2019 Packers Defense Would You Look At It? Just Look At It!

MacReady

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Fackrell is the opposite of a one trick pony? His thing is versatility?

I don't see him that way at all.  He isn't a thumper, he may have improved against the run but that isn't saying much.  He can not play multiple positions in multiple situations, as they think Gary can eventually be used.  I see his forte which will keep him in the NFL as a pass rusher.   Primarily at his best in certain situations.  I do not see a complete player as a starter in Fack's future.  We will likely find out how other teams view him this off season rolling into next season.

14 minutes ago, 15412 said:

I don't see him that way at all.  He isn't a thumper, he may have improved against the run but that isn't saying much.  He can not play multiple positions in multiple situations, as they think Gary can eventually be used.  I see his forte which will keep him in the NFL as a pass rusher.   Primarily at his best in certain situations.  I do not see a complete player as a starter in Fack's future.  We will likely find out how other teams view him this off season rolling into next season.

He can rush the passer a bit and is a pretty good coverage linebacker. That's two tricks.

I think Fackrell is pretty good, honestly.  He is pretty good in coverage.  He has held up in run support this season a lot better than I thought he would.  And he rushes the passer effectively.  It is funny that he got so many sacks last season on so few pressures, and this season he is getting into the backfield, a ton, but can't get a sack.  Unfortunately for him, we signed two FAs and drafted another player at his position in the first round.  

I think he is kind of like Brady Poppinga.  A guy you want on your team but is probably going to get paid just a little more than you want to pay for what he offers.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think Fackrell is pretty good, honestly.  He is pretty good in coverage.  He has held up in run support this season a lot better than I thought he would.  And he rushes the passer effectively.  It is funny that he got so many sacks last season on so few pressures, and this season he is getting into the backfield, a ton, but can't get a sack.  Unfortunately for him, we signed two FAs and drafted another player at his position in the first round.  

I think he is kind of like Brady Poppinga.  A guy you want on your team but is probably going to get paid just a little more than you want to pay for what he offers.

excellent comparison and not just because they both wore 51...

24 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

OK, then he will be signed by someone as a starter.  Right?  I think he is indeed a pretty good pass rusher, although in situational usage maybe.  I do not see his run stop ability, pass coverage ability, or any other ability established enough to call him much more than I have.  Maybe he has more tricks underutilized in the tank, but I would bet against it.

Edited by 15412

6 hours ago, 15412 said:

OK, then he will be signed by someone as a starter.  Right?  I think he is indeed a pretty good pass rusher, although in situational usage maybe.  I do not see his run stop ability, pass coverage ability, or any other ability established enough to call him much more than I have.  Maybe he has more tricks underutilized in the tank, but I would bet against it.

I don't know about starter, but I would say he is a pretty good hand at OLB for your 3rd guy or a spot starter should someone get hurt.  If we had drafted Chris Lindstrom (OL pick 14) instead of Gary, I would be all about re-signing Fackrell.  Fackrell is no longer a liability on any OLB assignment that he is given.  I just think that Fackrell is gone if he signs a fair contract because we have Gary, Smith, and Smith.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't know about starter, but I would say he is a pretty good hand at OLB for your 3rd guy or a spot starter should someone get hurt.  If we had drafted Chris Lindstrom (OL pick 14) instead of Gary, I would be all about re-signing Fackrell.  Fackrell is no longer a liability on any OLB assignment that he is given.  I just think that Fackrell is gone if he signs a fair contract because we have Gary, Smith, and Smith.

Excuse me? Andre Dillard was sitting there for us. It was our destiny, we've forsaken the path set to us by the football gods.

Musings as I go through the 22.

Watching Dean get stoned by FBs gives me headaches.

Ibraheim had a real tough day in coverage, hopefully he had some beneficial meetings over the bye about picking up crossers.

To piggyback on that, not mugging people on crossers is really hurting us. Jaires fast but asking him to follow samuel on a free release from 10 deep is impossible. 

Keke straight up demands more PT as we go.

Preston making open field tackles on McCaffrey cure my Lowry headaches.

Edited by HighCalebR

I was optimistic that with improved play at OLB and Safety the defense could be a top 10 unit in 2019.

I was wrong, very, very wrong.

The Smith brothers are better than advertised. Amos and Savage are decent. Kenny Clark is a good DT and Jaire is a good CB.

So much for the good news on D.

Elsewhere, when it comes to backup OLBs, Fackrell has .5 sacks on the season and will not be back. He still gets more snaps than #1 pick Gary who we all HOPE will get better in year 2.

Montravious Adams, Dean Lowry, and Tyler Lancaster are all below replacement players along the DLine. Collectively, they really do suck. The jury remains out on Keke who does not play much.

Blake Martinez is a below average ILBer with no outstanding feature other than tackling opponents well down field.

Whoever has been next to Martinez, Goodson, Burks, or Campbell, has not even played at a JAG level.

Kevin King has become a net liability.

Tramon has been OK but he is obviously done. Who is the 3rd CB going forward? No idea.

I cannot believe that the Packers may need to use a 1st round pick on the defensive side of the ball for the ninth straight year but here we are.

Just now, Lodestar said:

The defense was... fine. If our offense had shown up and we were able to play with a positive or even neutral game script, the D would have looked a lot different. 

Still too many vertical plays for SF and too many open WRs/TEs - for my liking at least.

We cant get a breath of space from their DBs - meanwhile, their receivers are catching zipped passes in clean rhythm and picking up sizeable YAC.

Not good IMO. Not good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

The defense was... fine. If our offense had shown up and we were able to play with a positive or even neutral game script, the D would have looked a lot different. 

The offense was beyond putrid against the 49ers.

Had the offense just been average the D would have no doubt performed much better tonight.

But 11 games in, the D is consistently getting shredded whether the offense performs or not and has now fallen out of top half in points allowed per game.

Other than the Smith brothers, I can't think of another defender who has outperformed expectations this season can you?