2019 NFL Draft Discussion

Raves

2 hours ago, Dome said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see McCoy starting at C and Easton a backup or competing with Peat at LG this year, maybenot week 1.... but this job isn’t just gonna be given to Easton IMO

Yeah  that's true. Just read he can play G as well, so lots of versatility. I like the pick though, you win football games in the trenches and this team has been superb drafting  O-linemen. I'd rather make the smart pick than the sexy one.

I wonder if we snag an OT as well or just push Peat to LT if/when Armstead gets injured.

Still think we need an off ball LB, so I hope we snag one.

Seems like we gotta a steal with our 4th rounder. S/CB Chauncy Gardner-Johnson was ranked much higher in a lot lists. At worst a top 5 safety. Known for his playmaking and versatility, can play slot CB, FS and SS.

CBS had him going to the Eagles in the 1st. PFF had him the 49th best player. Our own Mike D had him as the 39th best player. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Why did we get another safety? This feels like last year when they pretty much did the same thing and we’re left with nothing. 

Hampton will be a special teams stud, captain in just a year or two. 

Where CJG is a legit safety who is expected to play defense in the NFL, Hampton is probably just a special teamer. CJG can play slot, high or in the box... Hampton is strictly a coverage safety, not physical against the run and not a great ballhawk.

Our safety depth is terrible, I like the move 

Edited by Dome

8 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

It was a 4th rounder.  As long as he contributes in a positive way, whatever.

The players they bring in to provide special teams ability flop. The only guys who have ever panned out late were offensive or defensive players (Colston, Strief, Nicks, Davison). It’s almost like the Saints don’t feel that a rookie can compete their current squad, which I believe is over confidence. 

8 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Why did we get another safety? This feels like last year when they pretty much did the same thing and we’re left with nothing. 

According to Loomis, we had him rated in our top 70 along with McCoy and CGJ.

The LBer we picked, I wonder how he is in coverage. Great athlete and can do a bit of everything. If he can drop into coverage, he might be a Klein replacement.

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

The LBer we picked, I wonder how he is in coverage. Great athlete and can do a bit of everything. If he can drop into coverage, he might be a Klein replacement.

Chase Hansen, the OLB from Utah has some skills there. From what I read he was a box safety turned LBer. Plus marks in coverage, good to cover TEs. Also tenacious against the run but easily washed out and out of position due to being too aggressive. Like a poor man's (prime) Vaccaro, which could end up being about was Vaccaro was on a bad day here anyways. He'll fight for a roster spot I bet. 

9 hours ago, Dome said:

Chase Hansen, the OLB from Utah has some skills there. From what I read he was a box safety turned LBer. Plus marks in coverage, good to cover TEs. Also tenacious against the run but easily washed out and out of position due to being too aggressive. Like a poor man's (prime) Vaccaro, which could end up being about was Vaccaro was on a bad day here anyways. He'll fight for a roster spot I bet. 

Hansen and Jordan Humphrey great udfa pick ups imo.

• Like 1