Round 2, Pick 36: San Francisco 49ers Select WR Deebo Samuel, South Carolina

J-ALL-DAY

I think Matthews can beat out Bourne. He looked good when he rejoined the Eagles towards the end of the season. Bourne is on the hot seat. He had a prime opportunity to step up last year with all the injuries and didn't take advantage. He was very inconsistent. If If I had to pick right now, I'd go with Matthews.

Edited by 757-NINER

8 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I think Matthews can beat out Bourne. He looked good when he rejoined the Eagles towards the end of the season. Bourne is on the hot seat. He had a prime opportunity to step up last year with all the injuries and didn't take advantage. He was very inconsistent. If If I had to pick right now, I'd go with Matthews.

I wouldn't, though neither is very good, so it wouldn't shock me if he did. But Bourne holds several advantages right now in my opinion

9 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Don't think they will keep Matthews over Bourne if it comes down to that. But really, will be hard for either to make the team. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Don't think they will keep Matthews over Bourne if it comes down to that. But really, will be hard for either to make the team. 

Depends on if they keep six. If they keep six, one will make it I think unless James and Taylor both look fantastic. 

Just now, Forge said:

Depends on if they keep six. If they keep six, one will make it I think unless James and Taylor both look fantastic. 

I cant see us keeping both James and Taylor with Deebo now in the fold. Samuel is sure to see alot of work in the slot, along with Hurd and Pettis. One will have to go imo.

Right now, I think Goodwin, Pettis, Samuel, and Hurd are virtual locks, barring injury. And seeing as our RBs will play a big part in the pass game, I expect all of Coleman, McKinnon, Brieda, and Morstert to make the roster...along with Juice. That leaves only one more WR slot imo...

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

I cant see us keeping both James and Taylor with Deebo now in the fold. Samuel is sure to see alot of work in the slot, along with Hurd and Pettis. One will have to go imo.

I agree, that's why I had the Taylor / James in my OP. They would both have to look fantastic.

I think everyone will see time in the slot. Pettis, Deebo, Taylor, etc. I think the team wants versatility. Sometimes you may have Pettis at x, Deebo at Z, Taylor in the slot. Sometimes Goodwin / Deebo / Pettis, sometimes Pettis / Bourne / Deebo. 

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

Right now, I think Goodwin, Pettis, Samuel, and Hurd are virtual locks, barring injury. And seeing as our RBs will play a big part in the pass game, I expect all of Coleman, McKinnon, Brieda, and Morstert to make the roster...along with Juice. That leaves only one more WR slot imo...

If they keep five, James and Taylor will have a slight built in advantage due to special teams work

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I only see us keeping five WRs since there is a chance we will keep five backs (including Juice).

If we only carry 5, it really makes me meh on the Hurd selection to be honest. While Hurd was always an intriguing option, I never considered him to be ready to come in and make an impact. By taking him in round 3, he's basically cemented that roster spot. Then we have Goodwin / Pettis / Deebo, all three guys whom have problems staying on the field, and then whomever makes it out of Taylor / James / Bourne / Matthews. It's just not a particularly deep group when the majority of them have problems staying on the field. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

If we only carry 5, it really makes me meh on the Hurd selection to be honest. While Hurd was always an intriguing option, I never considered him to be ready to come in and make an impact. By taking him in round 3, he's basically cemented that roster spot. Then we have Goodwin / Pettis / Deebo, all three guys whom have problems staying on the field, and then whomever makes it out of Taylor / James / Bourne / Matthews. It's just not a particularly deep group when the majority of them have problems staying on the field. 

I mentioned it last night, but Eric Crocker thinks Hurd is legit as a WR and runs nice routes. That's good to hear. I like yourself thought he would be a bit of a developmental player who would be transitioning to TE, but for the time being will be used in multiple ways. I see these five ultimately making the team:

Pettis

Samuel

Goodwin

Hurd

James

I gave James the edge over Taylor because of his STs ability. First guy with a return TD for us since when, the Ginn days? Though I will say that Taylor played hurt last year and without Jimmy G. We saw the chemistry those two had in 2017 so that could change things. 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Just remember that at this same time a year ago most of us(I most definitely) were questioning the Pettis pick with alot of uncertainty with just how it was going to work out. Shanny has a plan for Hurd, just like he had a plan for Pettis. I'm not gonna worry about how it affects the roster right now. That will work itself out. What I do know is that Hurd brings something to the WR group no one else on the roster does. And that unique skillset and physical presence is something alot of us have been clamoring for so I'm eagerly anticipating him having a impact and making someone else on the roster expendable. That's what he was drafted to do...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Just remember that at this same time a year ago most of us(I most definitely) were questioning the Pettis pick with alot of uncertainty with just how it was going to work out. Shanny has a plan for Hurd, just like he had a plan for Pettis. I'm not gonna worry about how it affects the roster right now. That will work itself out. What I do know is that Hurd brings something to the WR group no one else on the roster does. And that unique skillset and physical presence is something alot of us have been clamoring for so I'm eagerly anticipating him having a impact and making someone else on the roster expendable. That's what he was drafted to do...

That's a pretty good post. 

• Like 1

When it comes to Deebo, though he will be a rookie, one of the things I liked about him as a prospect is that I he should be able to come in right away an have a immediate impact. Unlike Pettis who had alot questions about his ability to get off bump 'n' run and just being strong enough in general, Deebo is physically mature and is built more like RB. His ability against press-man is one of his strong-suits. And he plays with a physicality that is sorely lacking with the rest of our current group. That's one of the reasons I like both picks@WR for us in this draft. Both he and Hurd aren't finesse guys. They may be skilled route runners, but neither shys away from contact. They both are adapt at making tough grabs, in traffic and play with a certain physicality you want from your WR. That's why I'll be disappointed if Deebo isn't starting opposite Goodwin on September 8. Even over Pettis. Some may say that's alot of pressure to place on a rookie but he's a 2nd round pick for a reason. Even with Pettis having a year of experience over him, his skillset allows him to hit the ground running out of the gate. The biggest issue with him will be staying healthy unfortunately.

Edited by 757-NINER

8 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

When comes to Deebo, though he will be a rookie, one of the things I liked about him as a prospect is that I he should be able to come in right away an have a immediate impact. Unlike Pettis who had alot questions about his ability to get off bump 'n' run being strong enough in general, Deebo is physically mature and is built more like RB. His ability against press-man is one of his strong-suits. And he plays with a physicality that is sorely lacking with the rest of our current group. That's one of the reasons I like both picks@WR for us in this draft. Both he and Hurd aren't finesse guys. They may be skilled route runners, but neither shys away from contact. They both are adapt at making tough grabs, in traffic and play with a certain physicality you want from your WR. That's why I'll be disappointed if Deebo isn't starting opposite Goodwin on September 8. Even over Pettis. Some may say that's alot of pressure to place on a rookie but he's a 2nd round pick for a reason. Even with Pettis having a year of experience over him, his skillset allows him to hit the ground running out of the gate. The biggest issue with him will be staying healthy unfortunately.

Goodwin won't be the starter. Goodwin is a nice rotational piece that you throw in there because of his speed but Pettis and Samuel should be our starting receivers and probably will be health permitting. 

• Like 2