2019 NFL Draft Day 2 Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

CWood21

11 minutes ago, boratt said:

Anthony Nelson DE - still growing into 6’7” body. High upside

was just reading/watching him earlier tonight.

9.23 RAS, 6'7", 271 lb, sub 7.0 3cone, 35.5" vert

needs to get stronger, but this guy just looks like he's going to have a 10 year NFL career...

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

was just reading/watching him earlier tonight.

9.23 RAS, 6'7", 271 lb, sub 7.0 3cone, 35.5" vert

needs to get stronger, but this guy just looks like he's going to have a 10 year NFL career...

Yeah. He’s one of my favs in this draft. Good player but I can see him being great too if it all comes together.

iowa kids never seem maxed out either. They always seem to rise up once they hit the NFL

Edited by boratt

GREEN BAY PACKERS

2019 NFL Draft - DAY 2

Day Two -

OFFENSIVE WEAPON - The board has some intriguing Offensive Weapons and it lines up perfectly with where the Packers will be picking and how the Board looks like it will fall. This pick is 90% WR or Irv Smith.

Round 2, Pick 12 (44 overall):

a. AJ Brown WR Ole Miss

b. Irv Smith TE Alabama

c. Parris Campbell WR Ohio State

d. Trade Back, recoup 3rd or 4th Round pick, Select:

Jachai Polite DE Florida (If the players listed above are gone in the first few picks, I like everyone's ex-girlfriend, J Polite DE Florida)

OFFENSIVE LINE - Unloading both 4th Rounders ties our hands and means we need an OT with this pick, especially if Round 2 is an offensive weapon. Max Scharping or Yodney Cajuste. Michael Deiter can play anywhere along the line.

Round 3, Pick 11 (75 overall): All options in Round 3 follow trading back to recoup a 4th Round Pick

Trade Back, recoup 4th Round pick, Select:

a. Max Scharping OT N Illinois

b. Yodney Cajuste OT West Virginia

c. Michael Deiter OL Wisconsin

Round 4, Recouping: If Round 2 results in a WR, then TE. If the pick was Irv Smith TE, then WR. If OT is BPA.

a. Andy Isabella WR UMASS / Deebo Samuel WR South Carolina

b. Josh Oliver TE San Jose St/ Jace Sternberger Texas A&M

BOOK IT!

Because we need to remember that the Packers do it their way, it is almost guaranteed that by the end of the draft, _________________ will be a Packer.

I'll say: David Sills V WR West Virginia

Day 2 really needs to produce a WR that can be the weapon Rodgers needs as well as a TE that can stretch the field and there were only 3 in this draft that are sure things, and now we are down to one

I always think listening to the interviews after is a good way to get a grasp on the FO's reasoning behind the selections. Sometimes people let slip more than they intend to. Sometimes its just nice to confirm what you suspect from the horse's mouth.
Kinda combining that with what we already know, I came away with a few thoughts moving forward with regards to this current FO

-Different guys build teams different ways.

Obvious right? But I think I've been guilty of associating tendencies with the previous regime to this one. Even when consciously knowing they're obviously different. 
Gute might be a TT disciple but he really, really seems to place a premium on athleticism and versatility when focusing on the draft and his free agency.
He makes moves that open up other moves.
This isn't the same rigid Packers of old anymore. 

The Smiths and Gary can move around at LB and along the line. Wouldn't be surprised if DL isn't addressed this draft. Likewise, wouldn't be surprised if another EDGE prospect is brought into the fray later on today. Or a LB. Or a 5T. Whatever. They can go wherever they want on that front 7 at this point and focus on the best player available.
Which I think the front 7 will be addressed once more on day 2.

Same can be said at DB. With the Amos signing - Is he better at some things than others? Sure. But he has the versatility to allow you to target that BPA on the backend. In comes Savage. You need a missile down in the box? Cool. Nickel? Cool. Center Field? Yup. Savage has that felxability. The ability to move these pieces around on the backend will allow us to take whoever presents themselves the BPA moving forward. Need a CB or another S that specializes in the box or on the backend? A pure nickel corner or safety? A guy who can play some LB? 
We have the flexibility to feel comfortable about a ton of prospects moving forward.
Think we see another pick or two on the back end before this is all over.

The groundwork is really set on this defense and we have a guy calling plays who can take advantage of mismatches and those one on one matchups.

Can't remember the last time I was this excited for this unit. 

-Gute seems set on his tiers and will most definitely be comfortable moving around to ensure that he is getting the best/last of that talent available.
Get used to these trades. Especially at the top of the draft. We wanted a guy who didn't sit on his hands and wait for the board to fall to him. We definitely got one.

My best guess after listening to the man talk and with what we know about last year's trades, is that Gary and a few other guys (Allen? Oliver? Burns? Simmons?) were in the same tier. Gute didn't like the offers enough to move back so he stuck with his guy. He also mentioned that they were paying attention to safety-needy teams with regards to the position he took Savage and that they didn't view the group as particularly deep (surprising but I'm sure he was focusing on that flexibility and the skillset. Possible it was just Savage and a guy like Adderly at the top there)
Also seems possible that Savage was at the top of that next tier for Gute.

This guy is gonna target value at its' source. Gute must have mentioned this was 'the best defensive draft in a long time' like 6 times in his presser/interview. I really don't think they were going Offense today unless a Fant or Lindstrom had some crazy fall. 

I guess all of this stuff is pretty obvious after the fact idk. Sometimes it just helps to type it out.
Could probably just not post this since I got what I needed out of writing it but maybe it helps someone out moving forward.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

OT

TE, ILB

Graham and Bulaga are probably moving on in the next two years and hopefully Martinez isn't getting the big check from us. Get their replacements in early.

Adams/Graham/MVS/EQ/Allison is just fine.

Ditto

OT and TE tonight for me

21 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

OT

TE, ILB

Graham and Bulaga are probably moving on in the next two years and hopefully Martinez isn't getting the big check from us. Get their replacements in early.

I agree. But day three is loaded with steals at WR. Hope we move back and recoup a few picks. Too many steals there. No one is a "must have" unless they love Risner or someone else on OL. Parris Campbell is low hanging fruit but the value is day three. There are some great TEs through round four. Savage really better be better than Thornhill, CGJ, Adderly -- I do think he has extra speed AND quicks as well. But two 4s in this draft is a tough pill. On the other hand......Gute hinted he loves this defense class, which I'm down with.

And I am seriously trying to become the number one Rashan Gary fan in the state of Wisconsin. He's gonna be what Clowney was supposed to be. Honestly, he got most unjustly ragged on. Kid worked his tail off -- he's just a baby who will benefit from Daniels and the Smiths. When he grows up and n a year or two, we will have a monster and the number one pick in the draft. Get excited!!!!!!

23 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

I agree. But day three is loaded with steals at WR. Hope we move back and recoup a few picks. Too many steals there. No one is a "must have" unless they love Risner or someone else on OL. Parris Campbell is low hanging fruit but the value is day three. There are some great TEs through round four. Savage really better be better than Thornhill, CGJ, Adderly -- I do think he has extra speed AND quicks as well. But two 4s in this draft is a tough pill. On the other hand......Gute hinted he loves this defense class, which I'm down with.

And I am seriously trying to become the number one Rashan Gary fan in the state of Wisconsin. He's gonna be what Clowney was supposed to be. Honestly, he got most unjustly ragged on. Kid worked his tail off -- he's just a baby who will benefit from Daniels and the Smiths. When he grows up and n a year or two, we will have a monster and the number one pick in the draft. Get excited!!!!!!

Day 3 is always loaded with steals at WR. If there's one you like, fine. If not, no harm done. We've got maybe 2 more picks that have any kind of projectable future.

Also I feel like Clowney is a pretty damn good player to be labeling a disappointment. Gary has just as many questions about his notice that Clowney did and isn't as athletically gifted.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

OT

TE, ILB

On the same boat here, though if the board is falling nicely I'd consider a move back so we can get a WR and a TE. But WR is definitely a lower priority vs OT and TE. Feel like there's going to be a WR run at the top of the 2nd, so hopefully one of Ford/Risner/Taylor gets pushed down to us. Knox in the 3rd would intrigue me.