Pick is in, #40 - CB Trayvon Mullen

RaidersAreOne

I watched him a bit last night and he's definitely a physical press-man corner who fits the scheme. He's a very good tackler and willing and able to make plays on ballcarriers when they come his way. Despite him being tall, he's pretty short-armed and he has some trouble keeping up with breaks at the top of routes. We'll see with him. He might not start right away over Worley but I think he could definitely win a starting role before the end of the season. I'm fine with the pick.

This is a C pick for me. I like the trade down, but Mullens doesn't help them this year. He's a developmental CB and CB wasn't a huge need IMO. Greedy is a better coverage corner, though I understand why they shied away.

Team is still lacking at DE and LB and we're past the "day 1 starter" type picks. I would have liked to add another pass rusher before a developmental CB.

• Like 1

I like him in our scheme a lot and I think he can contribute early if needed. Good size, good speed, good cover skills (no allowed TD in college).

We needed to add speed and size to our CB room and we did that here.

On 4/27/2019 at 8:22 AM, big_palooka said:

This is a C pick for me. I like the trade down, but Mullens doesn't help them this year. He's a developmental CB and CB wasn't a huge need IMO. Greedy is a better coverage corner, though I understand why they shied away.

Team is still lacking at DE and LB and we're past the "day 1 starter" type picks. I would have liked to add another pass rusher before a developmental CB.

This pick is my least favorite in the draft. But I still get why they made it. I think he has enough (HWS, started for a top team, had his biggest games against the best competition) that you can gamble and hit it out of the park. I'm trusting that the whole staff sat down with Mayock and said "this kid is a perfect scheme fit, we'll show him the ropes".

Per the athletic article from Vic, Guenther described Mullen as the "cleanest" corner prospect, which either refers to his technique, or the fact that he checks all the boxes. I think it's the 2nd, but he's never looked grabby in coverage to me, which you do tend to see with some of the corner prospects every year.

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Per the athletic article from Vic, Guenther described Mullen as the "cleanest" corner prospect, which either refers to his technique, or the fact that he checks all the boxes. I think it's the 2nd, but he's never looked grabby in coverage to me, which you do tend to see with some of the corner prospects every year.

Mullens only allowed 51 receptions for 498 yards in 1,500 career snaps at Clemon, never allowed a TD, and is a dog in run support. He's probably going to start on the outside next year. Worley is okay but we needed help at CB. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Mullens only allowed 51 receptions for 498 yards in 1,500 career snaps at Clemon, never allowed a TD, and is a dog in run support. He's probably going to start on the outside next year. Worley is okay but we needed help at CB. 

I agree. I'm glad we added an infusion of talent at CB. Nelson also looked out of his element last year, but maybe he will surprise and turn into something as well.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

PFFs 160th rated overall player though.... so this doesn't add up

• Like 1