2019 Packers Defense Would You Look At It? Just Look At It!

MacReady

A tad concerning that a simple goal line defense would need alignment heroics on the first day of training camp, much less Week 10. Since some take offense to negative posts, I'll add that I'm so thankful we have a player or two smart enough to know that a 5 yard gap in the DL on the one yard line is not a good thing. 9_9

Edited by cannondale

From Zach Kruse

"Tramon Williams has been so quietly steady in 2019. Opponents targeting the Packers' veteran slot cornerback have a 67.3 passer rating"

There's still a fair amount of missed communications on the back end and a part of that is all the youth and Pettine's graduate level defense. I know many were apoplectic at the contract numbers, but Tramon is the vet presence on the back end until Amos and Savage can get up to speed.
Very glad to have him in 2019 and he'll leave behind wiser pupils going forward, imparting wisdom that only comes from a vet player

8 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

From Zach Kruse

"Tramon Williams has been so quietly steady in 2019. Opponents targeting the Packers' veteran slot cornerback have a 67.3 passer rating"

There's still a fair amount of missed communications on the back end and a part of that is all the youth and Pettine's graduate level defense. I know many were apoplectic at the contract numbers, but Tramon is the vet presence on the back end until Amos and Savage can get up to speed.
Very glad to have him in 2019 and he'll leave behind wiser pupils going forward, imparting wisdom that only comes from a vet player

I didn't think it would go well for Tramon, but the numbers seem to say he's been solid for sure.  I think things have already started to improve since Campbell returned from injury.  Amos is now making his presence felt again.  I'm hopeful that Savage will be a force down the stretch.  This secondary should be really good .. I still don't think we've seen their best.

25 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I didn't think it would go well for Tramon, but the numbers seem to say he's been solid for sure.  I think things have already started to improve since Campbell returned from injury.  Amos is now making his presence felt again.  I'm hopeful that Savage will be a force down the stretch.  This secondary should be really good .. I still don't think we've seen their best.

Yea, Savage has had a few mental (rookie) lapses since he's been back. If he can clean those up and we get better play out of King (who hopefully just needs to get healthy), our secondary should take shape. Finally, we need Pettine to start using them correctly. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yea, Savage has had a few mental (rookie) lapses since he's been back. If he can clean those up and we get better play out of King (who hopefully just needs to get healthy), our secondary should take shape. Finally, we need Pettine to start using them correctly. 

Secondary getting amped up will help for sure.  We also need some pass rush other than the Smiths.  Clark was a beast last week and that was fun to watch.  Packers need some of the other bigs to step up and do their part. 

Just now, coachbuns said:

Secondary getting amped up will help for sure.  We also need some pass rush other than the Smiths.  Clark was a beast last week and that was fun to watch.  Packers need some of the other bigs to step up and do their part. 

I'm not holding my breath there. We are what we are on the DL....Clark and a bunch of role guys, none of whom really have a role in helping the pass rush. Best we can hope for is that Adams/Lowry/Lancaster start holding up better against the run which will help our ILBs play better than we've seen so far. As for the pass, it's up to our secondary to tighten up, and outside of the Smiths, you're looking to Clark, Fackrell and Gary to add whatever they can to the pass rush. If the secondary tightens up, maybe we'll see a little more blitzing from Pettine as well down the stretch. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

I'm not holding my breath there. We are what we are on the DL....Clark and a bunch of role guys, none of whom really have a role in helping the pass rush. Best we can hope for is that Adams/Lowry/Lancaster start holding up better against the run which will help our ILBs play better than we've seen so far. As for the pass, it's up to our secondary to tighten up, and outside of the Smiths, you're looking to Clark, Fackrell and Gary to add whatever they can to the pass rush. If the secondary tightens up, maybe we'll see a little more blitzing from Pettine as well down the stretch. 

Best case scenario is Keke is this years Starks. Comes out of seemingly nowhere to be an above average player when the team needs one. 

45 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Tramon in the slot or at least not 1 on 1 on the outside is still an asset. Glad to see him performing so well.

Agree with you that the secondary could be really good and that the return of Campbell (and maybe the return of Greene??) has and will have a positive cascading effect on the entire secondary as Amos returns to S, hopefully easing Savage's burden (& we see less of Redmon), and allowing the primary DBs to play together and hopefully get more in synch.

Much less optimistic about the DL outside of Clark and the primary ILB. 

If we could get even 2017 level play out of Lowry & Martinez that would really boost this defense.

from Ben Fennell via The Athletic

ZSmith is producing disruptive pass rushes from the left, right and interior. This is entering Khalil Mack, Chris Jones, Aaron Donald, Joey Bosa territory of pass-rushing diversity. These guys have the ability to win at multiple defensive line positions, and they do it with an arsenal of rush moves.

And these aren’t pressures created by tight coverage in the secondary as Smith is winning his battles quickly by beating his man and doing his job. He forced several QB hurries and did it from all over. Smith can win with double-hand swipes, cross chops, club rips and the club swim.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/11/12221207/7-ZSMITH-CAR_1.mp4

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

from Ben Fennell via The Athletic

ZSmith is producing disruptive pass rushes from the left, right and interior. This is entering Khalil Mack, Chris Jones, Aaron Donald, Joey Bosa territory of pass-rushing diversity. These guys have the ability to win at multiple defensive line positions, and they do it with an arsenal of rush moves.

And these aren’t pressures created by tight coverage in the secondary as Smith is winning his battles quickly by beating his man and doing his job. He forced several QB hurries and did it from all over. Smith can win with double-hand swipes, cross chops, club rips and the club swim.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/11/12221207/7-ZSMITH-CAR_1.mp4

Za'Darius Smith is an elite rusher from the 3T spot, more at 11.