Pick 51 Titans Select AJ Brown

615finest

I like this pic a lot. I am just hesitant to drink some of the koolaid. There are about 4-5 guys I'm a counting on more than AJ Brown this year and that is no knock on him. Corey, Adam, Delanie, Taywan, and Jonnu should all be ahead of him in the pecking order. Specifically taywan. I think he is a pretty good wr who could break out in year 3 with consistent qb play. hell, this entire offense should explode with consistent qb play. Taywan going into his 3rd year as a former 3rd round pick should be good enough to hold off AJ Brown. He has a good skill set himself and 3 years of NFL experience that AJ does not. Jonnu should be stepping up this year if he wants to remain on this team past this year. Bringing AJ along slowly and not having to count on him heavy at the beginning I think would be beneficial. If he comes out and is flat out better than the other guys than so be it. I'm rooting for Taywan this year. he could surprise.

2 hours ago, Airness McNairness said:

I like this pic a lot. I am just hesitant to drink some of the koolaid. There are about 4-5 guys I'm a counting on more than AJ Brown this year and that is no knock on him. Corey, Adam, Delanie, Taywan, and Jonnu should all be ahead of him in the pecking order. Specifically taywan. I think he is a pretty good wr who could break out in year 3 with consistent qb play. hell, this entire offense should explode with consistent qb play. Taywan going into his 3rd year as a former 3rd round pick should be good enough to hold off AJ Brown. He has a good skill set himself and 3 years of NFL experience that AJ does not. Jonnu should be stepping up this year if he wants to remain on this team past this year. Bringing AJ along slowly and not having to count on him heavy at the beginning I think would be beneficial. If he comes out and is flat out better than the other guys than so be it. I'm rooting for Taywan this year. he could surprise.

What has Taywan shown you other than speed that he’s better than AJ, just because 1 WR is in his 3rd yr & the other is a rookie doesn’t mean sh*+. you know how many WR Randy Moss was better than his rookie year, not comparing AJ to moss but just saying. Taywan isn’t a precise route runner can’t locate the ball at times & has questionable hands so I’m not buying it. Let the best man win & my money is on AJ brown. Physicality, strong hands, understands how to get open, recognizes coverage & is a beast after the catch. He’s explosive & you can tell the kid works & he’s an alpha male he’s going to push Corey Davis 

18 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

What has Taywan shown you other than speed that he’s better than AJ, just because 1 WR is in his 3rd yr & the other is a rookie doesn’t mean sh*+. you know how many WR Randy Moss was better than his rookie year, not comparing AJ to moss but just saying. Taywan isn’t a precise route runner can’t locate the ball at times & has questionable hands so I’m not buying it. Let the best man win & my money is on AJ brown. Physicality, strong hands, understands how to get open, recognizes coverage & is a beast after the catch. He’s explosive & you can tell the kid works & he’s an alpha male he’s going to push Corey Davis 

i feel you but how much were people hyped up about Taywan when he was a rookie and how dynamic he was? don't get me wrong, like I said, I'm all for AJ, but miss me with all that understand how to get open, recognizes coverages, etc, type stuff. Until he proves he can do it in the NFL, it don't matter. not saying that he wont, but lets wait and see. remember, every NFL receiver was the guy on his college team. if AJ Brown were a top 10 pick, then maybe ok. I look at a guy like adam Humphries who just had a career year after two pedestrian years to start his career.  taywan has his problems, no doubt, but he has talent as well and at the beginning of the season, I'm leaning on the vet versus the rookie. like I said, if aj comes in and beats him out, I would not be surprised or against it. all rookies take time to adjust. aj will be given every opportunity to win the job, I just think taywan is gonna have something to say about it and wont go so easily.

• Like 1

I'm way more skeptical on Jonnu and Taywan than you.  They both had plenty of opportunities in their second year, which is where you're supposed to see big gains.  Neither delivered.  Humphries I'm lower on to a lesser degree.

Jonnu had 12 starts, with a QB that likes throwing to QBs, on a thin receiving roster, and didn't crack 300 yards.  Taylor is similar.  Even if you discount his foot injury, he wasn't that impressive.  I don't know about yall, but I was not hyped at Taylor when he was drafted.  They should have taken Godwin, and I don't remember too many Titans fans being that thrilled with him as a prospect out of WKU.

Taylor maybe would have had a 7 or 800 yard season were it not for the foot injury, but only maybe.  AJ Brown, if nothing else, is a bigger target, and will be much more useful in the redzone than Taylor.  Taylor is the vet, so he'll presumptively be ahead of Brown in the depth chart, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet on Brown playing more snaps than any WR other than Davis by the season's end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Airness McNairness said:

i feel you but how much were people hyped up about Taywan when he was a rookie and how dynamic he was? don't get me wrong, like I said, I'm all for AJ, but miss me with all that understand how to get open, recognizes coverages, etc, type stuff. Until he proves he can do it in the NFL, it don't matter. not saying that he wont, but lets wait and see. remember, every NFL receiver was the guy on his college team. if AJ Brown were a top 10 pick, then maybe ok. I look at a guy like adam Humphries who just had a career year after two pedestrian years to start his career.  taywan has his problems, no doubt, but he has talent as well and at the beginning of the season, I'm leaning on the vet versus the rookie. like I said, if aj comes in and beats him out, I would not be surprised or against it. all rookies take time to adjust. aj will be given every opportunity to win the job, I just think taywan is gonna have something to say about it and wont go so easily.

Okay what was Corey Davis strengths coming out of college 🤔 route running & separation, catch radius & hands #1 WR potential. So far he’s has 2 things that has slowed his development, injuries & a pedestrian offense, he’s shown flashes of his strength. I see the same with brown when I watch his film, granted the NFL is different from college but the man gets open with reading coverage knowing when to sit in zone & find the hole vs keep running, knows how to run routes, strong hands & big time yac. Now I’m not saying he’s going to be a #1 franchise WR. I’m saying he’s going to beat Taylor. Nothing Taylor does impress me other than deep speed I don’t see him win with route running, I always see him slip coming out of breaks, questionable hands & he doesn’t understand how to stack DB’s when their in his hip pocket 

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

Okay what was Corey Davis strengths coming out of college 🤔 route running & separation, catch radius & hands #1 WR potential. So far he’s has 2 things that has slowed his development, injuries & a pedestrian offense, he’s shown flashes of his strength. I see the same with brown when I watch his film, granted the NFL is different from college but the man gets open with reading coverage knowing when to sit in zone & find the hole vs keep running, knows how to run routes, strong hands & big time yac. Now I’m not saying he’s going to be a #1 franchise WR. I’m saying he’s going to beat Taylor. Nothing Taylor does impress me other than deep speed I don’t see him win with route running, I always see him slip coming out of breaks, questionable hands & he doesn’t understand how to stack DB’s when their in his hip pocket 

i feel where you're coming from, honestly I do. I'm still gonna hold out hope though. Maybe this is a wake up call to him because Brown is either his or Sharpe's replacement. I don't see him going down without a fight. I do see Taylor as a high end depth guy as of right now, but I always hold out hope that guys can turn it on and continue to develop.

• Like 1

I wanted to buy into Taylor and I think I even convinced myself he could be a starting caliber WR, but I think he put enough tape out last year of him failing to track the ball in the air to expect him to play any sort of real role. It sucks because if he could do that one thing, there are some other elements to his game th think he could contribute to an offense. Maybe he'll work it out.

Smith is almost the opposite. Outside of one drop he didn't really put anything on tape to make you say he's out, but at the same time he didn't put anything on the tape to make you think he's more than depth. Except perhaps his YAC ability.

I

Edited by TitanSS
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...