Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Outpost31

2019 Packers Defense Would You Look At It? Just Look At It!

Recommended Posts

more from pfffffft

" The Packers haven’t had an edge rusher generate 50 quarterback pressures in a season since Julius Peppers in 2015.
Last year alone, Za’Darius Smith generated 60 pressures for the Ravens, while Preston Smith generated 53 pressures for the Redskins.

Preston and Za’Darius Smith combined for 113 total pressures on 869 total pass-rushes in 2018.
Comparatively, the entire Packers’ rotation of edge rushers accumulated only 88 total pressures on 984 pass-rushes "

If you replaced Matthews/Perry sacks from 2018 with the Smith's sacks,,,,
The Packers would have had the # 3  sack- defense in the league, generating 1/2 sack less than Pitt and KC who each had 52

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

more from pfffffft

" The Packers haven’t had an edge rusher generate 50 quarterback pressures in a season since Julius Peppers in 2015.
Last year alone, Za’Darius Smith generated 60 pressures for the Ravens, while Preston Smith generated 53 pressures for the Redskins.

Preston and Za’Darius Smith combined for 113 total pressures on 869 total pass-rushes in 2018.
Comparatively, the entire Packers’ rotation of edge rushers accumulated only 88 total pressures on 984 pass-rushes "

If you replaced Matthews/Perry sacks from 2018 with the Smith's sacks,,,,
The Packers would have had the # 3  sack- defense in the league, generating 1/2 sack less than Pitt and KC who each had 52

If it plays out this way we're going to be very, very good on defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

more from pfffffft

" The Packers haven’t had an edge rusher generate 50 quarterback pressures in a season since Julius Peppers in 2015.
Last year alone, Za’Darius Smith generated 60 pressures for the Ravens, while Preston Smith generated 53 pressures for the Redskins.

Preston and Za’Darius Smith combined for 113 total pressures on 869 total pass-rushes in 2018.
Comparatively, the entire Packers’ rotation of edge rushers accumulated only 88 total pressures on 984 pass-rushes "

If you replaced Matthews/Perry sacks from 2018 with the Smith's sacks,,,,
The Packers would have had the # 3  sack- defense in the league, generating 1/2 sack less than Pitt and KC who each had 52

That is not at all how that works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That is not at all how that works.

Of course not, but it gives you a little insight as to the potential of our defense and pass rush in particular. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Golfman said:

Of course not, but it gives you a little insight as to the potential of our defense and pass rush in particular. 

Maybe, we've got 4 good pass rushers. There's no tier 1 guy on this line as a pass rusher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Of course not, but it gives you a little insight as to the potential of our defense and pass rush in particular. 

What if Pettine is using his EDGE as run first defenders and not as main pass rushers?  If you can look past the lack of production of Rashan Gary due to how the DC used him in college, why would the same concept not be applied to the NFL and how Pettine uses his EDGE players?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Maybe, we've got 4 good pass rushers. There's no tier 1 guy on this line as a pass rusher. 

25ish teams don't have tier 1 guys either though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Maybe, we've got 4 good pass rushers. There's no tier 1 guy on this line as a pass rusher. 

unless Gary separates himself and blows up his rookie year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Maybe, we've got 4 good pass rushers. There's no tier 1 guy on this line as a pass rusher. 

Is there even a consistent  tier 2 pass rusher?  Kyler Fackrell has more sacks than ZaDarius Smith over the last 3 years and 1 fewer sack than Preston Smith.   Z. Smith has played 500 more defensive snaps over those 3 years with P. Smith over 1000 more.  Just because we had to overpay for the Smiths doesn't mean they are great pass rushers.  

I agree, it's extreamly premature to assume this is going to be a great pass rush when we don't have a player on the roster who year in and year out has been a productive edge rusher.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SSG said:

Is there even a consistent  tier 2 pass rusher?  Kyler Fackrell has more sacks than ZaDarius Smith over the last 3 years and 1 fewer sack than Preston Smith.   Z. Smith has played 500 more defensive snaps over those 3 years with P. Smith over 1000 more.  Just because we had to overpay for the Smiths doesn't mean they are great pass rushers.  

I agree, it's extreamly premature to assume this is going to be a great pass rush when we don't have a player on the roster who year in and year out has been a productive edge rusher.  

 

Sacks aren’t a good barometer of pressure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Joe said:

unless Gary separates himself and blows up his rookie year.

I'm an avid Michigan fan but nothing about his piss poor college production would suggest that he's capable of that sort of immediate improvement.  IMO, he's going to take time to develop as a pass rusher IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Sacks aren’t a good barometer of pressure.

I understand but a pressure isn't more valuable than a sack.  A OLB can get pressure and the result of the play can still be a TD.  I'm not saying Fackrell is a good player just that it's silly to assume either Smith will be upgrades when he's been substantilly more effective when it comes to getting to and taking down the QB.  

I'm not ragging on the Smiths here just stating that it's prematuire to assume their going to be stud pass rushers when they've been anything but over their careers thus far.  

Edited by SSG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Maybe, we've got 4 good pass rushers. There's no tier 1 guy on this line as a pass rusher. 

 

49 minutes ago, SSG said:

Is there even a consistent  tier 2 pass rusher?  Kyler Fackrell has more sacks than ZaDarius Smith over the last 3 years and 1 fewer sack than Preston Smith.   Z. Smith has played 500 more defensive snaps over those 3 years with P. Smith over 1000 more.  Just because we had to overpay for the Smiths doesn't mean they are great pass rushers.  

I agree, it's extreamly premature to assume this is going to be a great pass rush when we don't have a player on the roster who year in and year out has been a productive edge rusher.  

 

Not many teams have a tier 1. What NFL team has a Tier 1 QB, LT, and Pass Rusher? GB has 2/3 with a few tier 2 pass rushers. I'll take it.

 

BTW In 2018, didn't Za' Smith like top 15ish in pressures/sacks, etc while taking significantly less snaps than many of those ahead of him?

 

 

Edited by Arthur Penske

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SSG said:

I understand but a pressure isn't more valuable than a sack.  A OLB can get pressure and the result of the play can still be a TD.  I'm not saying Fackrell is a good player just that it's silly to assume either Smith will be upgrades when he's been substantilly more effective when it comes to getting to and taking down the QB.  

I'm not ragging on the Smiths here just stating that it's prematuire to assume their going to be stud pass rushers when they've been anything but over their careers thus far.  

I'll take 50 pressures/5 sacks over 10 pressures/10 sacks all day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Arthur Penske said:

 

Not many teams have a tier 1. What in the NFL team has a Tier 1 QB, LT, and Pass Rusher? GB has 2/3 with a few tier 2 pass rushers. I'll take it.

 

BTW In 2018, didn't Za' Smith like top 15ish in pressures/sacks, etc while taking significantly less snaps than many of those ahead of him?

 

 

I'd imagine that there aren't any teams in the league that have a "Tier 1" QB, LT, WR (you didn't mention) and pass rusher.  I guess it despends on what you view the tiers as.  I've got issues viewing either Smiths as consistant tier 2 pass rushers.  Neither have ever had to experience consistant double team's over their careers.  

Not sure.  I know that he had almost as many sacks in his contract year as he had in his entire NFL career before that.  It was extreamly out of the ordinary production when looking at the rest of his career.  Not sure where his snap count was in comparision to guys above him but he played 70 more snaps than Kyler Fackrell.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×