Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
true2form

Pick is in, #27 Jonathan Abram S Mississippi State.

Recommended Posts

Murphy’s been my dude.  Would be ecstatic if he was ours at 35.  Wanted him at 24 lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And yet ANOTHER solid but unspectacular pick where I saw so much more I wanted. With Greedy and his business decisions I actually think his game will improve with his rookie contract. I thought I read something about him being a father and taking care of his family and he was so good his first season, I think he's top 5 player who made a decision to hold back to not ruin his families future. He didn't have to give 100% and I've never done 100% in my life and I've still succeeded without as much effort as I could give. Creating habits and being consistent (tortuse) has worked well for me compared to pushing hard and not being able to sustain that effort (hare) but I think this is different for all of us. 30 years in a gym compared to a New Years resolution...Always wonder about that story of a turtle beating a rabbit. I understand it now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

https://youtu.be/L69CcnhBqug

 

Abram on Adam Lefkoes podcast. An outstanding listen. 

The guy is so easy to root for and has so much confidence lol. He says his favorite RB in the draft is Jacobs and Clemson's DL are all the real deal. Some good tidbits for sure. Knew so much about the podcast's history and more about the draft class than Adam, even 2018s class. You can tell he does his research. 

Also talked about his transfer from Georgia and how he came down to LSU, Bama, and Miss State once he transferred.

Edited by CaliforniaKid7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an interesting one. Although I'd heard that the staff liked Adderley, Rapp and Savage, I hadn't really given much attention to the safety class where, seemingly there are about 5-7 players all ranked relatively similarly. I think I'd assumed if we were to go S, we'd go for more of a FS than SS but perhaps because of the fact that we have some relative depth there (with Joyner and the re-signing of Harris), we could afford to get the guy we liked the best.

Now I've had a chance to have a quick look at his strengths, the more I like the pick. As much as KJo picked up at the end of last year and had a few decent games, we have been so poor a S for so long. One of the reasons Nelson hung around so long is that he served as a leader in the middle at the back. KJo certainly has never been able to take on that mantle and I think a large part of that is a lack of fully understanding either the assignments or his role. Lots of blown coverages over time. Abram looks every bit the leader and someone who might be able to direct DBs, as Nelson did, but without all the limitations. 

I hope that with both he and Joyner, we'll have lots of flexibility and some high IQ leaders who can understand Guenther's D and have the talent to actually run it properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problem with Abrams being the picking because I think his talent fits the selection. He's definitely a player they have a plan for because Abrams skillset is very specific. I suspect he and Joyner will be the "down" players in nickel with Harris or Riley being the single high guy. Joseph being the odd man out.

I honestly could also see him starting at linebacker: he's that strong and that physical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I have no problem with Abrams being the picking because I think his talent fits the selection. He's definitely a player they have a plan for because Abrams skillset is very specific. I suspect he and Joyner will be the "down" players in nickel with Harris or Riley being the single high guy. Joseph being the odd man out.

I honestly could also see him starting at linebacker: he's that strong and that physical.

I wondered about the LB thing as well. Not as a full time position switch really, but playing him in a role where he spends time at LB or SS depending on the situation. I love his physicality, closing speed, and power. Really solid player overall, and a guy I could definitely see ending up as a premier safety in the NFL a few years down the road. He and Joyner are the long term safeties, and while Joyner might play a lot of nickel, he'll still see some single high. I think versatility, especially in the backend is important on defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

I wondered about the LB thing as well. Not as a full time position switch really, but playing him in a role where he spends time at LB or SS depending on the situation. I love his physicality, closing speed, and power. Really solid player overall, and a guy I could definitely see ending up as a premier safety in the NFL a few years down the road. He and Joyner are the long term safeties, and while Joyner might play a lot of nickel, he'll still see some single high. I think versatility, especially in the backend is important on defense. 

I think he might even be able to cut it as a full-time backer. The defensive front last season did a pretty good job at keeping the second level clean but the linebacker play was so subpar that it didn't really matter. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Abram start at weakside backer in base and inside in nickel. Would give Joseph starting role on the team, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s everything Kar Joseph was suppose to be. 

Bittersweet though cause Joseph was a good starter, it’s like we didn’t really “add” a starter. Just upgraded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is interesting. I never really considered K-Jo would/should play FS. Can anyone recall him doing much single high stuff? I know PG loves moving S's around and they are all somewhat interchangeable, but still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

This is interesting. I never really considered K-Jo would/should play FS. Can anyone recall him doing much single high stuff? I know PG loves moving S's around and they are all somewhat interchangeable, but still.

KJ played some FS in college, especially his first year. 

He’s good at it but his skillset screams Strong Safety. Joseph would do an ok job at FS but you’re wasting most of his skillset. 

As a SS, Joseph is an Early 2nd Round Talent.

As a FS I’d say he’s more of a Late 3rd Round Talent, but he can play it and do well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At most, I think Joseph is our 3rd safety. Why would we pay Joyner so much to not play him at S? Is our base going to be 4-2-5? Or have 3 CBs? I still have love for Joseph but I think he gets flipped for a pick this weekend. Harris showed some good stuff in spurts last year and can be a rotational S imo. Would like him on STs too. Finding a 4th safety wouldn't be hard and would cost less than KJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×