With the 50th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Irv Smith Jr., TE - Alabama

SemperFeist

Honestly, as I stated prior to the draft, I wasn't a big Irv Smith guy.  He wasn't my ideal pick at TE for the Vikings, but I'm sure he'll be fine, especially, since it's pretty good value for where they got him.  Let's hope Cuz loves him like he did Jordan Reed! 

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

Honestly, as I stated prior to the draft, I wasn't a big Irv Smith guy.  He wasn't my ideal pick at TE for the Vikings, but I'm sure he'll be fine, especially, since it's pretty good value for where they got him.  Let's hope Cuz loves him like he did Jordan Reed! 

I like him better than Fant, he might easily be the second best TE in the draft

• 2 weeks later...

Zimmer: “A lot of times — not so much for Alabama — these guys line up as wide receivers in college and that’s always a bigger adjustment. We’re fortunate enough that Irv was able to line up in a normal tight end spot, he lined up in the backfield, he lined up wide as well. I think his transition will probably be a little bit quicker.”

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/05/a-rudolph-trade-would-be-risky-for-vikings/

• 5 months later...

Heading into Sunday’s games, PFF had Smith graded as the 13th best tight end in the NFL this year, which is a remarkable accomplishment for a rookie at a very difficult position for young players. He’s been everything the Vikings hoped, creating big plays (10 first downs on 15 catches) and establishing himself as a solid blocker (13th ranked blocker).

From an X’s and O’s perspective, the Vikings have been able to use Smith in two TE sets to manipulate defenses into bringing in base personnel packages with three linebackers, which has created mismatches and brought extra defenders into the box, setting up explosive play-action plays downfield to Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs. The sheer presence of Smith has made the Vikings more unpredictable because he can block, create yards after catch on short passes and run intermediate routes effectively.

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/10/assessing-the-vikings-2019-draft-at-the-midway-point/

• Like 2

On 4/30/2019 at 4:13 PM, HeydudemanG said:

I like him better than Fant, he might easily be the second best TE in the draft

The book isn't written all the way, but it looks like you were right to like Smith over Fant. Maybe Fant will turn it around at some point but I am sure glad the Vikings aren't the team that has to be hoping for that.

39 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I still want to see those screens that go to Rudolph go to Smith.

The problem that I have with that is that Kubiak's offenses emphasizes in-line TEs for the zone blocking he runs. Smith has been better than expected but it will take time for the Vikings to make changes accordingly. Offseason preparations were to get Rudolph ready for this. Timing is very important to successful screen execution. I do hope they are working on that with Smith in practice because I agree with you that Smith is more exciting with the ball in his hands than Rudolph.

When Smith is on the backside he only needs to be able to cut the defender; he is able to do this.  But when he is playside the blocking assignment takes a bit more strength. It looks like Smith can handle this but it takes time for that confidence to be built and coaches to adjust to that. Rookie TEs have a lot of learning. Smith has been doing very well with that, especially when compared to Fant.

Overall, I am happy with how the coaches are bringing Smith along. It will be exciting when he starts getting the screens that Rudolph has been getting.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I still want to see those screens that go to Rudolph go to Smith.

Smith has a 9,238,928x better chance at breaking a tackle and running faster than 3.98 mph after the catch.

He likely will next year, but as of right now, it appears that he's not ready to do so yet, because he doesn't have the patience that is required on the screen.  

4 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Irv was the guy I wanted when the Vikings were on the clock. I was stoked when they took him, and he's already looking like a stud. 

I know that there was a lot of criticism of the pick at the time because we had Rudolph, but the value there was just too good. 

Smith really plays a position that is unique to Rudolph’s, they have a different skill set. My concern is with Rudolph being on the roster when even last year, it seems he was pretty much done. I like Smith at his current spot and I’m sure he will be a top 3 target for Cousins, which makes Rudolph’s spot somewhat irrelevant in the passing game. Just find a guy who can block and we should be okay.

Edited by vikingsrule

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Smith really plays a position that is unique to Rudolph’s, they have a different skill set. My concern is with Rudolph being on the roster when even last year, it seems he was pretty much done. I like Smith at his current spot and I’m sure he will be a top 3 target for Cousins, which makes Rudolph’s spot somewhat irrelevant in the passing game. 

i think Rudolph might have been kept on mainly for his leadership and locker room cohesion ability. next year it's time for Irv to shine.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Irv Smith has had a rocky start to his comeback campaign. He dropped a wide-open pass that could have gone for a touchdown and changed the complexion of Minnesota’s Week 2 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. The drop has remained at the forefront of many fans’ minds when thinking of Smith, who is playing on the final year of his rookie contract and could reach free agency in the offseason.

Before the start of the season, Smith said he has “no clue” of any contract talks with the new regime under first-year general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah. The recent signing of veteran tight end Jacob Hollister puts Smith’s future with the franchise into question as well. Heavy Sports’ senior NFL reporter Matt Lombardo spoke with a league source who addressed the Hollister signing and what it means in Minnesota.

Hollister, 28, boasts 83 receptions for 707 yards and seven touchdowns in five seasons as a pro. That’s more than any member of the Vikings tight end group, including Smith, who hasn’t had as strong of a hold on his spot on the offense as expected.

Lombardo: “I’m not sure Hollister is going to replace Smith. But he definitely has the chance to get involved in and be really productive in that offense. Viewed through the scope of adding a complementary tight end to Smith, who has caught all 7 of his career touchdowns inside the red zone, and Hollister certainly adds significant upside to the Vikings’ passing game and could prove a dramatic upgrade inside the 20-yard line.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/irv-smith-jacob-hollister-nfl-news/?fbclid=IwAR3dGACON7iKPW9oB6BraERs8JrNUnYlIy8LvZrvpftAsf2QW6zCcvgUx1o

I remember back when Smith was drafted and there were arguments with Packers fans about which team drafted the better TE. It looks like Smith was a better TE than the one the Packers drafted, but really both teams look to have lost. At this point, neither TE has lived up to their draft position.

At least Smith is still on the Vikings and has a small amount of time left to live up to his draft position. He has a fair amount of work to do. Here's to hoping he makes the best of the rest of the last year of his rookie contract.