2[44]: Elgton Jenkins [OC; Miss State]

Packerraymond

48 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm looking more at the structure of the deals.  If we release Lane Taylor after next year, the Packers save roughly $4.7M.  If we release Billy Turner, we save less than $1M.   Unless Billy Turner absolutely flops or Lane Taylor absolutely kills it, Lane Taylor is likely the cap casualty in 2020.  Saving $4M (after you factor in a replacement for the top 51) isn't chump change.

You are absolutely right, no question about your perspective there. 

Hopefully they both play great, so well that Gute doesn't need to cap-hit either of them.  And ideally Turner ends up being an excellent player and a bargain starter at RT for years, while Taylor and Jenkins being an excellent and relatively low-priced guard tandem for years.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, he lined up against the 3rd pick this year and for the most part held his own.

Just looked at some of his tape.  He plays too high.  He'll need to be coached up all I am saying.  Thought he would be a day 1 starter but if he doesn't correct his technique he may be backing up to start the season.  Just an observation.  As MM used to say pad level.  Kid is strong that is obvious but against NFL DT's he'll have to clean it up.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Because he's an IOL.  It's not a sexy pick.  He's not a LT, he's not a pass rusher, etc.  There's nothing that gets you excited about him.  He can be a fantastic player, but he's an unsexy player.

i get that, but for an IOL he is pretty damn sexy IMO.  i'm glad we got a guy that seems to be what lafleur wants for his IOL, and performed at a pretty high level in the SEC.

40 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Locked on Packers podcast mentioned that Pauline said Jenkins was being considered by the Packers as a First Round pick at the Senior Bowl. FWIW

That 30th pick option afforded them a lot of latitude in their talent evals and potential selections.

I'm not a huge stickler on "draft position value" and the "Dont you dare over draft a guy....." concept.

If a player works for you - and the possibility exists he may not be there next time you come around - and the talent drop is such that whats left, while good isnt a perfect fit like this guy..............draft him.

• Like 1

McGinn:

Elgton Jenkins, G, Mississippi State (7, 8): The Packers don’t discuss these matters but you can bet Gutekunst and his people have been debating the merits of Jenkins (6-4 ½, 311, 5.10) and Texas A&M’s McCoy (6-4, 305, 4.87) since fall.

Of his 34 starts, Jenkins made 26 at center the past two seasons plus five at left tackle, two at left guard and one at right guard in 2015-’16. Of McCoy’s 38 starts, 36 were at center and two at guard.

“McCoy would have a hard time playing guard early,” said the scout that preferred Jenkins. “This guy (Jenkins) can play guard and center. We saw McCoy as more of a center. McCoy tested better, had a better off-season, interviews, smart. Jenkins is just a mauler. Country. He’ll upgrade them at guard.”

In fact, the scout said he expected Jenkins to give Green Bay the kind of physical guard with some athletic tools that it’s been without since the departures of Josh Sitton (6-3 ½, 319, 5.20) and T.J. Lang (6-4, 312, 5.21).

“That’s a really good pick,” he said. “He’s not ideal outside zone but I think he’s athletic enough to do it. I had a higher grade on Jenkins than Samia, but they were really close.”

Edited by Arthur Penske

• 2 weeks later...

From 247 sports:

“I think he’ll do well,” Mississippi State offensive line coach Marcus Johnson said. “I think he’s able to handle those athletic three-techniques on his own because of his foot speed and quickness but he’s got a great ability to anchor vs. power guys. As an O-line coach, it was awesome to watch him go against Jeffrey Simmons. Jeffrey is as good as it got at the collegiate level. It was fun to watch those two battle it out every day and Elgton held his own.
I’ve seen Jeffrey freaking rag-doll and sling centers and guards around when rushing the passer. Against Elgton, he would try to club or use other moves but Elgton’s great with his hands. His hands are so strong. He’d fit his hands in there and he would be able to ****** himself back in front of Jeffrey, which was very impressive in one-on-one pass rush throughout the course of the season.”

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

The more I think of it, the more I think Jenkins has a great chance to succeed. Even if Taylor and Turner are solid, not spectacular, their presence gives Jenkins a reasonable amount of time to grow into the NFL game. If all pans out, this may be the best pick of this particular draft.

• Like 1

Jenkins was drafted with a reasonably high pick at a position of long term need.  If that's not giving him a great chance to succeed, I don't know what is.  Spriggs was in the same position when he was drafted.  Being in position to succeed is great, but I'll temper my expectations until I see good things at the NFL level.

• Like 2