With the 50th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Irv Smith Jr., TE - Alabama

SemperFeist

Well I was hoping this kid would've lasted until our 5th. The Vikings always seem to end up with RBs that I like. Chester Taylor, AD, Cook, Murray and now this kid. Yeah he might've been a reach but he's gonna be a solid #2 for you guys, and how could you not root for him after seeing that video!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Well I was hoping this kid would've lasted until our 5th. The Vikings always seem to end up with RBs that I like. Chester Taylor, AD, Cook, Murray and now this kid. Yeah he might've been a reach but he's gonna be a solid #2 for you guys, and how could you not root for him after seeing that video!

I think your in the wrong thread hoss. 

Honestly, Irv is my fav pick from the whole Vikings draft. I think he is gonna be a real mismatch & will make a big impact on this team. Love the pick!

And idk how i feel about him wearing #84. It looks good, i just feel like they should retire that number.

17 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

Honestly, Irv is my fav pick from the whole Vikings draft. I think he is gonna be a real mismatch & will make a big impact on this team. Love the pick!

And idk how i feel about him wearing #84. It looks good, i just feel like they should retire that number.

Randal McDaniel deserves his number retired before Moss who quit on the Vikings twice. I think the Ring of Honor is enough to let the player know what they meant to the organization.

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

Randal McDaniel deserves his number retired before Moss who quit on the Vikings twice. I think the Ring of Honor is enough to let the player know what they meant to the organization.

I was thinking about him too.

The reality is, we probably won't see (m)any more numbers retired, just due to the numbers teams need to have available for position groups. If the NFL makes a change to let WRs wear single digits, then I could see 84 retired. Until then, I don't see it happening.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 12:10 PM, Heimdallr said:

I really hope we keep Rudolph and we see a lot of 2TE looks this year. 

While this is technically a Stefanski offense, running multiple TEs has been a big part of the Kubiak offense over the years.

Take this, from 2016: https://www.milehighreport.com/2016/6/2/11827692/the-kubiak-offense

The average number of total targets in the Kubiak offense is 525 (on average there are 15 throw-aways per year - no receiver is targeted on a throw-away). So if we have 525 targets next season and we have an "average year" for a Kubiak offense we will have this breakdown in terms of targets by position group

WRs - 289 targets (55%)
TEs - 120 targets (23%)

RBs - 79 targets (15%)
FBs - 37 targets (7%)

Taking that a step further, the article mentions how WR1/2 get about 80% of the WR targets, meaning WR3/4/5/6 are between the RBs and FBs in terms of target share.

Edited by Klomp
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Klomp said:

While this is technically a Stefanski offense, running multiple TEs has been a big part of the Kubiak offense over the years.

Take this, from 2016: https://www.milehighreport.com/2016/6/2/11827692/the-kubiak-offense

The average number of total targets in the Kubiak offense is 525 (on average there are 15 throw-aways per year - no receiver is targeted on a throw-away). So if we have 525 targets next season and we have an "average year" for a Kubiak offense we will have this breakdown in terms of targets by position group

WRs - 289 targets (55%)
TEs - 120 targets (23%)

RBs - 79 targets (15%)
FBs - 37 targets (7%)

Taking that a step further, the article mentions how WR1/2 get about 80% of the WR targets, meaning WR3/4/5/6 are between the RBs and FBs in terms of target share.

Now compare that to what we had last year with the Vikings

WRs - 396/592 (67%)
TEs - 95/592 (16%)
RBs - 84/592 (14%)
FBs - 15/592 (3%)

Additionally, Thielen and Diggs got 51% of the targets last year, while the other WRs got one target fewer than the TEs. Finally, Treadwell's 35 receptions last year would tie for the second most by a Kubiak WR3 from 1995-2015.

• Like 1

The Vikings 12 picks during this year’s NFL Draft led all teams and set a franchise record for the most in a seven-round draft.

Of those 12 selections, which player was the highest value for where he was grabbed? ESPN Media analyst Todd McShay recently highlighted his “top value pick” for all 32 NFL teams, highlighting tight end Irv Smith, Jr., for Minnesota. He wrote:

"I really love that Minnesota identified offensive line as a huge problem and attacked it with three picks for the unit in the first six rounds. It was a priority. But that didn’t stop the Vikings from getting a real matchup nightmare in the second round. Kirk Cousins likes to throw underneath and check down, so expect Smith to get plenty of work as a rookie. The run-heavy offense will set up the play-action, and Smith will be there waiting to rip off big plays"

"Smith can separate vertically or pick up chunks after the catch with his speed and athleticism. His ball skills are above average, and he accelerates out of the catch very well. His blocking is improving, but Smith’s value comes in his ability to create mismatches and take advantage"

https://www.vikings.com/news/lunchbreak-espn-s-todd-mcshay-lists-top-value-pick-for-every-nfl-team?sf211797856=1

• Like 1

His dad wore 82 i believe and he wore 82 at Bama. Im sure thats the number he wants, and who knows it could come open soon if Rudolph does get traded or cut. Sometimes players change numbers. I believe a few players recently did (Boone, Badet, Aruna)

I think Irv Smith has a lot of similarities to Delanie Walker. Also, you would think for his height and size that he's not a good blocker, but that's not the case. He loves to get into it and has really strong technique. I'm excited for this pick!

Irv Smith profile

Combine Results
 Pro Day Results
Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6023
Weight: 242

PD3X AKA "Official"
40 Yard Dash (ET):
40 Yard Dash (HH): 4.59
20 Yard (ET): 2.74
20 Yard (HH): 2.64
10 Yard (ET): 1.68