2019 Packers Defense Would You Look At It? Just Look At It!

MacReady

21 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I'm glad someone posted this play because I was gonna do it but I'm too lazy.  Had to roll it back a few times watching this play because Savage just comes in out of absolutely nowhere on the TV copy.  Savage can absolutely fly in the open field.

His strength stood out to me too. And instincts. Think we have a real one here. 

Comments from McGinn via The Athletic

"Since last year, Pettine appears to have confidence that Fackrell will make good decisions on the fly and drop when it’s best to drop from a stand-up position. Fackrell didn’t have a pressure but wasn’t asked to rush much, either. "

Is Fackrell running with guys in coverage or is he just dropping into a zone ?

5 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

I'm glad someone posted this play because I was gonna do it but I'm too lazy.  Had to roll it back a few times watching this play because Savage just comes in out of absolutely nowhere on the TV copy.  Savage can absolutely fly in the open field.

Speed and instincts are a great combo.

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Comments from McGinn via The Athletic

"Since last year, Pettine appears to have confidence that Fackrell will make good decisions on the fly and drop when it’s best to drop from a stand-up position. Fackrell didn’t have a pressure but wasn’t asked to rush much, either. "

Is Fackrell running with guys in coverage or is he just dropping into a zone ?

Good mix. He had a couple of really impressive downs against their RBs. Underrated part of the defensive performance was how Fackrell and the LBs handled the RBs in the passing game.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Good mix. He had a couple of really impressive downs against their RBs. Underrated part of the defensive performance was how Fackrell and the LBs handled the RBs in the passing game.

Fackrell has really been surprisingly good in coverage the last year or so. He really does have a hell of a physical toolbox; if he had Clay's mind in his body he'd be a Hall of Famer. As is he's still a very nice chess piece to have for one more season, although if he finds his niche as a joker LBer they can play anywhere I'm not even going to say that he definitely won't be back. Guy like that is great to have, especially if his pass rush isn't something you need. As a multiple guy he's actually a plus rusher, you just don't want him being "The Guy".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Fackrell has really been surprisingly good in coverage the last year or so. He really does have a hell of a physical toolbox; if he had Clay's mind in his body he'd be a Hall of Famer. As is he's still a very nice chess piece to have for one more season, although if he finds his niche as a joker LBer they can play anywhere I'm not even going to say that he definitely won't be back. Guy like that is great to have, especially if his pass rush isn't something you need. As a multiple guy he's actually a plus rusher, you just don't want him being "The Guy".

Agree. He’s a nice piece. At the Lowry price, he’s worth it. 

• Like 1

29%: Packers' rate of defensive disruption (ranking eighth for Week 1). Next Gen Stats show that in last Thursday's win over the Bears, the Packers pressured Chicago quarterback Mitchell Trubisky on 38% of dropbacks, up from 13.2% in the teams' two games last season. Further, my computer vision tracks 13 times where the Packers got into a 5-foot halo in Trubisky's field of vision (what I count as defensive disruption, compared to NGS' definition of disruption as occurring when a player is within 2 yards of the QB when he throws the ball) for a rate of 29%. For context, think of about a 16% disruption rate as being very good. 

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/12/mike-pettine-lauds-packers-free-agent-acquisitions-on-defense/

“Myself and (outside linebackers coach) Mike Smith and I went through it, and Za’Darius was a guy that just jumped off the tape, and not far behind was Preston,” Pettine said. “The fact that we ended up getting both, we would have been thrilled with one of those guys. The fact that we could pull that off was a tremendous move by Gutey and his group.”

2 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/12/mike-pettine-lauds-packers-free-agent-acquisitions-on-defense/

“Myself and (outside linebackers coach) Mike Smith and I went through it, and Za’Darius was a guy that just jumped off the tape, and not far behind was Preston,” Pettine said. “The fact that we ended up getting both, we would have been thrilled with one of those guys. The fact that we could pull that off was a tremendous move by Gutey and his group.”

That enthusiasm is genuine. It is so rare to catch two ascending players in free agency, and we may have gotten three with Amos. 

Speaking of three, if myself, Mike Smith and I are watching tape how many people are in the room?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

That enthusiasm is genuine. It is so rare to catch two ascending players in free agency, and we may have gotten three with Amos. 

Speaking of three, if myself, Mike Smith and I are watching tape how many people are in the room?

Mighta got 4 with Turner. 

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Who was the guy who was adamant Burns would suck?  He’s got a sack tonight.

Did you see the sack? It was a coverage sack as Winston held onto the ball for about 7 seconds. Now, he did have a nice pressure later where he dipped and got around the EDGE. He's definitely got some skills.