2[44]: Elgton Jenkins [OC; Miss State]

Packerraymond

Serious question...

Who is the last GB packer Interior Offensive lineman to be picked in the first or second round who did not start in his first year?  Heck throw in round 3 in there, too.

...because I have no idea.  I think if GB drafts you high, and you are an interior player, you are gonna start.

I hope Lane Taylor stays on the roster as valuable insurance.  But I think the future is now for Jenkins.

This guy is the total package. It’s crazy how good he could be… He’s a five-tool player (BB reference) and could be a pro bowler his rookie season.

Going back to the draft, I didn’t initially like the pick. Truthfully, I didn’t know who he was. After some due diligence, I thought the pick was OK… Now, I drank all the cool aid, the entire five-gallon bucket. I’ll be surprised if he isn’t an immediate game one, top player.

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Serious question...

Who is the last GB packer Interior Offensive lineman to be picked in the first or second round who did not start in his first year?  Heck throw in round 3 in there, too.

...because I have no idea.  I think if GB drafts you high, and you are an interior player, you are gonna start.

I hope Lane Taylor stays on the roster as valuable insurance.  But I think the future is now for Jenkins.

I don't think the sample size is big enough to stablish any trend.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1970&year_max=2019&draft_round_min=1&draft_round_max=3&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&pick_type=overall&team_id=gnb&pos[]=t&pos[]=g&pos[]=c&pos[]=ol&conference=any&show=all&order_by=default

Maybe some of those Ts ended up playing inside (I don't know many of those names) but it's still too few players and across different scouting teams, coaches and GMs.

This pick was not liked by a large percentile of arm chair coaches and Madden devotee's on this very site.   This pick could end up one of the teams best in recent years, certainly solid at this point. 

I would think Lane Taylor would have trade value, and might really excel in another scheme.  Question is, could Taylor play right tackle for us now if needed and next year?

4 minutes ago, 15412 said:

This pick was not liked by a large percentile of arm chair coaches and Madden devotee's on this very site.   This pick could end up one of the teams best in recent years, certainly solid at this point. 

I would think Lane Taylor would have trade value, and might really excel in another scheme.  Question is, could Taylor play right tackle for us now if needed and next year?

No one hated the player. The hate is for drafting an IOL in round 2. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Donzo said:

This guy is the total package. It’s crazy how good he could be… He’s a five-tool player (BB reference) and could be a pro bowler his rookie season.

Going back to the draft, I didn’t initially like the pick. Truthfully, I didn’t know who he was. After some due diligence, I thought the pick was OK… Now, I drank all the cool aid, the entire five-gallon bucket. I’ll be surprised if he isn’t an immediate game one, top player.

Has he really been this good? I haven't seen any of training camp. I sure hope he turns out great.

My other, bigger question is has he been practicing at LG? We keep talking about replacing Taylor with him, but he didn't play there at all against HOU and only played a couple games there in college. From the sounds of it, Turner is entrenched at RG (maybe an outside possibility of replacing Bulaga at RT) so not likely to slide over. I've been under the impression that Jenkins has mostly been playing C and RG in camp, but I could well be mistaken.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Serious question...

Wasn't the plan for Daryn Colledge to be tne backup LT his rookie year behind Chad Clifton, but injuries and ineffectiveness pushed him into the LG spot?  And you're here sitting with the assumption that all the OL stay healthy.  The odds of that happening are slim.  Someone's going to miss time.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 15412 said:

I'm waiting to make an opinion until we get to see him going up against startling-caliber DL.  And I'm generally of the belief that drafting IOL early isn't a smart endeavor.    As for Lane Taylor, he's a pure OG.  He doesn't have the feet to play tackle.  Billy Turner probably gets kicked out to RT if Bulaga gets hurt, and Jenkins slides into RG.

9 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Has he really been this good? I haven't seen any of training camp. I sure hope he turns out great.

My other, bigger question is has he been practicing at LG? We keep talking about replacing Taylor with him, but he didn't play there at all against HOU and only played a couple games there in college. From the sounds of it, Turner is entrenched at RG (maybe an outside possibility of replacing Bulaga at RT) so not likely to slide over. I've been under the impression that Jenkins has mostly been playing C and RG in camp, but I could well be mistaken.

LG would be Jenkins spot... From what  understand, he's been excellent in camp.

Physically, he's a monster. Top length, strength and quickness. Also suppose to be intelligent... He just completely dwarfs Talylor here... It's like Taylor is Bruce Banner, and Jenkins is the Hulk. 

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'm waiting to make an opinion until we get to see him going up against startling-caliber DL.  And I'm generally of the belief that drafting IOL early isn't a smart endeavor.    As for Lane Taylor, he's a pure OG.  He doesn't have the feet to play tackle.  Billy Turner probably gets kicked out to RT if Bulaga gets hurt, and Jenkins slides into RG.

Geeeeeee....I'm surprised the "superstition folks" havent assailed you for mentioning possible player injury! Perhaps the Board has been cured and these false delusions have been vanquished from this cyberspace? :)

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Wasn't the plan for Daryn Colledge to be tne backup LT his rookie year behind Chad Clifton, but injuries and ineffectiveness pushed him into the LG spot?  And you're here sitting with the assumption that all the OL stay healthy.  The odds of that happening are slim.  Someone's going to miss time.

Boy.  Good name with Colledge, even better for the spelling!

Going from memory....didn't we lose a guard and needed a guard, so in typical fashion at that time, we took a college LT to play guard?

I'm firmly in the camp of loving having the o-line depth that we have right now.  If Jenkins beats out Taylor, I still want Taylor on the roster.  He's valuable.