1.20 Noah Fant TE Iowa

Scoundrel

Noah Fant is the pick at 1.20. All Noah Fant discussion can be had here. 

I am happy with this pick. Was definitely afraid the pick was going to be Lock. Gives us a dynamic weapon to open up the offense. His blocking is really underrated. The trade value can be argued but at least we got some extra capital as opposed to taking him at 10. Some mocks had him in the top 10. 

5cc27bbb6decc.image.jpg?resize=400,267

The one true move TE with elite ceiling potential.  I hate the comp because of the baggage that comes with it, but Aaron Hernandez ceiling fits so much.  

The one flaw he has that's worrisome - his drops.   If it's a mental lapse thing, OK.  If it's actually bad hands...that's a problem.  Njoku is fighting drops, and it's killing his otherwordly skillset.  Hopefully that doesn't happen with Fant, the sky's the limit for him otherwise.   We should also recognize he's more a move TE, blocking isn't nearly as good as it is with his teammate Hockenson (no more Hockenstein since he's not with us lol).

Sudden, fluid, able to beat safeties and even some CB's straight up, and a catch radius that's ridiculous.   TE is rarely a good Rd1 investment, but there are always exceptions to the rule.  I believe OJ Howard will be that (I actually think he was showing that b4 he got hurt last year midway through his year 2), and I think Hock/Fant will too.  

4:28 - 4:39, watch Fant turn on the jets. 

I was watching some Kittle highlights last night and the variety of places they lined up him up bodes well for Fant. In-line, slot, out wide, motion, screen passes...they made a point to get Kittle out in space as much as possible and Fant is an even better athlete. 

Fant will be used similarly to Kittle and it's a huge win for us. He's great in the red zone and presents a mismatch up and down the field. I am hard pressed to find much wrong with this selection outside of "positional value." He's a willing blocker, even if he's not incredible at it. I'll take a guy who makes the effort and can be coached up. I'm incredibly excited about having him in the fold.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

I was watching some Kittle highlights last night and the variety of places they lined up him up bodes well for Fant. In-line, slot, out wide, motion, screen passes...they made a point to get Kittle out in space as much as possible and Fant is an even better athlete. 

Yep and if you watch those highlights he’s already running routes and being used in ways that Scangerello will use him in.  He’ll come in already understanding these concepts.

19 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

17 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Fant will be used similarly to Kittle and it's a huge win for us. He's great in the red zone and presents a mismatch up and down the field. I am hard pressed to find much wrong with this selection outside of "positional value." He's a willing blocker, even if he's not incredible at it. I'll take a guy who makes the effort and can be coached up. I'm incredibly excited about having him in the fold.

16 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Yep and if you watch those highlights he’s already running routes and being used in ways that Scangerello will use him in.  He’ll come in already understanding these concepts.

The Iowa system is one of the few that really puts NFL level option routes and assignments for its TE’s.  It’s a big reason why their TE’s adjust well to the NFL.  

The speed of the game is the biggest adjustment IMO for Fant year 1.  Also cleaning up his drops and blocking but as others said he’s willing - but more as a move blocker (exactly how Kittle does it, not inline but as a mobile blocker moving outside / slot).

I still think year 1 expectations should be tempered.  Even star TE’s rarely impact in Year 1.  But I don’t think he’ll need the 2-3 years we see with guys from spread / gimmick O’s.   That’s a big reason why I labeled OJ Howard and Hock/Fant as NFL Rd1 worthy.  In hindsight I thought MIA’s O was close with Njoku playing in the ACC but it was nowhere as close as the Bama / Iowa plus facing SEC/Big 10.  

I’m happy we got him at 1.20 once we moved back - I don’t think the impact players left after he went approach his ceiling (and the gap between next best option later wider here than with CB/WR/IOL at 1.20).  

Edited by Broncofan

6 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Blocking really is about the attitude. Not only if he’s willing to put his nose in there (already a step up from orange Julius) but if he’s willing to work in practice to get better. When Von and Chubb beat him in practice will he talk with them about how to get better or will he simply move on because “they’re supposed to beat me” (like Thomas was want to do)?

7 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Blocking really is about the attitude. Not only if he’s willing to put his nose in there (already a step up from orange Julius) but if he’s willing to work in practice to get better. When Von and Chubb beat him in practice will he talk with them about how to get better or will he simply move on because “they’re supposed to beat me” (like Thomas was want to do)?

He’s a good blocker for the zone scheme. His quickness allows him to get out to seal or ride guys out. He won’t be a man up power blocker like Hockenson can be. He will fit what we ask him to do.

Can't catch or block and probably would've been there in the early 2nd. Would have preferred Bush but Fangio obv knows something we don't.

But we still don't have a NT on the team or a starting ILB.

Fangio is going to go with a starting line of Miller, Wolfe, Harris, and Chubb but we still need a run stuffer.