Day 2 Predictions

HBL052086

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

@Broncofan I'd say WR here is more likely. It is no secret the team went hard after OBJ in the offseason and were interested in Brown supposedly before he went ape sh*t. And out of the 30 official visits, half of them or close to half of them were WRs. I'd venture to guess, unless we trade down, we draft either Butler/Brown/Samuel. 

If we go corner, of course Ya-Sin/Greedy will be options. 

I wrestled with WR vs. CB with SF.   I just thought they couldn't pass up a generational WR in OBJ.   I also wonder if they can hit on WR at 3.2 much easier than they can with CB at 2.2.  Either way though given the depth of CB and WR I figured you would be going CB/WR Day 2, just wasn't sure on the order.  Thx for the input.

Can't argue the value, I love Butler/Brown.  

Edited by Broncofan

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Given DEN isn't picking until 2.41, I'll predict at least the positions and see if I get the players too for 2.33 - 2.41.

33. ARI - OL or WR, likely Cody Ford IMO.  Why not pair Ford & Murray together?

34.  IND - CB seems the fit here.  So let's go with the best cover guy - Greedy Williams.

35.  OAK - CB / WR - just because it's Chucky and he can't resist - DK Metcalf.

36.  SF - CB stands out, WR too, but given CB is worse off than WR IMO, let's go with Rock-Ya Sin (unless they prefer a zone CB, then it's Byron Murphy). 

37.  SEA - pass rusher but unless they love Ferguson / Winovich this seems early.  WR the other area given they ignore IOL routinely.   Trade down?   If they stay....let's go with Hakeem Butler.

38.  TAM - OL for sure, and T to boot - Jawan Taylor.

39.  JAX - it's OL or TE, given that Irv Smith is there, let's be convenient and go there.   Dalton Risner is a very clear plan B there.

40.  BUF - gotta get Josh Allen a weapon at WR - so let's give him a speed merchant who can also be used as a multi-positional weapon with Parris Campbell.

41. DEN - definitely wants IOL, CB or WR - this is a great fit with the big board.  Just a Q of who we want IMO. If Risner is on the board, I think Elway runs to the podium.  I also think C Erik McCoy is very much in play with us.

The one X-factor I see - QB.  None of those teams want a QB.   But someone could trade up.   I kinda hope so since it’s likely for Lock lol.  Which only helps our board at 41. 

As for trades with DEN, the teams I think we’d likely target if we feel we need to move up - SF/SEA.   SF and we have a great relationship and find common ground.  SF wanting CB could drop back 5 spots.   If SEA wants pass rush and aren’t in love with 1 guy hard - moving back is a move they often make.  And it gets past the 38-40 range where IOL seems such a BPA/need perfect combo.  PIT targeted us because CIN was looking hard at Bush at 1.11.   The same idea applies here with us and IOL if we think there's a huge dropoff, or there's a guy we feel is just that much better of an impact guy.   Risner/Ford stand out in the IOL crowd, Byron Murphy at CB for a Fangio scheme, maybe Butler/Boykin could be that at WR (but it's so deep, I don't think DEN will reach up for WR, they may let a guy fall to them at 2.20 or 3.11). 

Before ppl ask why I cite need in the projections above since I’m a BPA advocate, even at this stage (until we’re somewhere in Rd3 in most draft obvious gaps are no longer usually there) - as per my Day 2-3 post the CB/WR/IOL guys really crowd the top of the big board with not much separation.  And QB is the one spot where need drives reaches.  For those teams need and BPA really fit well for what’s left, except if SEA wants pass rush help.

Those are my best guesses - but the fans from different teams would know more of who they have been eyeing with visits/interest....so I defer to them.   Feel free to correct/change/confirm lol.

ARI -  @11sanchez11 / @DirtyDez & others...

IND - @Wyld Stallyns

OAK - nah, I know they'll stop by and critique lol

SF - @Forge @49erurtaza @J-ALL-DAY

SEA - @showtime?

JAX - @Tugboat & @JaguarCrazy2832 & @.Buzz

BUF - @Thelonebillsfan @NickChowaniec @Trentwannabe @marshawn lynch @LeeEvans

Fans for the teams - critique those predictions away....

I’m hurt. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

@Broncofan think WR is in much more dire straits than corner, and I think that is the far likelier pick, though I'm probably more down on our receivers than any other 49er fan on the forum. I think Murphy goes to AZ, though Greedy could be very intriguing. My guess is that the pick is AJ Brown if he's there, Deebo if AJ is gone. Corner could certainly be an option, but I think WR is more likely. 

You really think Deebo goes before Butler/Brown/Campbell/etc.?   I think very highly of him, and was hoping DEN could get him, but more at the 3.71 range.  WR is so damn deep right now, I figured he would slip into the next tier.  I get it only takes 1 team, though.

1 minute ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I’m hurt. 

LOL I've been back for 2 days after a 2-month absence (RL work commitment 24/7 spare time gone).   I literally just looked up the last page of each team's draft thread.  My bad.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Just now, Broncofan said:

I wrestled with WR vs. CB with SF.   I just thought they couldn't pass up a generational WR in OBJ.   I also wonder if they can hit on WR at 3.2 much easier than they can with CB at 2.2.  Either way though given the depth of CB and WR I figured you would be going CB/WR Day 2, just wasn't sure on the order.  Thx for the input.

Honestly, I think most of us would actually prefer a safety over even a corner, but for some reason, Lynch and company seem to be happy with our safeties as they are. I don't understand it (maybe I've just had my fill of Jimmie Ward at this point), but whatever. I do think the likelihood that we can land a competent wide receiver in round three is more likely than landing an impact corner / safety in round three, but man, that receiving corps is just so bad. Pettis looked pretty good when he was healthy, though health was a concern. Goodwin can't be trusted, and the team has basically said that they would like to limit him a little bit more. We have no Z receiver - Kendrick Bourne would probably be the starter right now, and while he's a decent depth receiver at 4/5 and a very nice UDFA pick up, I really dont' want him starting. At slot, we are a little bit better, though admittedly Trent Taylor is more of a niche guy more so than a traditional consistent third receiver and Richie James would have to progress more. I'm so out on our receivers as they stand right now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I think most of us would actually prefer a safety over even a corner, but for some reason, Lynch and company seem to be happy with our safeties as they are. I don't understand it (maybe I've just had my fill of Jimmie Ward at this point), but whatever. I do think the likelihood that we can land a competent wide receiver in round three is more likely than landing an impact corner / safety in round three, but man, that receiving corps is just so bad. Pettis looked pretty good when he was healthy, though health was a concern. Goodwin can't be trusted, and the team has basically said that they would like to limit him a little bit more. We have no Z receiver - Kendrick Bourne would probably be the starter right now, and while he's a decent depth receiver at 4/5 and a very nice UDFA pick up, I really dont' want him starting. At slot, we are a little bit better, though admittedly Trent Taylor is more of a niche guy more so than a traditional consistent third receiver and Richie James would have to progress more. I'm so out on our receivers as they stand right now. 

FWIW, I think Pettis is the real deal.   And with Kittle, why I thought you could wait until 3.66.  But I also get that it's risky to miss out on a early-starter, impact-type talent tier, given your WR concerns.

I could be way off-base, but I thought a guy like Deebo, or even a Miles Boykin (who I really am intrigued by) or Terry McLaurin would be there at Rd 3 for you guys.    Can't argue going with a WR now though they are still top end talents though.   I'm really surprised at Deebo going this high - not that I don't like him (I really do), but figured the stock on him had him clearly a tier below the Butler/Brown/Metcalf/Campbell tier, and very possibly behind 3-4 more guys.

Edited by Broncofan

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

You really think Deebo goes before Butler/Brown/Campbell/etc.?   I think very highly of him, and was hoping DEN could get him, but more at the 3.71 range.  WR is so damn deep right now, I figured he would slip into the next tier.  I get it only takes 1 team, though.

I think Deebo's talent is massively slept on as a whole. But I think he fits what Shanny likes in a receiver (though his build is a little funky), and I think it's important to remember that Shanny coached the senior bowl where Deebo just shredded people, and Shanny made sure to line him up at Z the entire senior bowl week which as I mentioned, just happens to be what we really, really need. I think he can also slide into the slot role (AJ can do both as well, I think) The biggest question on Deebo is the injuries, but from a talent perspective, I think he's one of the better guys in this draft

Campbell is very raw - I don't know if he's the guy you want if you need someone to come in and start right away. I think AJ would be the pick over Deebo, but yeah, I think that we would take Deebo over Butler. There were rumors that we loved Butler, so that is a possibility, but we will see come pick 36. 

Chris Ballard talking about trading out of the first. Ends press conference with. "There are going to be a lot of teams interested in that 34th pick" 

If we pretend that the Colts can't trade out I would say the Colts draft 

#34 AJ Brown

#46 Rock Ya-Sin or DreMont Jones

#59 Chase Winovich or one of the safeties left (Thornhill., Rapp or Adderley) 

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

We may not have to. You think Risner, Taylor and Ford go within the next 11 picks? It's possible. I'm expecting a run on secondary and receivers to start the round.

I think DEN for sure is considering IOL for 2.41.   You'd think TAM is a lock for T, given they were heavily in play for LT at 1.5, and the issues with pass pro they've experienced.

I don't know if they need to move up a lot, but I think even DEN might have to move up if they think a guy like Risner is elite.  If they don't see much of a diff, then with C Erik McCoy on board as well, I think 43 should net 1 of those 4, but it merits watching.  

To me, the depth right now is in O-line, secondary and WR's.   The only team I don't think targeting those 3 areas is SEA...but as I've been reminded, trying to predict what they'll do is kinda pointless lol. 

Edited by Broncofan

15 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Honestly, at this point it's a matter of preference with WRs.  There's no standout WR.  They all have their fair share of strengths and weaknesses.