Round 2, Pick 36: San Francisco 49ers Select WR Deebo Samuel, South Carolina

J-ALL-DAY

31 yds per reception on slant routes per PFF. Showed the reason why at the Senior Bowl when he dominated one on one practices. Our biggest problem last season was when teams decided to man up across the board; Deebo dominates against man coverage. And he played most of his snaps out wide, while Brown was in the slot most of the time. Don't get me wrong, I love A.J. He's better at feeling zones and a touch more explosive near tacklers, has a superb injury history. But Deebo is similar and his contrasting skillset helps us deal with one of our biggest problems.  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

Won't complain if he stays fit and produces obviously, but I'm still a little disappointed AJ Brown was there and they didn't get him. Hopefully in January this will look like the right decision.

I think this really confirms to me that the most valuable thing to Shanny is separation at EVERY position. I believe receivers can win in multiple ways...but he wants everyone to be able to just break off routes and release at the line. 

If Samuel can stay Healthy, i'm totally fine with it..big..big if. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JIllg said:

31 yds per reception on slant routes per PFF. Showed the reason why at the Senior Bowl when he dominated one on one practices. Our biggest problem last season was when teams decided to man up across the board; Deebo dominates against man coverage. And he played most of his snaps out wide, while Brown was in the slot most of the time. Don't get me wrong, I love A.J. He's better at feeling zones and a touch more explosive near tacklers, has a superb injury history. But Deebo is similar and his contrasting skillset helps us deal with one of our biggest problems.  

I remember those first three games last year  especially the first two it seemed like our guys were having issues separating. Especially when Goodwin got hurt. Maybe Jimmy held the ball too long as well. At any rate, his pressence should help.

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

All of the Friday jokes will be great to use if he becomes good.

Little chance he doesn't become good. Only way he doesn't is if he is injury prone. But dude is extremely physical, very good route runner and super competitive. He has some Boldin in him. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Would have gone Brown, but not mad at this pick.

Both our starting WRs are going to be damn good route runners. Samuel obviously brings more physicality than Pettis.

i feel the same way, 
I know Deebo was mocked to us in several mock drafts but that was because it was projected that many WRs better than him would be gone by our pick

I don't dislike him but i feel like we could have drafted better at WR at our pick

Its like if you have a taste for some BBQ ribs but only have enough money for some burgers on the grill

but when you get to the supermarket, you find out the ribs are on sale and you CAN afford them ......but you buy the hamburger meat anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pandomonium said:

i feel the same way, 
I know Deebo was mocked to us in several mock drafts but that was because it was projected that many WRs better than him would be gone by our pick

I don't dislike him but i feel like we could have drafted better at WR at our pick

Its like if you have a taste for some BBQ ribs but only have enough money for some burgers on the grill

but when you get to the supermarket, you find out the ribs are on sale and you CAN afford them ......but you buy the hamburger meat anyway.

Meh, we got a up close and personal look at Samuel for a week in Mobile. It was no secret that we really liked his talent. Of the two guys I would have taken ahead of him, one went with the last pick of the first round and the other was the first pick in the 4th round. I have no issue with the pick. I personally had Deebo ahead of Brown, who most wanted. I thought he was more twitchy, little more explosive than Brown. Brown was a little bigger, better after the catch and better in contested ball situations. But I didn't think he was good at creating separation the way Shanny likes his WRs to. Deebo put on a show@Senior Bowl practices. Against some of the same CBs that were drafted ahead of him and in the very same round. I think that speaks to his abilities and why he was chosen over others we all may have thought projected to be better players.

Cant wait for TC. The battle@WR for roster spots is going to be so fun to watch in pre-season. Some very good talent is not going to make this roster.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Meh, we got a up close and personal look at Samuel for a week in Mobile. It was no secret that we really liked his talent. Of the two guys I would have taken ahead of him, one went with the last pick of the first round and the other was the first pick in the 4th round. I have no issue with the pick. I personally had Deebo ahead of Brown, who most wanted. I thought he was more twitchy, little more explosive than Brown. Brown was a little bigger, better after the catch and better in contested ball situations. But I didn't think he was good at creating separation the way Shanny likes his WRs to. Deebo put on a show@Senior Bowl practices. Against some of the same CBs that were drafted ahead of him and in the very same round. I think that speaks to his abilities and why he was chosen over others we all may have thought projected to be better players.

Cant wait for TC. The battle@WR for roster spots is going to be so fun to watch in pre-season. Some very good talent is not going to make this roster.

I definitely agree with the TC WR battle for roster spots being exciting. 

there are going to be some good WRs without a job at the end of TC sadly....

13 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Taylor, Bourne, even James could be at risk, unfortunately. McCaffrey likely won't be kept.

I think we will likely keep six. Matthews is roster fodder without a big off season. Taylor and James will be a big matchup in my opinion. 

Pettis

Deebo

Goodwin

Bourne

Hurd

James / Taylor