22. Connor Williams - OL - Texas
23. Taven Bryan - DL - Florida
24. Will Hernandez - G - UTEP
25. Rashaan Evans - LB - Alabama
26. Maurice Hurst - DL - Michigan
27. Marcus Davenport - EDGE - UTSA

55 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

They aren’t “true centers” —

Ragnow has 15 career starts at right guard, including his entire sophomore year, and a 2017 game against Alabama (there’s a cut up on YouTube) where he was blocking Da’Ron Payne.

Price started 2 years at guard before moving to C his last season. 

Daniels is the closest to a “true center” but even he played G for a few games as a freshman. 

21 minutes ago, Krauser said:

They aren’t “true centers” —

Ragnow has 15 career starts at right guard, including his entire sophomore year, and a 2017 game against Alabama (there’s a cut up on YouTube) where he was blocking Da’Ron Payne.

Price started 2 years at guard before moving to C his last season. 

Daniels is the closest to a “true center” but even he played G for a few games as a freshman. 

2 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

Added a few boards and here are the first round rankings

Can you help me understand why the column M in your aggregate board has nobody listed as the number 1 pick and instead two listed as number 2?

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I wouldn't draft Daniels to play guard, but YMMV.

I don't think Price is a 1st rounder even before the pec injury, and especially not after. 

Ragnow might be a 1st rounder, and could be ranked ahead of Hernandez (better fit for a zone scheme) or Wynn (no concern for lingering injury) on some boards, even as a guard. 

Would you rather see the Vikings take Ragnow late 1st, or the 3rd tackle (counting McGlinchey and Williams as the top 2) off the board, with Miller or Crosby, etc? I think Ragnow isn't a reach as a 1st rounder, he's legitimately good, but the 2nd tier tackles would be at that draft position. 

11 minutes ago, Krauser said:

I don't think Price is a 1st rounder even before the pec injury, and especially not after. 

Ragnow might be a 1st rounder, and could be ranked ahead of Hernandez (better fit for a zone scheme) or Wynn (no concern for lingering injury) on some boards, even as a guard. 

Would you rather see the Vikings take Ragnow late 1st, or the 3rd tackle (counting McGlinchey and Williams as the top 2) off the board, with Miller or Crosby, etc? I think Ragnow isn't a reach as a 1st rounder, he's legitimately good, but the 2nd tier tackles would be at that draft position. 

I’m in agreement with you, I’m just curious as to how NFL teams look at it. 

Schwartz’s comments were just an interesting perspective that I hadn’t really seen. 

58 minutes ago, Krauser said:

I just did my mock draft for the challenge, and both Wynn and Ragnow were on the board, and I took Ragnow.  For whatever reason, beyond the injury, I just don't feel that Wynn is a good fit for the Vikings' OL.  

7 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

If Rick values the 5th year option highly, as we know he does....

I hope the Vikings don't reach on a "non 1st round graded OL prospect" at pick #30.

Its more palatable if they reached on a "3rd round graded OL prospect" at pick #62, if need be.

Mayock ranks your favorite Josh Jackson 44th, well after "non 1st round graded OL" Ragnow at 19, among others (Corbett at 39, etc). 

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000928186/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-top-100-prospect-rankings

He has Connor Williams 40th, but at pick 30 most Vikings fans will consider Williams "great value" and Ragnow a "reach". 

Fans are biased by the pre-draft buzz around prospects. Many players end up grading out quite differently than mock drafts and big boards expect, especially those put together well ahead of the draft.

Prospects who start the draft process ranked highly and then "fall" (because they didn't actually end up being ranked that highly by the NFL in general) are considered "steals" on draft day, while those who start out lower ranked and then "rise" (because NFL final boards had them ranked highly in the end) are considered "reaches". 

Generally, most "steals" aren't actually better value than their pick position. For recent Vikings drafts: 

• Sharrif Floyd was "projected top 5" but in retrospect #23 was about right, and Sheldon Richardson taken ahead of him was clearly the better player even when Floyd was healthy
  • Bridgewater was a "potential #1 overall" but in retrospect he went right around where he should have, didn't outplay Carr (taken a few picks later) by much if at all
  • Mac Alexander was a "first round talent" but he's clearly been outplayed by actual late 1st round 2016 CB Artie Burns, and James Bradberry taken late 2nd has been better than him too
  • Crichton, Yankey, Clemmings were all "steals" but none of them outplayed their draft position

Meanwhile among Spielman's few "reaches": 

• Ellison "shouldn't have been drafted" but he was a very good blocking TE and got a nice 2nd contract from the Giants
  • Gedeon was a "reach" but he was a very good run stopping LB on early downs as a rookie

Spielman has done a great job of managing value on draft day, trading up and down while filling needs. If he takes a "non 1st round" OL at #30 I'm sure there'll be a good reason. 

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

30 feels way to early for Hubbard, but with the lack of depth at DE, I think he’ll be long gone by 62. 

I fully understand this sentiment. I think the likeliest way he ends up here is if we trade out of the 1st into the 35-45 range. Seems a likely sweet spot.

With a guy like that though, remember he's going to be a draftable commodity for both 43 and 34 teams.

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

If Rick values the 5th year option highly, as we know he does....

I hope the Vikings don't reach on a "non 1st round graded OL prospect" at pick #30.

Its more palatable if they reached on a "3rd round graded OL prospect" at pick #62, if need be.

Seeing as how there are likely only 15-20 players with 1st round grades, you’re going to be disappointed. 

Archived