2019 Draft Day 2 Thread

theJ

Just now, johndeere1707 said:

I think our next pick is Gonna be one no one sees coming. Think we grab our linebacker in the 3rd

That's how it's worked in the past.  And that guy no one sees coming is usually the immediate bust of the draft lol.

Just now, theJ said:

That's how it's worked in the past.  And that guy no one sees coming is usually the immediate bust of the draft lol.

Actually i take that back.  This is ancient history (in terms of the NFL).  Last 3 round 2 picks:

Jessie Bates (2018)
Joe Mixon (2017)
Tyler Boyd (2016)

There are some hairy years before that, but also some other success (Dunlap, Dalton, Bernard).

By taking Jonah in the first, I really have no idea what they will do in the second.   Every mock I did had either one of the Devin's, Oliver, Wilkins or Haskins in the first, mostly because I saw a lot of the linemen that would be available in the second.  Ford and taylor shock me, but the rest I sort of expected.  With that in mind, I always thought we'd go OT in the second.  Maybe they like Ford or Risner enough to go there again, but I see WR, S or DL as the target.  Maybe AJ Brown.  Or N'Keal harry.  The only LB worth even considering at 42 in probably Wilson, and I wouldn't at that spot with so much value on the board.  Or do they pull the trigger on a QB like Finley?

I think they sit until the third for the LB, and go 3-4th rounds for two.  I can also see a trade back to gain an extra thrid.

A few darkhorse candidates for me are:

Byron Murphy (CB)
Greedy Williams (CB)
Zach Allen (DE)
Winovich (DE)

Really darkhorse would be Lock or Grier, but i don't see them taking any offensive players with this pick (there aren't really any starting positions to be had).  I think the next two are defensive.

EDIT: the reason i think CB is in play is that Dennard is only a 1 season rental, and after that they've got nothing.  They could use a guy in the wings.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Maybe they like Ford or Risner enough to go there again, but I see WR, S or DL as the target.  Maybe AJ Brown.  Or N'Keal harry.  The only LB worth even considering at 42 in probably Wilson, and I wouldn't at that spot with so much value on the board.  Or do they pull the trigger on a QB like Finley?

I have a hard time seeing them draft a WR with Green, Boyd and Ross.  Maybe they give up on Ross now, but i don't think so.

But then again, there's really no one of note behind those guys.  So who knows.  Depends on how their board looks.

10 minutes ago, theJ said:

A few darkhorse candidates for me are:

Byron Murphy (CB)
Greedy Williams (CB)
Zach Allen (DE)
Winovich (DE)

Really darkhorse would be Lock or Grier, but i don't see them taking any offensive players with this pick (there aren't really any starting positions to be had).  I think the next two are defensive.

EDIT: the reason i think CB is in play is that Dennard is only a 1 season rental, and after that they've got nothing.  They could use a guy in the wings.

Agreed.

How does everyone feel about Mack Wilson? There seems to be better value on the board. I'd prefer to wait for an LB until the next pick.

Plus, Tobin and the team put an emphasis on getting faster at the position, and Wilson tested poorly in Indy.

I see us targeting a better athlete at WLB in the same vein as Malik Jefferson. Someone like Drue Tranquill or Blake Cashman.

Edited by SmittyBacall

23 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

How does everyone feel about Mack Wilson? There seems to be better value on the board. I'd prefer to wait for an LB until the next pick.

Plus, Tobin and the team put an emphasis on getting faster at the position, and Wilson tested poorly in Indy.

I see us targeting a better athlete at WLB in the same vein as Malik Jefferson. Someone like Drue Tranquill or Blake Cashman.

Would much rather take Cashman or Burr-Kirven in the third.

44 minutes ago, theJ said:

Actually i take that back.  This is ancient history (in terms of the NFL).  Last 3 round 2 picks:

Jessie Bates (2018)
Joe Mixon (2017)
Tyler Boyd (2016)

There are some hairy years before that, but also some other success (Dunlap, Dalton, Bernard).

I feel like Boyd was expected. But yes, it's usually a BPA pick and I never know the board.

I'm enjoying the day 2 write ups from writers almost bragging about how their number one player is still there.  Slow down guys. Too soon to brag about how smart you are on Ben Burr-Kiven. 

Saw a Will Grier pick. If we get a qb in 2, I'll wish we had traded for Rosen. 

Hard to go for a receiver,  but we do have two guys in the last year of their deal,  plus John Ross.  Might be the smartest pick.

• Like 1

11: R1P11

OT JONAH WILLIAMS
ALABAMA
42: R2P10

OT CODY FORD
OKLAHOMA
72: R3P8

LB MACK WILSON
ALABAMA
110: R4P8

TE JACE STERNBERGER
TEXAS A&M
149: R5P11

LB BEN BURR-KIRVEN
WASHINGTON
183: R6P10

QB GARDNER MINSHEW
WASHINGTON STATE
198: R6P25

MIKE EDWARDS
KENTUCKY
210: R6P37

DL DANIEL WISE
KANSAS
211: R6P38

WR DIONTAE JOHNSON
TOLEDO
213: R6P40

RB MYLES GASKIN
WASHINGTON
223: R7P9

EDGE MAXX CROSBY
EASTERN MICHIGAN

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

I don't like Wilson. He benefited a lot from having superior team mates. I think of him as a poor man's Reggie Ragland. Would much rather have Cashman, Pratt, or Burr-Kirven later. 

• Like 1