2019 Draft Day 2 Thread

theJ

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I still can’t get over the Sample pick. Just ridiculously terrible.

The worst pick in the entire draft. Period. 

I don’t know who calls the shots in the draft room, but if it’s Tobin I’ve completely lost faith in him. I’m just embarassed

I get the pick just was way too soon. If they would have switched Pratt and Samples draft order would that have helped?

8 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I get the pick just was way too soon. If they would have switched Pratt and Samples draft order would that have helped?

Not really.

There were a hundred better options. One being Dalton Risner. Once he was in a reasonable range we should have traded a 4th to secure him. We could have completely revamped the offensive line. We could have stayed put and took Greedy Williams. Or a receiver, or another corner, or a defensive lineman, or even a tight end with actual upside like Josh Oliver.

I hate it.

I'm assuming the blocking te is something that they felt they needed to run the offense they want.  From what I've read,  I would not be surprised if this is a guy everyone loves the way he plays.  Supposedly very physical.  I would have liked to see a more productive receiver, but this guy could be a throwback to Reggie Kelly,  who regularly took on elite pass rushers one on one.

• Like 1

Don't sleep on Drew Sample.  Best blocking TE in college football in the draft according to PFF, great hands, has speed and athleticism to be versatile.  There is a reason why I always tried to squeeze him into my Fanspeak mocks.  For all we know someone else wanted him 10-15-20 picks later, stranger things have happened.  Don't get so caught up in where mock drafts have people, because at the end of the day, there is a reason why nearly all of those people never work in an NFL front office.  Sample will be the blocking guy this year and he is going to a big beneficiary of the play action plays that are coming in the new offense.  Come next year he will be the primary TE that almost never leaves the field.

I like the Sample pick more than the Pratt pick.  We are dying for a coverage LB, and unless they think Malik Jefferson is ready to take that step, we still need one.  Pratt might make a good replacement for Preston Brown in 2020 though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johndeere1707 said:

I’m certain another LB is coming 

With 10 picks, probably a lot of positions coming lol. 

I hope they bundle some of the later ones to get another 4th.

Im fine with the two picks. Internet consensus is rarely correct, and we've seen lots of TEs recently that didn't get used as receivers in college turn into great NFL receivers. They did need a TE after all. And a LB. 

7 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I'm assuming the blocking te is something that they felt they needed to run the offense they want.  From what I've read,  I would not be surprised if this is a guy everyone loves the way he plays.  Supposedly very physical.  I would have liked to see a more productive receiver, but this guy could be a throwback to Reggie Kelly,  who regularly took on elite pass rushers one on one.

Reggie Kelly would have been extremely useful the last couple of years with this Oline.

7 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Don't sleep on Drew Sample.  Best blocking TE in college football in the draft according to PFF, great hands, has speed and athleticism to be versatile.  There is a reason why I always tried to squeeze him into my Fanspeak mocks.  For all we know someone else wanted him 10-15-20 picks later, stranger things have happened.  Don't get so caught up in where mock drafts have people, because at the end of the day, there is a reason why nearly all of those people never work in an NFL front office.  Sample will be the blocking guy this year and he is going to a big beneficiary of the play action plays that are coming in the new offense.  Come next year he will be the primary TE that almost never leaves the field.

I like the Sample pick more than the Pratt pick.  We are dying for a coverage LB, and unless they think Malik Jefferson is ready to take that step, we still need one.  Pratt might make a good replacement for Preston Brown in 2020 though.

Plus, sample doen't have to come off the field for any particular package, other than 5 WRs.  We seem to be looking for versatility and high character.  And just because Sample wasn't used more as a threat for the offense, it doesn't mean he can't do it.  With Gaskin at RB, that was huge focus for their offense.  With Mixon, that doesn't change.

Edited by INbengalfan