Pick is in, #27 Jonathan Abram S Mississippi State.

true2form

I rewatched Abram and feel I've figured it out.

Last year we weren't good at covering tight ends, running backs, and covering the middle in general. Abram will do all of those things and may even play like a small LB in 3 safety looks. He's also an unbelievable blitzer and shows the ability to shed blocks. He'll be a nice chess piece, similar to Joyner. This will allow Guenther to show more looks and bring pressure from more places. Physically, he's not so far off from Jamal Adams. I'm not saying he's Jamal Adams, because that guy was an elite prospect, but he's closer to it than one might think. 

I don't think "box safety" does him any justice. He's a tackling machine who can cover, who you WANT in the box because of what kind of impact he can have there.

• Like 1

On 26/04/2019 at 7:19 PM, BayRaider said:

He’s everything Kar Joseph was suppose to be. 

Bittersweet though cause Joseph was a good starter, it’s like we didn’t really “add” a starter. Just upgraded. 

I think we should wait until he actually steps foot on an NFL field before we make assumptions like that. I feel a little sorry for Joseph as I don't think he has been used correctly until very recently when, surprise, surprise he actually starting playing well. Joseph's achilles heel has always been his size matchup on larger targets like TEs. I'm sure Joseph, Abram and Joyner can all co-exist in our defensive backfield and IMHO Joseph has the most range of all 3 and though they might interchange, he'd be my preferred choice at FS of the 3.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I wonder if we will see some big nickel packages. Karl played well down the stretch and might be best to have him out there and Abram. 

If Joseph is on the team, I expect him to by the overtop guy. He's actually quite good at playing downhill from a distance and picking up deep routes over the middle.

Back when I did my post Super Bowl/pre-combine mock I mocked Abram at 24 writing this:

He's quickly becoming a draft crush for me. Toward the end of last season the Raiders played a heavy amount of 3-safety looks with Gilchrist playing a lot in the box. Abram is cut from a similar cloth as Derwin James and can do a lot of similar things as him if Guenther is willing to get creative. Abram also provides assurance for when Joseph likely departs after next season. Abram can also play weakside backer

This was before the team signed Joyner--who I expect to role down and play slot corner in nickel--but I'm liking the idea of starting Abram at linebacker. I likened Abram to Derwin James in this mock so I went back and watched some tape on James and he basically plays outside linebacker for the Chargers (something I also noted during the season and ranked James as an outside backer instead of a safety in the 2018 draft). Abram has a lot of the same skills James has except he's not as long, but he's just as fast, just as tenacious, and probably better at shedding blockers.

I think Abram's role will be variable depending on the opponent, but I really like this pick the more I think about it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Hoping Karl balls out, gets a big FA deal in 2020 and the Raiders get a compensatory pick.

Round 1 next year, there is a guy by the name Grant Delpit who would pair perfectly with Abram. 

Agreed. People can hope Joseph/Abram is the safety tandem of the future if they want but that’s not gonna happen. Regardless of his play, even an All Pro year, I think he’s gone after this year. He can play FS but he’ll never be a true FS and skillset is mostly a SS. We are also not gonna pay a guy a substantial amount of money to have three safety sets. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Round 1 next year, there is a guy by the name Grant Delpit who would pair perfectly with Abram. 

I've seen Delpit being touted as the best S to come out since Berry. He's likely going top 5 and we sure as hell not be picking that high (unless Bears suck).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I've seen Delpit being touted as the best S to come out since Berry. He's likely going top 5 and we sure as hell not be picking that high (unless Bears suck).

Why not? 3rd best QB in the AFC West. Tough schedule. Defense still has a lot of holes. Can they rush the passer?

Unless Derek Carr just goes off this year, I don't see how they win more than 5 games.

On paper right now, who are the worst looking team? Miami, Arizona, Giants? That's really it. Cincy, Jax maybe. There will be some surprise teams. But you can't sell me that right now the Raiders are not draft top 5 and likely top 5 in 2020. 

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Why not? 3rd best QB in the AFC West. Tough schedule. Defense still has a lot of holes. Can they rush the passer?

Unless Derek Carr just goes off this year, I don't see how they win more than 5 games.

On paper right now, who are the worst looking team? Miami, Arizona, Giants? That's really it. Cincy, Jax maybe. There will be some surprise teams. But you can't sell me that right now the Raiders are not draft top 5 and likely top 5 in 2020. 

You may be right with the schedule. I'm hoping for 8-8 if we grind and play teams tough.

At least this year we will have a chance. Last year the roster was hilariously bad. It'll take some time though.

if were picking in the top 5 again next year, chances are were looking for a QB.

I think we surprise some and are borderline .500. NFL changes fast. We were playing a lot better at the end of last season and we have a much more talented roster.