Pick is in, #24 Josh Jacobs RB Alabama

true2form

We'll see what a dynamic RB can do for gruden. He can pass protect, run routes and catch, and run with power and elusiveness. He has kamara-ish traits in terms of how he moves and his frame, but they are different runners.

He could be a pro bowler year 1 and help us win a lot of games.

As a pure player, he may be the key to our win total this year and that's saying something.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rolni said:

I really like him as a player, the value of the RB selection in the first round is questionable to me, but it is up to Gruden now to use him well enough...

Can run, can block, can catch, has good vision, has burst...he really is a total RB...the elite speed is the only thing missing from being an elite prospect.

Great guy, great character...easy to root for him

Totally agree with this, I like Jacobs as a prospect and you can't help but root for him but taking a RB prospect in the 1st with Jacobs lack of starter experience and playing on that star studded Crimson Tide team does make me a little nervous. Now I know we should judge on the individual's skills, but there's been plenty of Alabama running backs who've looked awesome in college only to underwhelm in the NFL and you wonder if the surrounding talent made them look better than they actually were.

I do like Jacobs though and love his attitude to blocking, that is a good sign. 

I think the draft consensus has gone a little far in devaluing running back as much as it has. Although a productive running game is not hard to manufacture and can be accomplished without a top tier talent, a top back changes the way defenses play offenses which open things up in the passing game. My hope and belief is that Jacobs is good enough for teams to have to pick their poison of having to deal with Carr and Brown or the offensive line and Jacobs. Usually teams will sell out to stop the run first so the passing game should be wide open if Jacobs proves himself early in the year.

Another thing about elite backs is between their movement ability and vision, they make yards that a lesser back could see or get. I've watched a fair amount of Saquon offseason and man, he is special and is absolutely creating yards out of thin air. Good backs bring an extra blocker with them, great backs bring two--some runs Saquan looks like he's out there with three or four extra blockers. I don't think Jacobs is that good, but I think he brings at least one extra blocker with him pretty consistently--which is good enough for me.

• Like 4

This is great: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/29/nfl-draft-fmia-peter-king/

Thursday night. Round one. Pick 22 on the clock. Baltimore up, then Houston at 23, Oakland at 24, Philadelphia at 25. Two more picks for the Raiders to sweat out before they choose a player at 24 they’d targeted right here for the last three months.

“There’s been a trade,” someone in the Raiders’ draft room calls out. “Philadelphia’s got 22 now. Eagles on the clock.”

NOOOOO!

The rookie GM running his first draft, Mike Mayock, froze. “I’m like, ‘Sh–!’ Moment of panic. THE EAGLES JUMPED US FOR OUR GUY.”

The coach, Jon Gruden, who’d irascibly told Mayock he’d better not screw up the Raiders’ three-pick first round, jumped out of his chair, seething. “There goes our running back,” Gruden said. Coach and GM knew the Eagles loved the same player they did, Alabama running back Josh Jacobs, and now, moving up from 25 in trade, the Eagles would be in position to steal the guy Gruden had his heart set on making one of the three cornerstone players in his offense.

Thirty seconds passed, maybe. Mayock studied terms of the trade, and while he did, defensive coordinator Paul Guenther called out, “Wait—the Eagles traded ahead of Houston too.”

That’s right, Mayock thought. The Eagles didn’t just jump us. They jumped Houston too. They went ahead of Houston to Baltimore.

“Wait a minute, Jon,” Mayock said to Gruden. “I think this is about the tackle. They’re not going up for the running back.”

“Really?” Gruden said.

Mayock knows everyone in football from his 18 years being a media draftmeister. He knows Eagles GM Howie Roseman especially well, being a Philly guy and the color guy on Eagle preseason games the past five years. He knows the Eagle roster, and he knows the Roseman trading zeitgeist—he won’t waste draft capital trading farther up than he needs. Word on the NFL street was that Houston’s number one tackle was Washington State’s Andre Dillard. So the Eagles had to be angling for Dillard.

They were, as it turned out. Dillard to the Eagles at 22. We’re home free, Mayock thought. Tytus Howard to Houston at 23. And now …

“Can I call him?” said Gruden, suddenly a Golden Retriever, all bouncy and eager. “Can I call?”

“Hang on,” Mayock said. The NFL had asked teams to please not choose till at least five minutes of their 10-minute first-round time limit had passed, so the league could do the TV-presentation stuff and not get the picks all backed up. With five minutes left in the period, Mayock said go ahead, call Josh Jacobs.

One cliché to consider right here is, There’s a new sheriff in town.

• Like 1

Meh he better show out cause this is the only 1st round pick I’m still meh about. 

Dont see the difference between him and the Iowa st kid David Montgomery 

rather picked sweat or trade down and get David Montgomery in the 3rd

dont see anything that special about Jacobs so I hope he proves me wrong 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh he better show out cause this is the only 1st round pick I’m still meh about. 

Dont see the difference between him and the Iowa st kid David Montgomery 

rather picked sweat or trade down and get David Montgomery in the 3rd

dont see anything that special about Jacobs so I hope he proves me wrong 

I was saying this exactly before the draft and got shouted down.

Now that he is a Raiders though, I hope he is Bo Jackson reborn or at least doesn't fumble, lose balance or run straight into blockers.

• Like 1

What type of player are you guys expecting him to be? I've seen the Alvin Kamara comparison thrown around a few times. Jacobs ran a 4.52 at his 2nd pro-day so they're pretty comparable in terms of physical profile and athleticism. 

Edited by NYRaider

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

What type of player are you guys expecting him to be? I've seen the Alvin Kamara comparison thrown around a few times. Jacobs ran a 4.52 at his 2nd pro-day so they're pretty comparable in terms of physical profile and athleticism. 

I've said Kamara or Bell lite.

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I've said Kamara or Bell lite.

I don't see Kamara in him. They seem like different they have different styles and body types at a glance. I feel like AK has more slash and burst is leaner and longer. While Jacobs is stockier with more power and definitely less football speed.

I'd compare

LaDainian Tomlinson - Sony Michel - Alvin Kamara

Emmitt Smith - Kareem Hunt - Josh Jacobs