With the 32nd Pick of the NFL Draft the NE Patriots select...

Deadpulse

N'Keal Harry WR - Arizona State

Image result for n'keal harry

From NFL.com:

Harry is a native of the island of Saint Vincent, moving to Arizona with his grandmother when he was very young. It was a national story when he returned to the Caribbean nation for the first time since coming to the United States to see his mother and sister in December 2017. It was a story because Harry had shown himself a future pro during his first two years with the Sun Devils. The top 20 overall high school recruit (2,715 yards, 25 touchdowns in his two years at Chandler High School) became ASU's go-to weapon as a true freshman, starting all 12 games and leading all freshman nationally with 58 receptions (659 yards, five TD). Harry was a first-team All-Pac-12 choice as a sophomore, leading the conference with 87 receiving yards per game (82-1,142, eight TD) as a 13-game starter. He was a first-team all-conference pick as a junior, as well, covering 1,088 yards and scoring nine times on 73 receptions (14.9 average) in 12 games. He chose not to participate in the team's bowl game to prepare for the NFL Draft. Harry and Washington cornerback Byron Murphy have been friends since they both attended Marcos de Niza High School as sophomores.

Overview
Back-shoulder boss who thrives with contested catch opportunities outside the numbers but lacks explosive traits. Harry's ability to body-up opponents and win with ball skills is undeniable, but his inability to find a threatening top gear or shake loose from tight man coverage must be accounted for within his new employer's scheme. His experience playing inside should help and teams will love his impact as a run-blocker. His competitiveness and ability to come down with the ball could make him a productive member of wide receiver trio in short order.
Strengths
  • Highly competitive at everything he does
  • Consistently productive over three seasons
  • Fearless play demeanor with alpha swagger
  • Uses hands to swat coverage jam and release from press
  • Big, presentable target on slants and in zone work
  • Leverages and stems his way to open catch space
  • Plays with patience and poise to win combat catches
  • Strong hands and well-respected ball skills
  • Outworks opponents to carve out work space in tight quarters
  • Wins jump balls with well-timed leaps and frame to shield the finish
  • Stiff-arm getaways after the catch
  • Junkyard dog who is willing to scrap as a blocker
  • Can clinch and manhandle finesse corners in space
Weaknesses
  • Feet not quick enough in stutter-release vs
  • press
  • Tends to wear tight, press coverage for much of the route
  • Downhill speed fails to threaten most cornerbacks
  • NFL corners likely to squat on and squeeze his breaks and turns
  • Too upright slowing his route breaks
  • Suffered from a few focus drops headed into traffic
  • Needs better urgency getting up the field after catch
  • Below-average stop-start quickness to elude and accelerate
  • Wasn't a major factor in red zone

I'm not a big fan.  He has some insane catches and really good using his body to get into position.  But it just seems like he was a guy that just never got a lot of separation and would just fight for the ball which isn't the type of WR Brady usually likes.

I wonder if BB thinks they can fix his feet and will help him get a better release and do better getting separation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

I'm trying to like this. Gonna take a lot for me to warm up to it. He's so Aaron Dobson to me. At least they didn't ignore a position of need.

I wouldn't say that.  Dobson had no route skills and was extremely raw.  Harry high points ball has amazing leverage and elite ball skills.  I'm still concerned about him getting consistent separation but he knows how to use his body to get him some space or atleast enough where it turns into fight for ball which he tends to win.  His size and body control and ability to use leverage he should feast more on slants or anything where he can use his leverage to get open.

The more I think about it and talk the pick out the more I like it and I might be overrate importance of getting big separation with a guy with his skillset.

I think this is an accurate comparison. Fingers crossed:

NFL comparison: Marques Colston

Chris Trapasso: Here's a quote from Drew Brees, featured in an ESPN article, after Colston's first game with the Saints. "He's a big-play receiver. He's a possession receiver, he's a throw-it-up-and-let-him-jump and-get-it receiver." That is precisely the type of pass-catcher Harry is, and while he isn't a dazzling, separation creator as a route runner, he is surprisingly nimble after the catch and plays with powerful leg churn to carry defenders for extra yardage as he's finally being tackled. Colston is still the Saints all-time leading receiver and quietly crushed it from his rookie season all the way through his prime with six 1,000-yard campaigns. The big high-pointer finished with an average seasonal stat line of 71 catches, 975 yards, and 7.2 touchdowns in his 10 NFL seasons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

I think they will use him over the middle A LOT. He thrives in traffic and has shown great work in flats, crosses, slants, and seams. 

He's good all around. Middle, go route up up the seam and sidelines, hand off out of the backfield, screens, returns, blocking. Dude does everything exceptionally well.