2019 Packers Defense Would You Look At It? Just Look At It!

MacReady

31 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I'll take 50 pressures/5 sacks over 10 pressures/10 sacks all day.

In most cases sure.  Assuming that there are over 35+ incompletitions attached to those pressures, sign me up all day.  Pressures mean very little if you can't force the incompletion.  We've seen a ton of instances over the last 2 years where CM3 got pressure and it meant very little because getting a pressure doesn't automatically mean it generates a stop.  Generally, finishers are the differance makers not poor finishers who get a bunch of pressures.  

1 hour ago, SSG said:

In most cases sure.  Assuming that there are over 35+ incompletitions attached to those pressures, sign me up all day.  Pressures mean very little if you can't force the incompletion.  We've seen a ton of instances over the last 2 years where CM3 got pressure and it meant very little because getting a pressure doesn't automatically mean it generates a stop.  Generally, finishers are the differance makers not poor finishers who get a bunch of pressures.  

We haven’t seen a ton of pressures period.

• Like 1

via The Athletic, here's a Jets rookie talking about his indoctrination into Pettine's defense

“On my pro day tape I dropped every single ball they threw to me,” Westerman said. “When I say every single ball, I mean I’ve seen better hands on a clock, man. It was horrible. It was bad. Even myself, I was embarrassed.

“And every time I would hear Pettine in practice, ‘Hands, hands! I’ve seen better hands on a clock. Hands like a snake. It hit him in a bad spot: his hands!’
And every day, every day he just rode me. But you know what? It’s the pressure that you feel in a game when the lights shine the brightest, and I think he was preparing us — especially me being a rookie, new position, being a professional my first time, having to play a lot as a rookie
I think mentally he was trying to prepare me for that spotlight.” 

Pettine’s rewiring of players is the bedrock for establishing the culture he expects from a defense, wherein the individuals are secure enough to withstand criticism. The belief in one’s self — plus a belief in the system overall — serve as a catalyst for the tenacious edge Pettine craves."

• Like 2

Another snippet which shows the other side of Pettine:

Even their meetings were softened by wisecracks from all corners of the room, with players encouraged to contribute. Pettine was one of the funniest people in the building, according to Cole, and the coaches wanted everyone’s personality to be part of the team. The freedom of being yourself was repeated by nearly every player The Athletic contacted.

“It was like high school,” said Cole, an undrafted free agent from Northwestern who made his regular-season debut with the Jets in 2009.  “You out there playing with your buddies. Of course, you want to win, but you just out there having fun. And you do a good play and I’m like, ‘Hell yeah, I know Pettine is going to like that and we going to joke about that ****.’ You think about those things afterward and you just have a bunch of fun out there. And then it’s not work.  You’re just going to play ball with your buddies.”

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 2

And one more on Pettine:

"So confident was the Jets’ defense under Pettine — it finished 1st, 3rd, 5th and 8th in the league in total defense during his tenure — that players were instructed to taunt the offense when skill players shifted before the snap.

“We had a thing where we had to say the words, ‘You so crazy!’” Cole said. “The offense would start shifting and stuff, and we would have to say, ‘You so crazy!’ Because it didn’t matter to us. It don’t affect what we’re doing. So you can do that **** all you want, it doesn’t matter. .. It wouldn’t affect us because we were so confident in our defense and knew our concept.”

In other words, Pettine’s defense wanted to dictate what the offense was doing. Not the other way around "

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

And one more on Pettine:

"So confident was the Jets’ defense under Pettine — it finished first, third, fifth and eighth in the league in total defense during his tenure — that players were instructed to taunt the offense when skill players shifted before the snap.

“We had a thing where we had to say the words, ‘You so crazy!’” Cole said. “The offense would start shifting and stuff, and we would have to say, ‘You so crazy!’ Because it didn’t matter to us. It don’t affect what we’re doing. So you can do that **** all you want, it doesn’t matter. .. It wouldn’t affect us because we were so confident in our defense and knew our concept.”

In other words, Pettine’s defense wanted to dictate what the offense was doing. Not the other way around "

I can't wait to see all these new guys taunting offenses next year. I'm really excited about the D.

• Like 2

Amos is gonna be good. Alexander is good. King is an ascending player. 

Savage is is a big question mark. How fast can this kid pick it up? If he’s a quick study, the back end of our defense could really start to shine.

And obviously the smiths and Gary should bring some pass rush and better run defense. 

We have a chance to be a top tier defense. We definitely have a chance. I will be shocked if it’s not significantly better.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

from Warren Sharp

2019 Season Matchups at WR

Week 1- Allen Robinson 
Week 2- Stefon Diggs 🔥
Week 3- Courtland Sutton 
Week 4- Alston Jeffrey/ D-Jack
Week 5- Amari Cooper 🔥
Week 6- Gollady/Jones
Week 7- AB 🔥🔥
Week 8- Tyreek/Watkins 🔥
Week 9- Keenan Allen 🔥
Week 10- DJ Moore

9 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

from Warren Sharp

2019 Season Matchups at WR

Week 1- Allen Robinson 
Week 2- Stefon Diggs 🔥
Week 3- Courtland Sutton 
Week 4- Alston Jeffrey/ D-Jack
Week 5- Amari Cooper 🔥
Week 6- Gollady/Jones
Week 7- AB 🔥🔥
Week 8- Tyreek/Watkins 🔥
Week 9- Keenan Allen 🔥
Week 10- DJ Moore

Every team facing Davante:

steve brule what GIF

• Like 4

On 5/11/2019 at 8:45 PM, boratt said:

Amos is gonna be good. Alexander is good. King is an ascending player. 

Savage is is a big question mark. How fast can this kid pick it up? If he’s a quick study, the back end of our defense could really start to shine.

And obviously the smiths and Gary should bring some pass rush and better run defense. 

We have a chance to be a top tier defense. We definitely have a chance. I will be shocked if it’s not significantly better.

The fact that we significantly upgraded at EDGE and then heavily invested at Safety should guarantee significant improvement at least down the stretch of the regular season. Obviously, it'll take some time for all these new parts to gel, but Pettine's been known to get players to overachieve over the years.

On 5/9/2019 at 12:03 PM, SSG said:

Is your pressure the same as what the stats guys are calling a pressure to though? What is the metric, and your past exprerience from watching enough should tell you that more often than not a good pressure will result in a throw away or short gain. Yes you will have exceptions to that rule but often that pressure disrupts the timing required for the offense to make the play they want. Lets not forget to that the other team is paid the play and will make plays. If the defensive side of the ball is merely measured fully off sacks well every D sucks. Pressure and making life generally hard for a QB is any DC's job.

• Like 1

so for context... this squad needs to improve from bottom 5 to top 10. 

When is the last time that happened?  Does it happen often?

Definitely the turnover and roster change has been significant, so I'm not ruling it out.  I would expect this defense to be middle of the road, which is actually good production.

I don't see how it's gonna be on the level of Baltimore, Denver, Buffalo, Minnesota, Jacksonville though.