Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
J-ALL-DAY

Round 2, Pick 36: San Francisco 49ers Select WR Deebo Samuel, South Carolina

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Goodwin won't be the starter. Goodwin is a nice rotational piece that you throw in there because of his speed but Pettis and Samuel should be our starting receivers and probably will be health permitting. 

Agree to disagree. That "rotational peice" nearly put up a 1,000 yards two years ago with Beathard and Hoyer as his QB for 11 of those 16 games. IF he can stay healthy, he is will be starting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Agree to disagree. That "rotational peice" nearly put up a 1,000 yards two years ago with Beathard and Hoyer as his QB for 11 of those 16 games. IF he can stay healthy, he is will be starting.

Don't think so. Shanahan himself said he didn't anticipate Goodwin ever being in the role he ended up being in 2017. Maiocco mentioned how Shanahan prefers him to play around 15 or so snaps a game as a specialist, instead of being one of the featured WRs. 

Pettis and Samuel will be the starters with James/Taylor battling for the slot role. And when Goodwin comes in, you can shift Pettis inside as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Agree to disagree. That "rotational peice" nearly put up a 1,000 yards two years ago with Beathard and Hoyer as his QB for 11 of those 16 games. IF he can stay healthy, he is will be starting.

Definitely don't agree. Pettis is the starting X, Goodwin is the back up. As J said, Shanny pretty much came out and said that. Most people can attest I've been calling Goodwin a JAG for 2 years now, and that's what he is. A fast JAG, but he has a very specific role and that's pretty much it. 

He was the only capable wide receiver we had, the default number one when we got an actual competent quarterback in there, so of course he was getting the ball (about 400 of his 960 yards came in the last 5 games and over half of his receptions). Rod Streater had a very similar season in 2013 because the Raiders simply had nobody else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Definitely don't agree. Pettis is the starting X, Goodwin is the back up. As J said, Shanny pretty much came out and said that. Most people can attest I've been calling Goodwin a JAG for 2 years now, and that's what he is. A fast JAG, but he has a very specific role and that's pretty much it. 

He was the only capable wide receiver we had, the default number one when we got an actual competent quarterback in there, so of course he was getting the ball (about 400 of his 960 yards came in the last 5 games and over half of his receptions). Rod Streater had a very similar season in 2013 because the Raiders simply had nobody else. 

I think Goodwin is more than a JAG and really improved his route running, but the problem is he is banged up too much and is better suited for a specific role. When he was killing all our corners in one on one drills at training camp and just in the scrimmages, it showed it was more than just speed. But he's a guy who gets dinged up even a little will have a big drop off in his play.

Now, Pettis needs to prove he can stay healthy himself or else this will be a big problem. But yeah, Pettis/Samuel will be the starting outside WRs with James/Taylor in the slot. Will be interested in seeing how Shanny plans on using Hurd early on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2019 at 8:32 AM, 757-NINER said:

Just remember that at this same time a year ago most of us(I most definitely) were questioning the Pettis pick with alot of uncertainty with just how it was going to work out. Shanny has a plan for Hurd, just like he had a plan for Pettis. I'm not gonna worry about how it affects the roster right now. That will work itself out. What I do know is that Hurd brings something to the WR group no one else on the roster does. And that unique skillset and physical presence is something alot of us have been clamoring for so I'm eagerly anticipating him having a impact and making someone else on the roster expendable. That's what he was drafted to do...

Not I! Pettis and Warner were my favorite picks last year, perhaps in that order. Pettis was my favorite WR of 2018 draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Not I! Pettis and Warner were my favorite picks last year, perhaps in that order. Pettis was my favorite WR of 2018 draft.

Pettis was one of my favorites as well. His route running skills are just insane. Deebo is similar, but not as smooth but more physical. Our WRs are sort of like the Rams to be honest. Just very sharp route runners who have high IQs. Not one superstar but dudes that could get it done at a high level. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Pettis was one of my favorites as well. His route running skills are just insane. Deebo is similar, but not as smooth but more physical. Our WRs are sort of like the Rams to be honest. Just very sharp route runners who have high IQs. Not one superstar but dudes that could get it done at a high level. 

 

I forgot who tweeted this but they compared Deebo to Robert Woods. Almost the same size and similar numbers in college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Pettis was one of my favorites as well. His route running skills are just insane. Deebo is similar, but not as smooth but more physical. Our WRs are sort of like the Rams to be honest. Just very sharp route runners who have high IQs. Not one superstar but dudes that could get it done at a high level. 

 

I think you, me and Chris were the people who liked Pettis before the 49ers picked him last year. I'll admit that I was dreaming of Hollywood Brown this time around, but after him, I liked Deebo as much as anyone (along with Harry, Metcalf and Brown, I thought he was in the second tier of receivers), and in Kyle I trust when it comes to wideouts. I wonder if Kyle had Deebo first on his board, or would have taken Hollywood, if available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprisingly, Harry was our top rated receiver with Deebo number two per John Clayton. I knew Deebo was high, of course, but really didn't think Harry would have been our number one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forge said:

Surprisingly, Harry was our top rated receiver with Deebo number two per John Clayton. I knew Deebo was high, of course, but really didn't think Harry would have been our number one

Wow, that is actually very surprising tbh 

I guess shanny has realized that quick guys who run good routes but don't have size aren't the only guys who 'fit' his offense.

I think last year he realized that if he has guys with some size, they can be open even when they are covered they are still open. A lot of our WRs weren't getting separation last year. 

I wasn't a fan of harry, but just the fact we liked him shows some evolution with Kyle. It shows he's open to new ideas 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, N4L said:

Wow, that is actually very surprising tbh 

I guess shanny has realized that quick guys who run good routes but don't have size aren't the only guys who 'fit' his offense.

I think last year he realized that if he has guys with some size, they can be open even when they are covered they are still open. A lot of our WRs weren't getting separation last year. 

I wasn't a fan of harry, but just the fact we liked him shows some evolution with Kyle. It shows he's open to new ideas 

I dont think it has anything to do with Shanny having some revelation in terms of WR skillset. He covets what he has always coveted...guys who can get open. Pettis gets open. Harry gets open. Deebo gets open. Its not about speed, per say, its about separation. Those two dont always go hand and hand. I said during the whole draft process, Harry's ability to get in and out of his breaks was severely underrated. Just because you don't have long speed, doesn't mean you don't have the ability to separate in other ways. Being able to drop your weight, sink your hips while cutting and how you set-up routes off your stem are some of the ways guys who aren't bless with speed are able to separate. Harry does those things extremely well. Deebo does those things extremely well. They're very similar WRs if you think about it. Harry is just a bigger version of Samuel so it makes sense those two were at the top of his list. Once the Pats took Harry, I was hoping for either Butler or Deebo. 

I think ppl have this misconception that Shanny only wants speed and quickness at the position. Those things are definitely important to him in certain respects. But I think he is more concerned that players can separate as a whole, more so than how it is they separate. Going back to his ATL days, Sanu was a vital peice to the passing game. Sure Julio was the star but the way he used Sanu shows that its not just about speed with him.

Edited by 757-NINER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Forge said:

Surprisingly, Harry was our top rated receiver with Deebo number two per John Clayton. I knew Deebo was high, of course, but really didn't think Harry would have been our number one

I'm starting to think Shanahan and Belichek share notes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I'm starting to think Shanahan and Belichek share notes. 

More like belichek copies Kyle's homework lol 

 

How do you think Bill was able to hold the Rams to three points in the Superbowl? Mcvay runs Kyle's offense 

Edited by N4L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deebo sounds like such a humble guy in that interview with Maiocco. 

But you know he has to be tired of continuing to be asked about his nickname lol.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×