2018 NFL Draft - The Home Stretch

swede700

5 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Really? I see him as another Reiff in the NFL - a solid RT, can play LT in a pinch, but probably isn't going to be a pro bowler or even top 10 at his position. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily. I just think the other two options have the potential for greater impact/higher ceiling players.

Absolutely, I personally don't like trading back that far and I think you can just plug him in at RT and you won't have to worry about the position for a long while.  This team doesn't need a pro bowler at RT, they need solid talent on the line and consistency.  They'd get that with McGlinchey.  

And while Bryan is one of my favorite players in the draft, now that they've brought in Richardson for this year, I just don't see the point in spending a 1st round pick on a 3-tech who wouldn't start in year 1.  

@rpmwr19 has said he is going to be traveling during the draft (¬¬and won't be able to make the usual draft day threads. I can run things on days 2+3, but I will be mostly offline the night of the 1st round, so we need someone that can make the appropriate threads when the Vikings draft someone or make a trade.

Who is going to be online during the first round and wants to handle it? @disaacs @SemperFeist @gopherwrestler ?

^ I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to oversee a forum during the NFL Draft, visited by dozens of individuals with strong preferences for draft choices the Vikings GM should make.  If the actual choices aren't what fans expect, you can rest assured they will all behave in a mature manner, and accept that the management knows what they are doing... and won't make any off-color remarks about the ancestry of those coaches, GM, and scouts who draft choices are at great variance with their preferred players.  ;)

3 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

@rpmwr19 has said he is going to be traveling during the draft (¬¬and won't be able to make the usual draft day threads. I can run things on days 2+3, but I will be mostly offline the night of the 1st round, so we need someone that can make the appropriate threads when the Vikings draft someone or make a trade.

Who is going to be online during the first round and wants to handle it? @disaacs @SemperFeist @gopherwrestler ?

I honestly still may be up for the draft - it will just depend on my internet connection so I don't think I would count on me! Plus, the draft starts like 2am Friday morning (local time) for me :D

RPMs Weekly - Prep Hour - Mock

1.30 - Connor Williams [T/G] Texas Longhorns

TRADE - The Vikings send pick 2.62 and a 2019 3rd round pick to Indianapolis for pick 2.49

2.49 - Justin Reid [DB] Stanford Cardinal
3.94 - Andrew Brown [DL] Virginia Cavaliers
5.167 - Antonio Callaway [WR] Florida Gators
6.204 - Shaun Dion Hamilton [LB] Alabama Crimson Tide
6.213 - Scott Quessenberry [IOL] UCLA Bruins
6.218 - Taron Johnson [CB] Weber State Wildcats
7.225 - Akrum Wadley [RB] Iowa Hawkeyes

3 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

TRADE - The Vikings send pick 2.62 and a 2019 3rd round pick to Indianapolis for pick 2.49

No DE? 49 might be a great spot for one. Kind of surprised since Robison has at most one year, not sure about Weatherly or Bower. Hunter is in the final year of his contract too.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

No DE? 49 might be a great spot for one. Kind of surprised since Robison has at most one year, not sure about Weatherly or Bower. Hunter is in the final year of his contract too.

Not a fan of this DE class in general, but that is a position that could be addressed. I don’t expect them to spend a top two round pick on a defensive end because it’s been a position we’ve gotten production out of third and fourth rounders and have a nice developmental prospect in Bower already. 

In general, you don’t spend the higher picks on positions you’ve been able to teach and develop. 

given the vikings' love for force players, i don't see many options for later picks that fit that bill though that's just going off combine numbers, more could arise from pro days.

kylie fitts might be one that qualifies though (his jumps aren't great), he's projected as a mid/late round project. 

10 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I just don’t see Reid as a fit in this defense. 

Do tell.  I know very little about him, other then the fact that he tested well and draft twitter seems to like him.

Also, sidenote for everyone.  Josh Sweat needs to be on the Vikings radar at DE.

14 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Also, sidenote for everyone.  Josh Sweat needs to be on the Vikings radar at DE.

I’ve had him on both my mocks. Huge fan.

with Reid. He is just a average guy at about everything. Some people really like his tackling, some, like me, actually criticize it. He has a Sendejo thing, where he launches. But is launches are much lower. When you do that, you miss.

I do like him, don’t get me wrong, but he is a very average jack.

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

5th round would be too early for me to take a flier on Callaway. 

I think the 5th is about right for those players. You might end up with a Diggs or Tyreek Hill. I'd rather take a chance on a very talented guy with injury/off-field issues in the fifth than settle for Kentrell Brothers or David Yankey. I think the 5th is squarely in the "swing for the fences" territory as a "safe" 5th rounder is probably just going to be a special teamer.

17 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

Good mix by position, in the sequence that makes the most sense as regards yielding the most significant upgrade of the units (OL, DB, receivers, etc.).

It would be very good if AC, SH, TJ, and/ or AW have good potential as KRs or PRs or Gunners on STs.

Archived