated
  • Tends to keep gas pedal mashed once he decides to go
  • Struggles to slow, gather and cut beyond second level
  • Doesn't create enough indecision in open-field tacklers
  • Content to default into heavy contact
  • Rarely counted on to handle blitz pick-up duties on third downs

Another solid but wished for something more pick. Felt he would have been there at 27 and maybe 35 but we took him at 24 and it sounds like Sweat would have been the 27th pick had Jay not jumped Jon. LOL Should have flipped that and felt Gruden influenced picking him there as Mayock/D cord got their choice first.

Should be a solid starter soon and hopefully a Frank Gore type for us.

2nd edit after reading his story...I'm SOLD!!! Really glad he's on the team and hope he has a very successful career. His Pops impresses me. Couldn't always provide but made sure it was enough and kept the focus really good all things considering. I see why they took him at 24. Still think he would have lasted but he really could be our Gore...

Edited by G

The more I watch and read about this pick... The more I love it.  He reminds me of Lynch the way he lowers the hammer at the end of runs.  He's constantly looking for more yardage.  Doesn't just give up on runs.  He has wiggle, he has boom. The heart of a lion.  I may have a new favorite Raider.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Totty said:

The more I watch and read about this pick... The more I love it.  He reminds me of Lynch the way he lowers the hammer at the end of runs.  He's constantly looking for more yardage.  Doesn't just give up on runs.  He has wiggle, he has boom. The heart of a lion.  I may have a new favorite Raider.  

The one thing about these picks is that they will all be easy to root for.

• Like 1

I really liked Montez Sweat, but I think it was the correct order to go Josh Jacobs 24 and Montez Sweat or Johnathan Abram at 27.
Originally it was OAK, PHI, IND, OAK and realistically those three players would have made since to both Oakland, Philly and Indy. Abram would have been a sick compliment to Hooker or an heir to Malcolm Jenkins, Jacobs would have been an awesome compliment to Marlon Mack or Jordan Howard, and you can always take an edge like Sweat.

When the Ravens popped behind us though, the threat of Josh Jacobs as a compliment to a younger back (Howard/Mack) it was now a compliment to Mark Ingram on a team that historically chugs Alabama prospects lol. I would have been scared Josh Jacobs would get taken by Baltimore. If we land Zach Allen or Charles Omenihu I think we will have a real line, and I'm not convinced there is a better RB fit for our team or a better SS (I like Nasir for a FS for the other elite safety prospect).

I feel like we got a discount Zeke Elliot/Sony Michel, a Derrick Morgan/Derek Barnett type end, and a Keanu Neal like safety.

5 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Yea his top end speed is the only real weakness tbh. He's good but not a major threat to break it all the way. That's fine. Ill take consistent 1st downs any day.

Top end speed is more of a luxury than a necessity when it comes to RBs. Le'Veon Bell doesn't have great end speed either.

• Like 1