I wish they would've done this last year instead

Magnus-Viktor

So Colbert and Tomlin finally pulled their heads out of their butts enough to know they needed to trade up and get a real LB to try and replace Shazier this year.  It would've been nice if they would've done a much cheaper trade up, for a much better player, last year instead.  Vander Esch was my boy last year and he would up 3rd in tackles with 140, plus 7 PDef and 2 INTs (which would've been tied for the lead on the team) and graded out as the 4th best LB in the NFL as a rookie with 11 starts.  6'4 1/4" 256 lbs, 33 7/8" arms, 39 1/2" vert, 6.88 3-cone, 4.15 SS, 4.65 speed with a 1.56 split.  His final collegiate season he had 141 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 picks, 5 PDef and 4 FF.  You couldn't draw up a linebacker any better than that.  Would've had to move up 9 spots for him, to 19, instead of #10, so could've done so cheaper as well.  With the extra 3rd, it was probably possible quite easily.  

Instead, we get a guy that's 5'11" 229 lbs (so basically a big, but short safety), with 32" arms, 40 1/2" vert, 6.93 3-cone, 4.23 SS, 10'4" broad, but he ran a 4.43 with a 1.53 split.  So Vander Esch was clearly superior in every category except the 40, and that is comparable given his size.  Meanwhile, we had another wasted season because they ignored ILB last year while they wasted the first round pick on a 3rd round safety.  In his final collegiate season, he had 66 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 0 INTs, 0 FF, and only 4 PDef.  They also gave up a 2 and next year's 3 to get him.  

Don't get me wrong.  This year's draft is already better than last year's, because they didn't take a 3rd rounder in the 1st, and didn't ignore LB.  I just wish they'd done it sooner, and for a better player.  Hubbard (TJ Watt 2.0 if he's in a 34 IMO) and Vander Esch would've been a LOT better than Edmunds and Washington.  

• Like 1

I am really surprised at what we gave up to move up. They gave up three premium pics now having no second round pick in the note early third round pick I just don't understand it. I mean really if you're going to move alright so first of all I went back and looked at the trade I did not realize they gave up their 20/20 pick in the third round. I feel better about this street because I would not be shocked if they trade back up into the second as well with one of the thirds and may be a fat or something. Well I don't love the deal I love that we went up and got a player that I have been quite frankly back and forth with. Having said that if they were willing to go up and get this guy this high I have to believe he's going to be a great player the last time they went up this high for any player was Troy Polamalu. And how they didn't even go up that high for him. Maybe I don't love how they got there but I love the first pick

Edited by wwhickok
  • Like 1

I want to expand on my thoughts here. We're going to get a compensatory pick for Le'Veon Bell now depending on how he performs it's going to be either a third-round pick or a 4th round pick in obviously a 3rd round pick is better but the fact of the matter is we are going to have an extra pick next year with Mike pretty much essentially eliminate the pic that we gave up next year. If I'm the Pittsburgh Steelers I am not trading the Oakland Raiders 3rd round pick but I would trade our own third round pick this year and it's 6th round pick perhaps to move up into the second even if it's the late 2nd. That would eliminate the second round pick you gave up and you don't need 10 players. Value wise the more I think about it and my initial reaction before I edited by above post was pretty harsh but the more I think about it I love this trade I love this pic I am completely on board with this for the first time in I want frankly in the first time since TJ Watt and I don't even know when the last time was before him I'm really excited about the season moving forward because of who they drafted

• Like 1

I think they're projecting a lot here.  Bush had crap for stats.  He's tiny.  But he's fast.  He'll surely greatly improve the coverage underneath.  I just mainly think it's stupid they didn't do this last year for Vander Esch.  Everyone knew the Cowboys were going to take him at 19.  So trade up to 18 to jump ahead of them just like they did this year to get ahead of the Bungals.  Maybe last season wouldn't have been a waste if we'd had a competent ILB in Vander Esch.  4.4 is always better than 4.6, but I think Vander Esch's size and tackling more than make up for that.  I guess we'll have to see.  Hopefully Bush is a stud.  My buddy that is a HUGE Michigan fan just loves him.  

Dude we didn’t have to do that either Darius Lenard who we all wanted or take back and but and get him last year dude was a beast went to SC state like hargrave and we blew it cuh mike tomblin only likes his Va\MD boys smh or small tweeners like him 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Bush had crap for stats.

He didn't really. He didn't have very many FF but his statlines are almost exactly the same as Shazier's coming out. Tons of tackles, TFL, and sacks. I think he'll be pretty good. We needed a guy that could fly around the field and stop big plays. That is exactly what Bush can do. He just needs to start taking the ball away.

Maybe they didn't do this last year because the teams that they were contacting either weren't looking to trade or were asking for too much. Just saying it's always a two way street. The closest similar trade to what they would have needed for Vander Esch I could find that DID happen was:

Green Bay traded a first-round selection (14th) to New Orleans in exchange for New Orleans's first- and fifth-round selections (27th and 147th) and a first-round selection in 2019

So the Saints gave up 2 1sts (1 future, but the value of the first would only likely get better than there other first) and a 5th for the move versus a 1st, a 2nd and future 3rd.

Edited by skywlker32

what about moving up1 or 2 spots for Evans last year? When the draft was near the steelers spot and Evans was still there I thought for sure , then colbert let the  Titans take him right ahead of the steelers. Then he reached for a RD3 talent in edmunds and then this year trades up severely for the ILB. This after signing 2 ILB last year, so he really is contradicting himself in consecutive seasons badly.  I suppose he could try to trade Williams and or Bostic, but right now this all looks really bad  outside of the fact that if Bush saves the day.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He didn't really. He didn't have very many FF but his statlines are almost exactly the same as Shazier's coming out. Tons of tackles, TFL, and sacks. I think he'll be pretty good. We needed a guy that could fly around the field and stop big plays. That is exactly what Bush can do. He just needs to start taking the ball away.

FF is a stat that players either have or they don't. Some just have that ability others like dupree aren't aware enough to consider it when the play is happening.  Even if Bush doesn't have the FF stats, his leadership and solid play will help the team.  Him and Baron could be starting by seasons end inside, a glimpse of the future .  I just have a problem seeing how Bush could cover a good TE , and that's the biggest mismatch in todays game . 

• Like 2

Just now, 3rivers said:

FF is a stat that players either have or they don't. Some just have that ability others like dupree aren't aware enough to consider it when the play is happening.  Even if Bush doesn't have the FF stats, his leadership and solid play will help the team.  Him and Baron could be starting by seasons end inside, a glimpse of the future .  I just have a problem seeing how Bush could cover a good TE , and that's the biggest mismatch in todays game . 

I don't think he'll be asked with covering TEs regularly. I think that job will go to Edmunds and/or Barron. Bush is going to be a seek and destroy missile. Troy wasn't very tall and he could cover a little. I see Bush as the type of player who is going to carry RBs down the seams and play mostly zone coverage to react to passes and routes. Also, I'd love to see Bush and Barron starting but I think Vince has the other job pretty locked up. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't think he'll be asked with covering TEs regularly. I think that job will go to Edmunds and/or Barron. Bush is going to be a seek and destroy missile. Troy wasn't very tall and he could cover a little. I see Bush as the type of player who is going to carry RBs down the seams and play mostly zone coverage to react to passes and routes. Also, I'd love to see Bush and Barron starting but I think Vince has the other job pretty locked up. 

Troy also had velcro hands and took good angles, you really can't compare to  Troy 1st ballot HOF ,  be more realistic.  Agree that they would be better with Baron and Bush but that won't happen until injuries force the issue.  I don't mind the Bush pick, but I thought Evans last year and CB this year would help more.  Could have traded down this year, got Murphy and then move up in RD2 and get WR.  It's all good - if the secondary STILL is a major weakness, Stephen A willed tomlin know about itxD

• Like 1