2019 1.26 (26) Washington Redskins select EDGE Montez Sweat, Mississippi State

Woz

I was definitely thinking WR if they traded back into the first to team with Haskins so he could have a running mate from Day 1.  That being said, I can't argue with this pick.  Sweat was mocked by some to the Redskins at the 15th pick originally.  While he does have the heart issue, we have made out well with a few players recently who have had injury concerns- Jonathan Allen immediately comes to mind.  Sweat definitely makes an immediate impact and will strengthen the front seven immensely. 

I'm still worried about inside linebacker and safety, however.  Big, athletic tight-ends, and running backs out of the backfield are going to be a huge problem for us this year

At the very least, it's seemed that we've learned the draft game well from the two years Scot McCloughan spent here.  Go BPA on your board no matter what.  

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I was definitely thinking WR if they traded back into the first to team with Haskins so he could have a running mate from Day 1.  That being said, I can't argue with this pick.  Sweat was mocked by some to the Redskins at the 15th pick originally.  While he does have the heart issue, we have made out well with a few players recently who have had injury concerns- Jonathan Allen immediately comes to mind.  Sweat definitely makes an immediate impact and will strengthen the front seven immensely. 

I'm still worried about inside linebacker and safety, however.  Big, athletic tight-ends, and running backs out of the backfield are going to be a huge problem for us this year

At the very least, it's seemed that we've learned the draft game well from the two years Scot McCloughan spent here.  Go BPA on your board no matter what.  

At least we have young talent to compete at ILB & S with:

Reuben Foster, SDH, JHC along w/ Mason Foster the vet. They can also bring back Vigil.

To complete at S opposite Collins they have Nicholson, Apke and Everett 

There is still talent in FA too to add at both positions if we feel we need to in trying camp. I mean Eric Berry is still available 

We got the two steals of the draft genre fellas. Both of them are top 5 talents that fell for different reasons. They both have huge chips on their shoulders and are extremely hard workers at their different crafts.

I expect great things from these two and along w/ the good players we already have and the good to great draft picks we've made since we got rid of a certain someon, . I expect Haskins & Sweat to lead in change the direction of this franchise along w/ Allen, Payne, Collins, Scherff and Guice.

Our future looks/seems bright w/ the young talent we have and the new additions.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

They’re not even similar players to be honest. Sweat ran a 40 time three tenths of a second faster. Three tenths! Unless just the soft part is what you have. 

Yeah you can't deny Sweat's physical traits. He is certainly a beast. But so was Preston Smith under the radar. I don't think he's a great fit at ROLB. He really doesn't use his speed to rush  and he doesn't have a great bend. But he does use his hands and he does have a powerful rush. I think he has a learning curve to play a 3-4. I think he'll probably be a solid player but never an all pro type player. He seems awkward out there to me, he's an athlete trying to play football. I've never seen him drop back in coverage. He got kicked out of MSU for a reason and the issues with coach ability should raise some eyebrows. Although I think he'll be fine here as long as Spa Camp Gruden is here.

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

Yeah you can't deny Sweat's physical traits. He is certainly a beast. But so was Preston Smith under the radar. I don't think he's a great fit at ROLB. He really doesn't use his speed to rush  and he doesn't have a great bend. But he does use his hands and he does have a powerful rush. I think he has a learning curve to play a 3-4. I think he'll probably be a solid player but never an all pro type player. He seems awkward out there to me, he's an athlete trying to play football. I've never seen him drop back in coverage. He got kicked out of MSU for a reason and the issues with coach ability should raise some eyebrows. Although I think he'll be fine here as long as Spa Camp Gruden is here.

Watch that swim move😍😍😍. And he has good lean idk about bend but when he puts his arm outside and leans into tackles to come around the edge he’s a beast. Disengages good from blocks on sweep runs too

Just saw this on YouTube and I'm not going to debate if it matters or not when it comes to playing football. I watched draft on NFL Network and this clip is from ESPN. It's not hard to connect the dots with this, but I will say the heart issue may have been fabricated to an extent to give teams a reason to pass on him other than the reason they did.

Watch this clip, connect the dots and you will see why he fell to us in the back half of the first round.