2018 NFL Draft - The Home Stretch

swede700

54 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Mayock ranks your favorite Josh Jackson 44th, well after "non 1st round graded OL" Ragnow at 19, among others (Corbett at 39, etc). 

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000928186/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-top-100-prospect-rankings

He has Connor Williams 40th, but at pick 30 most Vikings fans will consider Williams "great value" and Ragnow a "reach". 

Fans are biased by the pre-draft buzz around prospects. Many players end up grading out quite differently than mock drafts and big boards expect, especially those put together well ahead of the draft.

Prospects who start the draft process ranked highly and then "fall" (because they didn't actually end up being ranked that highly by the NFL in general) are considered "steals" on draft day, while those who start out lower ranked and then "rise" (because NFL final boards had them ranked highly in the end) are considered "reaches". 

Generally, most "steals" aren't actually better value than their pick position. For recent Vikings drafts: 

• Sharrif Floyd was "projected top 5" but in retrospect #23 was about right, and Sheldon Richardson taken ahead of him was clearly the better player even when Floyd was healthy
  • Bridgewater was a "potential #1 overall" but in retrospect he went right around where he should have, didn't outplay Carr (taken a few picks later) by much if at all
  • Mac Alexander was a "first round talent" but he's clearly been outplayed by actual late 1st round 2016 CB Artie Burns, and James Bradberry taken late 2nd has been better than him too
  • Crichton, Yankey, Clemmings were all "steals" but none of them outplayed their draft position

Meanwhile among Spielman's few "reaches": 

• Ellison "shouldn't have been drafted" but he was a very good blocking TE and got a nice 2nd contract from the Giants
  • Gedeon was a "reach" but he was a very good run stopping LB on early downs as a rookie

Spielman has done a great job of managing value on draft day, trading up and down while filling needs. If he takes a "non 1st round" OL at #30 I'm sure there'll be a good reason. 

Spielman has done a much better job with his earlier defensive picks than the offensive ones.  Zimmer's influence has helped in evaluating and developing defensive players.  RTP certainly hit on the first two picks on offense in 2017 with Cook and Elflein and has hopefully turned a corner in drafting on offense.

1 hour ago, Snake Plissken said:

Spielman has done a much better job with his earlier defensive picks than the offensive ones.  Zimmer's influence has helped in evaluating and developing defensive players.  

Pre-Zimmer, post-TOA Spielman earlier round defensive picks aren't bad: 

• Floyd 23rd
  • Rhodes 25th
  • Smith 29th
  • Josh Robinson 66th
  • Gerald Hodges 120th

Robinson is the only non-injury disappointment there. The 1st rounders are really good.

One of Spielman's worst defensive picks was Crichton 72nd in 2014, which Zimmer was on board for. 

It’s going to be a long wait for Vikings fans tomorrow night, but if you’re a fan of the draft in general, this is going to be one of the more exciting drafts in recent years. 

The first draft that I remember watching, and truly paying attention too, was the 2002 draft. And I can’t remember one that had has much mystery or intrigue as this year’s. 

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

wouldn't surprise me at all if we go TE or S at #30.

Also wouldn’t be surprised if we go DT, DE, CB, OT, and of course OG.  We definitely need an OG/OT in the first 3 rounds, but other than that, no clue. Going to be an exciting draft.

15 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

wouldn't surprise me at all if we go TE or S at #30.

Agreed.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if TE would be the priority if there were no value on the OL available.  Also CB would not be a huge surprise, especially if Josh Jackson is still on the board.

5 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Can you help me understand why the column M in your aggregate board has nobody listed as the number 1 pick and instead two listed as number 2?

Must be a typo! Thank you for pointing it out!

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

1st round grades diff from team to team.

It won't match an insider's 1st round grades either.

They vary from team to team, but most end up in the 15-20 range from what insiders report on their teams.

2 hours ago, Krauser said:

Pre-Zimmer, post-TOA Spielman earlier round defensive picks aren't bad: 

• Floyd 23rd
  • Rhodes 25th
  • Smith 29th
  • Josh Robinson 66th
  • Gerald Hodges 120th

Robinson is the only non-injury disappointment there. The 1st rounders are really good.

One of Spielman's worst defensive picks was Crichton 72nd in 2014, which Zimmer was on board for. 

Yep.  They have done a nice job (for the most part) under Zimmer.

Anyone looking at the board and notice a name that should be added? link me the board and I'll do it; I'm just about to tackle Kiper's.

Boards need to be at least 100 deep (so I'm not adding Matt Miller's).

Archived