Grade?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Hurney was trying to trade up at 21 last night to try and get Little. We gave up 77. The next pick, Buffalo traded up by giving up 158... wtf is Hurney thinking? Awful trade. I guess the pick is fine though. I guess Moton will probably wind up at LG and could kick back to RT if Daryl Williams runs off in free agency.

4 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

Buffalo traded the 158th pick to move up two spots from 40 to 38.

Panthers moved up 10 spots. Not saying it was necessarily the best idea, just saying that’s a legitimate difference.

Feels like trading our comp 3rd (you can do that now I think?) would've been more reasonable. Not that big of a deal IMO. Only thing would be if we could've landed a day 1 starter at safety, based on how the guy from Florida is falling it seems like those are all gone anyway.

14 minutes ago, James said:

Feels like trading our comp 3rd (you can do that now I think?) would've been more reasonable. Not that big of a deal IMO. Only thing would be if we could've landed a day 1 starter at safety, based on how the guy from Florida is falling it seems like those are all gone anyway.

Yeah, you can trade comp picks now.

I think this was a good pick.  It sucks we had to trade one of our thirds, but you have to spend extra capital to get top-ranked OL these days.  Its either we trade away a 3rd now or spend a 1st a year from now because we didn't plan ahead.  We saw what happened before and after our pick - teams started trading up left and right to gobble up the remaining lineman.   

I have my concerns about him, but I think he's a lot better than people give him credit for.  From what I've seen, I'm expecting him to start off as a lot better in pass protection than run blocking where he underwhelmed me the most (I liked him in pass protection for the most part; the Alabama game is a good example where he does very well in pass protection but is lackluster in run blocking/pulling), but I'm cool with that considering the #1 goal is protecting Cam and C-Mac is going to put in work no matter what.  But hopefully with Matsko, he can improve in that regard.

Despite all of our issues with the OL over the years, we have done a great job developing guys we've drafted or signed as UDFAs over the last 5 or so years.  Turner, Norwell, Williams, Moton, Larsen... hell even Remmers and Bell were adequate enough for us at RT, especially for UDFAs.  And there's also Van Roten, he was serviceable for a lot of the season last year.  The main issues with the OL have been a complete lack of investment in a LT (until now, unless you count Matt Kalil lol), not much he can do there.  So if there is one OL coach who has earned my trust in developing a talented but somewhat mechanically flawed OT, it's Matsko.  

Interested in seeing if they try to get him into the starting line-up this year.  I'm not sure which one of them they would want to slide to guard.  I'm guessing Moton, considering IIRC that was the plan before the Williams injury last year, but he was outstanding at RT last year.  Not sure you'd want to mess that up.  However, a Little (or maybe Williams) - Moton - Paradis - Turner - Williams (or Little) would, on paper, be one of the best OLs in football even if Little was only serviceable.  

Edited by iknowcool