2[44]: Elgton Jenkins [OC; Miss State]

Packerraymond

8 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

via PackersWire

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/20/packers-rookie-elgton-jenkins-hasnt-allowed-a-pressure-this-preseason/

according to Pro Football Focus, Jenkins has the top pass-blocking grade in the NFL among offensive linemen with at least 40 snaps, and he’s yet to allow a single pressure over 45 total pass-blocking snaps. The rookie has played snaps at left guard, center and right guard and hasn’t been beat in the passing game.

Two preseason games isn’t a big enough sample size to make any grand claims about Jenkins’ future, but his early success does suggest a foundation of talent"

He allowed at least one pressure against the Texans on a blown stunt.

He also had two holds, one in pass protection.

Let's settle this down. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Let's settle this down. 

Co-signed. The only time I've heard his name discussed was when he got flagged twice in the Baltimore game...really badly...

Oh I don't know. On the heels of Spriggs, Jones, Biegel, Randall, Rollins, Montgomery, Dix, Thornton, etc etc, I am pretty excited to see a probable 10 year starter with hints of Pro-Bowl potential at pick 44 in his rookie year - in preseason no less. Kind of refreshing actually. Beats the hell out of the usual "maybe in 3 years he pans out" crap

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Oh I don't know. On the heels of Spriggs, Jones, Biegel, Randall, Rollins, Montgomery, Dix, Thornton, etc etc, I am pretty excited to see a probable 10 year starter with hints of Pro-Bowl potential at pick 44 in his rookie year - in preseason no less. Kind of refreshing actually. Beats the hell out of the usual "maybe in 3 years he pans out" crap

You're failing to accurately recall the early hype around here regarding Jones, Randall, Rollins, and probably Clinton-Dix. 

If they can walk and chew gum at the same time, this fanbase thinks they're a future pro bowler in the guy's first preseason. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Let's settle this down. 

LaFleur came right out and said one of the holds was miscalled on him. Meant to be called on a different OL.

Jenkins is legit and he's ready to start IMO. I don't think you have to cool your hype on a guard. If they can play, they can play.

• Like 1

Jenkins is ready to start. Now. However, he’s a rookie. It’s a long, long season. It won’t hurt him to get a couple extra weeks of mind and body preparation before he hits the field. Taylor is a quality dude. Just as good RIGHT NOW as rookie Jenkins. 

An injury WILL happen. Jenkins will get his chance this year. He’s only going to benefit from a shortened season in his rookie year. No rush. It will happen organically. 

But yes, Injury aside, Jenkins is about as sure of a bet to be a 10 year starter as we’ve seen since Sitton.

Edited by boratt
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're failing to accurately recall the early hype around here regarding Jones, Randall, Rollins, and probably Clinton-Dix. 

If they can walk and chew gum at the same time, this fanbase thinks they're a future pro bowler in the guy's first preseason. 

Haha, I love how AG20 is super young but already a "get off my lawn" grumpy old man.

Image result for gran torino gif

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, boratt said:

Jenkins is ready to start. Now. However, he’s a rookie. It’s a long, long season. It won’t hurt him to get a couple extra weeks of mind and body preparation before he hits the field. Taylor is a quality dude. Just as good RIGHT NOW as rookie Jenkins. 

An injury WILL happen. Jenkins will get his chance this year. He’s only going to benefit from a shortened season in his rookie year. No rush. It will happen organically. 

But yes, Injury aside, Jenkins is about as sure of a bet to be a 10 year starter as we’ve seen since Sitton.

This is why they brought in Billy Turner as well. He thrived under being thrown to the dogs at multiple positions along the OL. His time here should be a lot less stressful than in Denver, which one would think would benefit him.

Just now, cannondale said:

Jenkins will back up both guard spots and maybe the center spot as well. He'll be first off the bench when part of Bulaga's duct tape falls off

And rookies who have to grind for the combine then grind through learning a new scheme and adjusting to camp and grind through adjusting to new people around them and grind through living in a new city.

Look, i think Jenkins is a thug and a beast. He’s smart and a pro and a man. But it’s good for him to get eased in. His time will come. 

20 minutes ago, boratt said:

And rookies who have to grind for the combine then grind through learning a new scheme and adjusting to camp and grind through adjusting to new people around them and grind through living in a new city.

Look, i think Jenkins is a thug and a beast. He’s smart and a pro and a man. But it’s good for him to get eased in. His time will come. 

erm...

11 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

LaFleur came right out and said one of the holds was miscalled on him. Meant to be called on a different OL.

Jenkins is legit and he's ready to start IMO. I don't think you have to cool your hype on a guard. If they can play, they can play.

Yeah, I thought I heard something where one of the holds against Jenkins was mis-called.  For now at least he looks like a solid pick.

That being said, Taylor is fine as the starter.  An OL Injury will have Jenkins in the starting lineup soon enough, whether we want it or not.

Edited by Mazrimiv

On 8/21/2019 at 12:44 AM, cannondale said:

I don’t understand your point about the players you listed, but agree on Jenkins. He’s a beast. 

For the general process of the draft, 2016 was a good year. So, it’s illogical to only single out Spriggs. The Packers’ draft/rookie class of 2016 of Clark, Martinez, Allison, Lowrey, Frack and Davis is a fine group of players. For some of the other players you mentioned, Ha Ha and Monty had pretty good stints their first three years. Their rookie seasons were promising.

All in all, Jenkins flashing top end ability is nothing new to the recent Packer camps. Just last year Jaire’s pub was stronger than what Jenkins is getting now. The year before that, Jones was a sensation. Rodgers was leading the parade. Before that, I remember Clark and Martinez getting a bunch of early love as well.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:47 PM, Joe said:

Co-signed. The only time I've heard his name discussed was when he got flagged twice in the Baltimore game...really badly...

What?

I don’t see how you came up with that. First, Jenkins only had the one penalty. The other call was an identification error by the ref. So, I don’t know how you could classify the penalties as “really badly”, when one of the two penalties was a phantom call.

In short, Jenkins is a premiere prospect and was excellent his first two preseason games. But, if you’re looking for perfection, you’ll be disappointed.