Official: Dolphins trade for Cardinals QB Josh Rosen

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, DawgX said:

I really like the trade for Miami. But man, Rosen is going to continue to get murdered if they don't fix that offensive line.

This was the major problem to me. There was so much talent at OL still on the board I really wanted to just invest in the trenches and pick up the QB later. Deiter is not a bad player but I feel like we could've added another OL by staying put. Certainly, we aren't really putting Rosen in a better position than he had in Arizona last year so I'm not entirely sure why people think he's going to magically pan out.

14 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

1. I never once claimed this, I merely said I trust my own opinion more because I know from what they are based

2. Ok. Sig bet Rosen becomes a top 10 QB at any point in his career? Heck, I'd be ok with using PFF grades for this one. I'm that confident. Are you?

Maybe I'm wrong. Actually I hope I'm wrong considering he's a freaking Dolphin now. /shrug

1. Semantics

2. Sure

It sounds like Dolphin fans aren't too excited about Rosen, but #62 is a small price to pay for a player who could end up being the steal of this entire draft.  People just need to give Rosen some semblance of a supporting cast and a chance to see what he can do with it.

• Like 4

No matter how Rosen works, to spend only 2.62 is just insane value for the risk/reward ratio.  

And given they were actually considering 2.48 for a while, to be able to move back from 2.48, get a 2020 2nd, and then use 2.62 and a 5th to get Rosen?  GM Chris Grier deserves the award for "most value gained in trade during draft" award.

The days of GM Mike Tannenbaum throwing away picks and taking on extra cap salary for marginal gains seem to be done.  Good for MIA.  If Rosen works out, then their return to relevance just got a TON quicker, since they can use their early 1st round capital elsewhere (or trade it for a mint if Rosen's the guy - and if they fix OL, I actually think that's still a very likely outcome, barring injury).  If he busts, the cost was mega-negligible.

The only problem I see is the OL still sucks.   Any QB won't succeed with that, but more importantly, Rosen was lucky not to get killed last year (he actually showed more functional mobility than advertised, how he avoided getting murdered, but you don't want to risk that forever).   

From an outsider's view, this was a fantastic move by MIA, little to no risk.  But more importantly, it's a sign GM Grier knows what he's doing.  That's even better for MIA's future and their fanbase.  This year will suck, but I've always said better to commit to a full rebuild for 2 years than to go in-between - the chances year 3 is a return to legit contention is 10x greather IMO.  My 2 cents.

Another interesting part of this trade is that Arizona will be paying 70% of Rosen's salary for the next three years.  That means if Rosen can become a capable starter for the Dolphins, they will be paying their starting quarterback only around $2M/year during that time.  This could be HUGE for Miami.

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

Another interesting part of this trade is that Arizona will be paying 70% of Rosen's salary for the next three years.  That means if Rosen can become a capable starter for the Dolphins, they will be paying their starting quarterback only around $2M/year during that time.

This could be HUGE for Miami.

It's why I don't get the angst.   

He's either your future, and he's cheap.

He's not your future, you've not even invested enough pick or $ wise that it doesn't tie you to stick with him if he's still struggling.  You can even go QB next year Rd1 worst-case, if he's injured or really keeps flaming out (I don't believe the latter, I very much believe the former could happen if MIA's OL is as bad as it was last year).

Either way, the cost is nothing.  There is nothing that ties Rosen to the future, there's only MASSIVE upside if it works - if it works, then wow, the rebuild is literally a top 5-10 pick early, since MIA is clearly going to still go young/2020+, given their draft picks and trade strategy.

And to boot, GM Grier bargained ARI from 2.48 to 2.62 with a 5th....and got a 2020 2nd in return.    

I mean, after years of Tannenbaum and truly horrific QB play with no future, you get  freebie thrown your way with a guy good enough to be taken top 10, who struggled behind the literally worst OL play in 30 years...and a bottom 5 OC in the post-cap era with Mike McCoy.   It's literally a free shot, and it isn't stopping your team from committing to the rebuild.

• Like 1

Or they gave up early 3rd round value for a guy who can't play.

Everyone needs to get over his grade coming out of college.

He put a rookie season on film and no one was impressed in any way at all (outside of a PFF puff piece showing him making some basic throws)

The answer to where Josh Rosen would have gone in this draft is very late in the 2nd round with a 5th round pick thrown in.

• His highest current value is about the 75th player in this draft. (by Miami)
  • Every other team had him rated lower (or did not want him at all)
  • They all had about 465 drop backs to study from the 2018 season.

If anyone thinks they are smarter than NFL GMs because they make magic O-line value calculations in their head to see his true value has to realize that every NFL GM calculates that stuff as well (but not with rose colored fan boy glasses)