2019 Packers Defense Would You Look At It? Just Look At It!

MacReady

On 05/11/2019 at 10:26 PM, packfanfb said:

The most troubling thing about these stats is that they don't even make sense. We are playing a ton of "bend but don't break" defense where we sit back and play soft against the run and soft against the underneath pass. So, I fully understand being close to dead last over the last 6 weeks in Yard Per Play and 3rd Down Defense when we're playing that soft **** defense. 

But, in the same breath, we are 30th in Explosive Completions allowed over that same stretch...the very thing this soft *** defense is supposed to stop. 

So basically our defence bends and breaks - or to put it another way is rubbish.

Good to see all that investment was worthwhile.

I still think we can be middle of the pack again if we let our secondary do it's thing and stop being so soft. Take some chances, but no more 3 down linemen in a clear run. I get what the concept was and is, but it's time to shake it up. Like I said in the game day thread, Try some new stuff and you go into the bye with plenty of film. That's were the course is really going to change. That is if they do change it. 

17 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

And one has to ask why?  Why the turnabout in scheme?  Injuries, or something else?  Head scratcher man.

The scheme hasn't changed. That's the problem. That and we aren't facing Trubisky (who was only 1 idiotic throw away from overtime)

Edited by cannondale

9 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Huh?  We weren’t playing this soft in the first quarter of the season.  How do you figure?

I've been saying it all season. Poor QB play and timely sacks have saved this defense. Google highlights of any game and watch the separations. Or just listen for the announcers to yell "wide open."

Edited by cannondale

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Please let this be true.

Honestly, I’ll believe it when I see it.  He basically just admitted to running a bend don’t break scheme, and apparently he’s also aware it pretty much sucks.  I can only think of a select few instances where the prevent defense, aka bend-don’t-break, is even worth running, and rarely should it be your primary, or “fall-back” scheme.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Honestly, I’ll believe it when I see it.  He basically just admitted to running a bend don’t break scheme, and apparently he’s also aware it pretty much sucks.  I can only think of a select few instances where the prevent defense, aka bend-don’t-break, is even worth running, and rarely should it be your primary, or “fall-back” scheme.

There's a lot to be said for having a conservative, boring, cover-3 called up as your base, "oh ****, the offense is at the line and we don't have a call in yet" play. But overall I agree.

Just going over that first drive though, the three plays we gave up over 10 yards were all man to man. Henry bumped off Savage at the top of his route and Rivers dropped him a dime of a throw. Allen beat the breaks off of Jaire on a deep in, and Rivers wasn't fooled at all by playing Sullivan deep middle and had Henry sit down just close enough to the line that Sullivan couldn't close on time. 

On the second drive, Amos 56 yarder was man to man on a drag route that Jaire got screened on. 

At the end of Q1. We were playing like we couldn't cover these guys man to man. 

We changed it all up in the 2nd quarter. We came out in this beauty of a look on the second play on 2nd and 5 and immediately and deservedly gave up 16 on the ground. 

RpPH9Rm.png

Next sequence we rushed: Gary, Lowry, Clark, and Redmond on 2nd and 5. Not one of them got within 4 yards of Phillip Rivers, though the Chargers used Henry to double team Clark, so he at least had a purpose. Gordon lined up in the backfield and sat there for a solid 3 seconds before beating Martinez on an in-route in man to man for 13.

Hunter kills Amos in man to man for a gain of 18 on the next play. 

4 plays later, Hunter runs a drag route all the way across the formation and kills us on our first zone flood of the game. Zero pass rush. 

+++

2nd play of the second half, immediatley gives up 20 to some soft zone garbage defense. 

Gave up 16 yards on the ground because we're asking Z to play B gap from a 7-tech spot. more soft zone garbage

wfOhkR7.png

Then proceeded to **** up the protection on a punt and give the Chargers the ball on our 27 where they scored with 0 ten yard plays.

Last play of the 3rd gave up a 46 yard bomb when Amos was playing deep middle and got sucked in leaving Jaire without help in man to man. This was  a combo coverage, but it was the zone component that failed.

+++

Didn't give up a 10 yard play on that drive and by some miracle got it down to 4th and 2 from the 2 when Tony Brown jumped offsides on a FG. Chargers proceeded to go for it on 4th and 1 and got it.

Didn't give up any more 10 yard plays but did let the Chargers rattle off consecutive runs of: 7, 7, 3, 6, 10*, 5, 1, 0. Taking the clock down from 6.5 minutes to 3. 

* Game on the line and Lowry decides to abandon his gap and try to knife inside:

WfHEx9P.png

If their kicker doesn't miss the 44 yarder that comes after this drive, the game is iced over again. It was already iced, but come on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

I'm way too confused by those looks. Must be one of those complicated fronts to confuse the offense that Pettine spoke of all off-season. Might as well just run a 1-1-9 at this point

It's a sub 2-3-6 we run about 30% of the time. The last one is a 3-3 nickel.

Chargers ran a McCarthyesque "if the box is light, run. If the box is heavy, throw " offense.

We felt no desire to try and confuse Rivers into misreading it. 

Is it coaching problems on this team?  Defensive scheme past number of games is nothing to get excited about.  Special teams has been a frickin disaster all year.  Is it players not following the schemes or is it coaching not knowing what the heck they are doing?