2019 Packers Defense Would You Look At It? Just Look At It!

MacReady

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

by the end of the year, yeah.

FO has us bottom 5 overall now that I look.. Not bottom 5 in any other thing though.

I wasn't being facetious, I just didn't think we ranked bottom 5 in anything.

I think we can be close to top 10. No glaring reason we can't, we won't be a juggernaut or anything though

Edited by Norm

I guess my larger point that is if this team is going to improve drastically - to the tune of 5-6 more wins, it's going to take the bulk of the improvement coming from the defensive side.

The offense needs to be better, but they don't really have as much room to grow as the defense which was actively a huge negative for the team, even in the earlier part of the season when the team was winning and healthier.

Unless the offense is gonna be truly elite again, like 2018 chiefs level, then having a top 10 defense is the best chance for being very competitive in the playoffs.

Edited by skibrett15
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PACKRULE said:

Is your pressure the same as what the stats guys are calling a pressure to though? What is the metric, and your past exprerience from watching enough should tell you that more often than not a good pressure will result in a throw away or short gain. Yes you will have exceptions to that rule but often that pressure disrupts the timing required for the offense to make the play they want. Lets not forget to that the other team is paid the play and will make plays. If the defensive side of the ball is merely measured fully off sacks well every D sucks. Pressure and making life generally hard for a QB is any DC's job.

I would add that not all pressures are the same. If you force a QB to hurry his throw after 3 seconds it can and usually does result in some type of competition. If you hurry him in 2 or seconds, different story. 

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

so for context... this squad needs to improve from bottom 5 to top 10. 

When is the last time that happened?  Does it happen often?

Definitely the turnover and roster change has been significant, so I'm not ruling it out.  I would expect this defense to be middle of the road, which is actually good production.

I don't see how it's gonna be on the level of Baltimore, Denver, Buffalo, Minnesota, Jacksonville though.

Given the amount of injuries on the D last season

Wilkerson played 3.5 games

clark played 13

Daniels played 10

Perry played 9

King played 7

Clinton Dix was traded mid season

Ryan missed the full season

House played 2.5 games

That is a good chunk of what should have been your starting 11.   Add to that the influx of players ZSmith, PSmith, Gary, Savage, Amos and the hopeful improvement of Alexander, Adams, Lowry, Lancaster.  A decent jump in defensive performance could happen.  Lots of variables need to fall into place for that to happen for sure.  

21 minutes ago, squire12 said:

A decent jump in defensive performance could will happen

Agreed
And the 2018 stats/performance are completely and totally irrelevant to the 2019 squad's performance
Different team, different players, different coaching staff, different schedule

4 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Well, the Packers were 18th in total defense... So, there's that.

:D

yeah, whatever total defense means!

Anyway there's plenty of reasons why the defense was bad last year.  But that doesn't mean they will avoid a spell of injuries or poor play this year either.

I don't think it's blind optimism because I like the moves.  But this could be a much better defense with only a slightly better record.

6 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

yeah, whatever total defense means!

Anyway there's plenty of reasons why the defense was bad last year.  But that doesn't mean they will avoid a spell of injuries or poor play this year either.

I don't think it's blind optimism because I like the moves.  But this could be a much better defense with only a slightly better record.

I almost asked what the **** is total defense lol