2018 NFL Draft - The Home Stretch

swede700

It's awfully early now, but with the college football season getting underway, I'd like to just start some discussion on some players that could look like potential targets for the Vikings in next year's draft.  With the major weakness appearing to still be the offensive line, let's look there first:

OT Mike McGlinchey (Notre Dame) - 6'7", 312 lbs

Started all 13 games at right tackle on an offensive line which was a finalist for the inaugural Joe Moore Award...part of an offensive line that helped the Irish average 5.63 rushing yards per carry (eighth-best in the FBS)

The Vikings likely won't get a shot at him, since he'll probably be selected in the top 10, if not the top 5 of the Draft...but, he would probably be an ideal candidate to start at RT.  

OT Chukwuma Okorafor (Western Michigan) - 6'5", 330 lbs

He is part of a Bronco offensive line that was ranked No. 4 in the country by Pro Football Focus...

PJ Fleck guy...just based on the description of him, he probably wouldn't be a LT at the NFL level, likely would be a RT.  

OG Quenton Nelson (Notre Dame) - 6'5", 329 lbs

Most people don’t know this but there is a picture of Quenton Nelson next to the word “steamroller” in the dictionary. 

I would love to see this guy starting at LG in place of Alex Boone in 2018.  

If anyone else has other prospects that we can watch this upcoming season, let us know!

Our QB could be a mess going into 2018. This year has the appearance of being an actually decent year for QBs (but we say this every August/September) anyways, some top names out there:

Sam Darnold

Lamar Jackson

Josh Rosen

Josh Allen

Mason Rudolph

Luke Falk

Darnold seems like everyone's 1. Beside him, who's the next best QB?

Offense - need a top LT and RG. I don't see too many glaring needs other than improving the OL. I don't anticipate a change at QB, it will likely be Bradford vs. Teddy. Skill positions are set.

Defense - Huge need at UT unless Jaleel Johnson plays well. Safety is a need too, I think we will start to see Smith regress and injuries seem to be an issue. Sendejo isn't an ideal starter. Could probably grab an OLB but that will depend on Barr and Gedeon.

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Our QB could be a mess going into 2018. This year has the appearance of being an actually decent year for QBs (but we say this every August/September) anyways, some top names out there:

Darnold seems like everyone's 1. Beside him, who's the next best QB?

I was going to go here as well.

Personally, I believe a great QB can mask an OL's deficiencies better than a OL can mask a QB's deficiencies. Even if you draft 5 new linemen, I'm still not likely to be comfortable calling TB or SB the QBOTF. They both have a chance, but not a great at this point. Aaron Rodgers makes the GB line look competent. Same with Tom Brady in NE. If this team is drafting Top 5-10, drafting a QB will have a far greater effect on the offense than one lineman would have.

I know it seems like a high price to pay after just investing two 1st rounders at the position in the last 5 years, but I think it'd be worth it if you pick the right guy.

As for who I'd pick, you're going to get sick of me in 2018 quarterback discussions because I'm all in on my guy Josh Allen from Wyoming. Physically, he has every characteristic you want in a quarterback. He's 6-5, 240 lbs, with a cannon arm that would rival Brett Favre. His arm strength is there when he's set in the pocket, rolling out to his right, and even rolling out to his left. Unfortunately with that arm talent comes the belief like Favre that he can make every throw, and that led to some poor decisions last year in his first full season as a FBS starting QB. He's said the right things all offseason about making better reads, but the proof will be out on the field starting Saturday in Iowa City against a very good defense.

Along with that ridiculous arm talent comes great mobility. He's 6-5, 240 lbs, but his not a statue in the pocket. He can evade pressure, and get yards in the ground game if necessary.

Now, he's not without flaws and concerns. I already mentioned one. Along with that, he was the anti-Bradford in that he rarely checked down to his backs and guys underneath. He often went for the highlight play and not for the simple play. That got him in trouble many times with INTs and also had a drastic effect on his completion percentage. Another slight concern going into Saturday is the unknowns around his weapons. His top two RBs, top two WRs and top TE all graduated, leaving a lot of questions. His top returning WR had just 21 receptions. Another at 11 and one at 6, but the last one is out six weeks with a broken collarbone.

I think it's important to point out that this is the same head coach and offensive coordinator that discovered, recruited and began development of Carson Wentz. That should ease concerns over taking a Wyoming QB, if there are any.

I'm a Wyoming fan, so I'm biased. All that said, this kid is the real deal. He has the potential to be special. If the Vikings are in the market for a QB, I really hope they give this kid a long look. If not, he could be a great fit for a number of teams.

1 minute ago, Klomp said:

No.

Sorry, Klomp, but it's true. Allen is just another big quarterback with a big arm that's lacking just about everything else. His footwork is awful and leads to terrible accuracy, his pocket awareness is poor, and he struggles going past his first read. 

I don't expect a fan of Wyoming to agree, but your bias, as you say, is clear. 

2 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Derwin James - Don't really need him but it would take the defense to the next level. Outside of that just get some offensive lineman that can play. I like Isidora and Eiflen. The rest are replaceable.

Not sure how to feel about Isidora yet but he's looked better than some of the other late round OL drafted this early on. I'd really like to see Easton or Isidora emerge as a decent enough starting OG. Add another OT and OG, who is doable in one offseason and I'd feel much better about the OL. I don't like the outlook of Boone and Remmers and Berger is on his last legs, can't see him returning in 2018.

LT Reiff or 1st rd pick

LG Easton/Isidora

C Elflein

RG 2nd/3rd rd pick or Impact FA

RT Reiff or 1st rd pick 

Remmers sticks around as a backup T/G. 

5 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Not sure how to feel about Isidora yet but he's looked better than some of the other late round OL drafted this early on. I'd really like to see Easton or Isidora emerge as a decent enough starting OG. Add another OT and OG, who is doable in one offseason and I'd feel much better about the OL. I don't like the outlook of Boone and Remmers and Berger is on his last legs, can't see him returning in 2018.

LT Reiff or 1st rd pick

LG Easton/Isidora

C Elflein

RG 2nd/3rd rd pick or Impact FA

RT Reiff or 1st rd pick 

Remmers sticks around as a backup T/G. 

Frank Ragnow would be a great pick. He's been nothing short of amazing at Arkansas. Will probably go in the first round though.

Archived