Jump to content
Outpost31

2019 Packers Defense Would You Look At It? Just Look At It!

Recommended Posts

Martinez, Fackrell scramble: Huge credit goes to Blake Martinez and Kyler Fackrell on the final play. Martinez realigned Fackrell right before the snap and it saved the day. The entire defensive line was out of position, and neither Fackrell nor Kenny Clark was all that ready for the snap, but Fackrell still found a way to swim past left guard Greg Van Roten and hit McCaffrey in the backfield, allowing Preston Smith to get there and clean it up in time. The Panthers must’ve loved their call, especially with a left guard on Fackrell and everyone scrambling up front before the snap. It took an excellent individual effort to prevent what should have been an easy touchdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious about something here

I think Griffen and Hunter in Minnesota are talent-wise similar to the Smith Bros in GB.

Now the Smiths have been more productive in big plays, even though Griffen and Hunter are both top 3 in pressures this year, but a lot of sacks by them have been nullified by penalties.

Is this the case for the Smiths too? Are they losing sacks due to penalties as well? I'm just trying to figure out a comparison here. Both duos are awesome.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm curious about something here

I think Griffen and Hunter in Minnesota are talent-wise similar to the Smith Bros in GB.

Now the Smiths have been more productive in big plays, even though Griffen and Hunter are both top 3 in pressures this year, but a lot of sacks by them have been nullified by penalties.

Is this the case for the Smiths too? Are they losing sacks due to penalties as well? I'm just trying to figure out a comparison here. Both duos are awesome.

 

Not that I recall really. What kinds of penalties are wiping them out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm curious about something here

I think Griffen and Hunter in Minnesota are talent-wise similar to the Smith Bros in GB.

Now the Smiths have been more productive in big plays, even though Griffen and Hunter are both top 3 in pressures this year, but a lot of sacks by them have been nullified by penalties.

Is this the case for the Smiths too? Are they losing sacks due to penalties as well? I'm just trying to figure out a comparison here. Both duos are awesome.

 

That's pretty humble... Danielle Hunter is the best out of the 4 clearly imo. Griffen was the best 2 years ago and still is probably comparable to the Smith's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DLine PFF rankings:

Clark 75.2

Keke 71.9

Lancaster 66.6.

Lowry 55.2

Adams 43.8

We all know PFF rankings are not the final word, but the rankings above are in line with what I've seen through 10 games for Clark, Lancaster Lowry, and Adams and demonstrates that PFF does not "hate" all of the Pack's defensive linemen. (Hard for me to judge Keke's play given the small sample size but his ranking is certainly encouraging).

Clark is good (probably been dealing with a lingering injury) but needs some help along the interior. Lancaster has been adequate (and made the key defensive play of the game in KC).

Lowry has not been adequate. He had 3 sacks last season and has 0 this season through 10 games. He does not generate much pressure and, outside of the Lions game, has not been effective against the run either.

As for Adams, it was great that he fell on Allen's fumbled snap on Sunday, but he has been practically invisible this season just like the prior two season and he is ranked as one of the worst defensive linemen in the NFL by PFF at this point.

If the D is going to improve another player is going to have to step up on the DL.

Is Looney a possibility? Will Keke see more time? Can Lowry or Adams improve their play?

I don't think it was a coincidence that the 3 street free agents who were in GB yesterday are all defensive linemen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

from The Athletic

The No. 8 ranking in red-zone defense, however, does represent rarefied air for the Packers.
Since finishing 8th in 2007, they have ranked
23rd in 2008,
28th in ’09,
12th in ’10,
20th in ’11,
29th in ’12,
24th in ’13,
20th in ’14,
tied for 16th in ’15,
28th in ’16,
31st in ’17 and tied for 19th last year under Mike Pettine in his first season as the team’s defensive coordinator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

from The Athletic

Montravius Adams (15) recovered Allen’s fumbled snap by digging the ball out from under his legs. Adams is working his hands and feet in better unison on his pass rushes. The coaches appear to be gaining more confidence that both he and Kingsley Keke (11) can hold the fort against double-teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

more from McGinn

Mike Pettine and the staff really must have liked Ibraheim Campbell in his three-game, 114-snap stint a year ago. Activated last week from the physically unable to perform list (torn ACL), he played 42 snaps. Campbell filled the spot next to Blake Martinez that had been handled by Raven Greene, Adrian Amos and Will Redmond. Campbell gave Pettine a bigger, stronger player than Redmond and a better cover man than Burks. Christian McCaffrey is a phenomenal threat as a receiver. In many situations, Campbell either had McCaffrey in man or some form of box-and-one coverage. Late in the game, he wouldn’t let McCaffrey cross his face into the open middle and then the pass outside fell incomplete. Campbell’s shortcomings also were on display, especially early. He was either out of position or slow to react on some crossing routes, and with his very mediocre speed, some receivers ran away from him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Martinez, Fackrell scramble: Huge credit goes to Blake Martinez and Kyler Fackrell on the final play. Martinez realigned Fackrell right before the snap and it saved the day. The entire defensive line was out of position, and neither Fackrell nor Kenny Clark was all that ready for the snap, but Fackrell still found a way to swim past left guard Greg Van Roten and hit McCaffrey in the backfield, allowing Preston Smith to get there and clean it up in time. The Panthers must’ve loved their call, especially with a left guard on Fackrell and everyone scrambling up front before the snap. It took an excellent individual effort to prevent what should have been an easy touchdown.

@packfanfb, repeat after me, "My name is Packfanfb and I don't know WTF I'm talking about." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

@packfanfb, repeat after me, "My name is Packfanfb and I don't know WTF I'm talking about." 

I don't get it. What's the burn here? That Martinez one day might be a really good ILB coach because he knows where to position guys on the field? I've never questioned the guy's intelligence. In fact, Martinez is probably one of the smarter ILBs in the league, he just doesn't do any of the physical stuff very well. I'm not sure why the Martinez debate is even still a thing. At this point, even the typically biased Green Bay media has picked up on his very sub-par play and is writing articles about it. It's not a one-sided argument anymore. Now, the argument is certainly there that Martinez isn't being helped by the lack of talent on our DL (outside of 97) and I get that. I still think he's an average player either way. Of course he's going to look a little better if we have a couple more studs on the DL. I think GB should aim higher at the position and I think they will in 2020. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

from Ben Fennell twitter

 Packers defense leads NFL with 4 INTs in Red Zone ! That's the same number of RZ INTs from the Packers in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 - COMBINED!
Good reason why they are #3 in red zone scoring this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I don't get it. What's the burn here? That Martinez one day might be a really good ILB coach because he knows where to position guys on the field? I've never questioned the guy's intelligence. In fact, Martinez is probably one of the smarter ILBs in the league, he just doesn't do any of the physical stuff very well. I'm not sure why the Martinez debate is even still a thing. At this point, even the typically biased Green Bay media has picked up on his very sub-par play and is writing articles about it. It's not a one-sided argument anymore. Now, the argument is certainly there that Martinez isn't being helped by the lack of talent on our DL (outside of 97) and I get that. I still think he's an average player either way. Of course he's going to look a little better if we have a couple more studs on the DL. I think GB should aim higher at the position and I think they will in 2020. 

He plays dam near every snap, every game with no other help at ILB what is the guy supposed to do. He leads the league in tackles which is what his job is. But how can he attack the LOS when he is the only ILB on the field. He can't he has to diagnose on most plays and as AG has pointed out is usually responsible for 2 gaps and having to take on any guards coming at him. I don't think there is an ILB in the world that would show great play when put against those odds. Not sure what his coach is doing but go figure when we play 2 ILB on the field he is able to attack more and get the run game in better position. I think your review of him is lacking in understanding as to what our DC is asking him to do especially the last 5 weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

don't mean to pile on Martinez, just thought this dude's skills were impressive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Not that I recall really. What kinds of penalties are wiping them out?

holding in the secondary I think wiped out 4-5 for them. I don't think any have been because of them facemasking or roughing the QB, messing up their dress. In general, penalties in the secondary have wiped them out.

For certain, holds wiped out sacks by Griffen/Hunter against Chicago, Kansas City, Detroit. I think one happened in the Philly game and  as well. Even less sure one happened against Washington.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×