With the 50th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Irv Smith Jr., TE - Alabama

SemperFeist

Kyle Rudolph said on Friday night that it’s “awesome” that the team added Smith because offensive assistant Gary Kubiak’s past offenses have featured “a lot of guys who can play at a high level while using multiple tight-end sets.” Rudolph also said that he’s aware of the speculation about the possibility of the Vikings moving on for cap reasons.

Rudolph: “This is part of the NFL, younger guys coming in,  But I truly believe my best football is still ahead of me. Whether it’s here or not, that’s not my decision. But I do know the football I have left in me, and that’s all I can control.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/26/kyle-rudolph-awesome-we-drafted-irv-smith-jr/

Overview

Smith is still green in terms of overall experience, which shows up in run-blocking and route-running, but he has plenty of talent and is likely to get much better in both areas. He has combination tight end talent but really flashes as a move blocker at fullback or wingback spots. His buildup speed sets him apart as a big, field-stretching option and once he gets rolling after the catch. O.J. Howard was bigger, and a better athlete, but like Howard, Smith offers Pro Bowl potential as a well-rounded tight end prospect.

Strengths

• Decent hand placement as in-line blocker
  • Good footwork to reach and secure the edge
  • Fluid and rhythmic with his timing up to second-level targets
  • Effective lead blocker as an H-back or fullback
  • Speed to create immediate strain in the seam or downfield
  • Might be too much for linebackers to handle in man
  • Extensive collection of routes took him to all areas of the field
  • Good route strength pushing through the contact
  • Offers sturdy target in the middle of the field
  • Can post up tight coverage out of his breaks
  • Hand strength to secure contested catches
  • Able to elevate and compete in-air
  • Drags tacklers for additional yards after catch

Weaknesses

• Needs to add mass and upper-body strength for blocking duties
  • Doesn't always block with consistent effort and strain
  • Can overstep his landmark as run blocker
  • Needs to play faster more consistently
  • Rounded routes allow coverage shortcuts to catch point
  • Feet are a little heavy getting into breaks, causing delays to open
  • Rarely works back to the throw
  • Not a natural hands catcher and fights the football
  • Slows way down when turning to find football
  • Lacks short-area wiggle for quick catch and run

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/irv-smith?id=3219534d-4900-0018-f675-8c060d792d35

A simple model would only look at his weight and 40-yard dash and conclude that his athletic profile was positive, and simplicity may be better. In fact, weight-adjusted 40-yard dash beats SPARQ outright in predicting tight end outcomes. But tight ends that have done well in the NFL, historically, have run faster than 2.73 seconds in the 20-yard split, jumped higher than 33 inches in the vertical leap and ran quicker than 7.30 seconds in the three-cone drill.

Smith just barely missed out on all three, running 2.74 seconds in the 20-yard split, 32.5 inches in the vertical and 7.32 seconds in the three-cone. With a slightly different set of data to construct the model, Smith may look like an athletic success instead of a risk. But, it’s also worth outlining that while Smith may have barely missed the cutoffs, he missed multiple cutoffs, not just one.

Essentially, it’s up to your judgement whether or not a half-inch in the vertical, and 0.03 combined seconds in two drills can sway your mind, especially for a player that didn’t run a second set of drills at his Pro Day to improve his times.

https://theathletic.com/949106/2019/04/27/irv-smith-jr-and-alexander-mattison-what-the-data-says-about-vikings-picks/

5 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Kinda feel that’s on you if you’ve never heard of the starting tight end for the university of Alabama. 

Well...that would require that I watch college football...which isn't really football that I recognize these days.  Anyway, I don't think I recall anyone on this forum talking about him...which is basically how I receive my information about college players.