Pick 51 Titans Select AJ Brown

615finest

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Elite athleticism is like DK Metcalf or Paris Campbell.  That was my point, he didn't have a top-end 40 and didn't jump out of the building, but those traits are overrated, and they're the only ones he doesn't have.  If he had those, he's going top 5.

And yeah, if they need him to be faster, he could probably shed a little weight and be faster.

Right NFL stupid time & time history has shown guys without elite athleticism have dominated, Rice, Boldin, Nicks, Chad Johnson.. man give me production 

7 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Obviously the better receiver but doesn’t have any value in SPT which is what a #5 receiver should provide.

I feel you. dont weaken the wr room just to strengthen the st tho. Other guys on the roster can fill kr need. not just anybody can be a reliable depth wr the way Sharpe can. teams can do a lot worse than Sharpe as their 5th best wr 

realistically? how effective do y'all see brown being this year? I dont like to count on rookies much seeing how they rarely have an impact on the teams actually record. our established guys are the ones who are gonna do that. what Henry does, how Mariota does, how Conklin bounces back, if adore takes a leap, if Corey takes that leap, if Harold takes that leap, if delanie come back, those are gonna determine the record. I like to look at my rookies as just icing on the cake. whatever they add should be look as such. Davis, hump,walker, and maybe even Taylor are all or should come before brown in the receiving pecking order. at least at first and barring injury. that brown koolaid is mighty sweet here and in the national media. saw one pundit say he could see brown grabbing 100 balls this year lol. YIKES! all im saying is maybe we should adjust expectations. im rooting for the guy like hell tho. just want whatever he gives to be the gravy on the mash potatoes and not actually be the mash potatoes. 

I’m likely in the minority, but I’m kinda lukewarm on the pick. It’s not that I don’t like brown I’m just skeptical about the WR room they’re building. You just paid a lot of money to bring in a high end slot WR. And now you’re drafting someone who plays the same position, albeit with a different style. Brown is at his best playing in the slot. He can utilize his abilities best in the slot. With Humphries in fold, we needed someone to challenge on the outside, opposite Davis. Can Brown play on the outside? maybe... hopefully... Maybe Humphrey’s can play outside a bit. Ultimately what we want from Brown is someone who can come in and contribute in a big way immediately. Not to say Brown can’t grow into a productive WR outside the numbers in time. But i don’t think it’s the best way to use him immediately. IMO the slot is, but you have an 9 million dollar FA acquisition there and I don’t see this team running 4 wide enough to consistently need 2 slot guys. IMO Brown is only a “A” pick if he is an immediate contributor. If it takes him awhile to make an impact, like it does most rookie WRs, then this another pick geared more for 2020 than 2019. I give the pick a B.

4 hours ago, Chocolateman78 said:

I’m likely in the minority, but I’m kinda lukewarm on the pick. It’s not that I don’t like brown I’m just skeptical about the WR room they’re building. You just paid a lot of money to bring in a high end slot WR. And now you’re drafting someone who plays the same position, albeit with a different style. Brown is at his best playing in the slot. He can utilize his abilities best in the slot. With Humphries in fold, we needed someone to challenge on the outside, opposite Davis. Can Brown play on the outside? maybe... hopefully... Maybe Humphrey’s can play outside a bit. Ultimately what we want from Brown is someone who can come in and contribute in a big way immediately. Not to say Brown can’t grow into a productive WR outside the numbers in time. But i don’t think it’s the best way to use him immediately. IMO the slot is, but you have an 9 million dollar FA acquisition there and I don’t see this team running 4 wide enough to consistently need 2 slot guys. IMO Brown is only a “A” pick if he is an immediate contributor. If it takes him awhile to make an impact, like it does most rookie WRs, then this another pick geared more for 2020 than 2019. I give the pick a B.

Why be skeptical about it? We now have a WR corps that features a natural, classic X prototype of a WR in Davis, a deep threat in Taylor, a quick, shifty, more traditional slot receiver in Humphries and a physical, solid route runner with YAC ability that could line up in multiple positions in Brown. We really couldn't be more diverse than that, and it's far from a bad thing. I mean, we went from having a league high number of TEs on roster to now featuring this WR corps, and I couldn't be happier about it.

5 hours ago, Airness McNairness said:

realistically? how effective do y'all see brown being this year? I dont like to count on rookies much seeing how they rarely have an impact on the teams actually record. our established guys are the ones who are gonna do that. what Henry does, how Mariota does, how Conklin bounces back, if adore takes a leap, if Corey takes that leap, if Harold takes that leap, if delanie come back, those are gonna determine the record. I like to look at my rookies as just icing on the cake. whatever they add should be look as such. Davis, hump,walker, and maybe even Taylor are all or should come before brown in the receiving pecking order. at least at first and barring injury. that brown koolaid is mighty sweet here and in the national media. saw one pundit say he could see brown grabbing 100 balls this year lol. YIKES! all im saying is maybe we should adjust expectations. im rooting for the guy like hell tho. just want whatever he gives to be the gravy on the mash potatoes and not actually be the mash potatoes. 

Realistically, I think if Walker somehow has a down year, we could very well see Brown leading the team in either targets, receptions or yards. I just think his play style might very well translate into a "QB's favorite target" type of receiver.

1 hour ago, Andrei01 said:

Why be skeptical about it? We now have a WR corps that features a natural, classic X prototype of a WR in Davis, a deep threat in Taylor, a quick, shifty, more traditional slot receiver in Humphries and a physical, solid route runner with YAC ability that could line up in multiple positions in Brown. We really couldn't be more diverse than that, and it's far from a bad thing. I mean, we went from having a league high number of TEs on roster to now featuring this WR corps, and I couldn't be happier about it.

Realistically, I think if Walker somehow has a down year, we could very well see Brown leading the team in either targets, receptions or yards. I just think his play style might very well translate into a "QB's favorite target" type of receiver.

Absolutely agree. I really think he could be something special. His YAC is just insane. A true RB with the ball in his hands. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Airness McNairness said:

I feel you. dont weaken the wr room just to strengthen the st tho. Other guys on the roster can fill kr need. not just anybody can be a reliable depth wr the way Sharpe can. teams can do a lot worse than Sharpe as their 5th best wr 

Reality is he won't be 5th, he'll actually be 6th and a likely weekly inactive, as Jennings takes the 5th WR/KR/PR role. 

Let's also not forget we're not guaranteed to carry 6 WRs. Not only will he be up against a guy like Batson and other udfa WRs, he's also fighting a roster spot against a 4th TE and 4th RB/FB. Even with the extra spot from only carrying 2 QBs... It's unlikely we carry 6/4/4 at the skill positions. Those last few spots will have to contribute on STs to even be active... Pruitt, Firkser, Flu all put up over 80 STs snaps last year. Batson only put up 33 in a half a season, but thats still significantly higher than Sharpe's 5 STs snaps. 

• Like 1

I'm excited about this pick and loved the reels I saw of Brown after we drafted him. But again, it's going to take our offensive staff to finally decide to properly utilize ANY wide receiver in our offense and involve them in our offense. LeFleur used Davis one week and then not the next for inexplicable reasons. We don't let anyone become a true #1 or #2 or #3 guy...we just approach our passing attack with our thumbs up our butts.

8 hours ago, Airness McNairness said:

7 hours ago, Chocolateman78 said:

Addressing both of these, I think it's foolish to expect Brown to come in and put up 1000 yards in his rookie season, but I think you're selling him short on his abilities.  IIRC, Mississippi started him on the outside in the wake of DK Metcalf's injury, and he played very well there.  I think that was during the stretch where they played Vandy (second round draft pick CB Joejuan Williams' team) and he put up 200 yards.

If I'm putting a number on it, I'd say 5-600 yards and three or four touchdowns is a reasonable expectation.  Might be more productive in the red zone when defenses are already compressed, but I don't see any serious limitations in what he can do myself.  It's also hard for me to imagine him coming in and being out-played by anyone in the receiving corps that isn't named Corey Davis.

20 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I'm excited about this pick and loved the reels I saw of Brown after we drafted him. But again, it's going to take our offensive staff to finally decide to properly utilize ANY wide receiver in our offense and involve them in our offense. LeFleur used Davis one week and then not the next for inexplicable reasons. We don't let anyone become a true #1 or #2 or #3 guy...we just approach our passing attack with our thumbs up our butts.

Agree 100%.  I think that now, with Walker, Davis, and Brown all as options, it should be pretty easy to utilize.  Especially if the new OC is the kind of guy I think he is that isn't going to try to get too cute with rotations and changing up the offense.

I don't think we can assume that Smith is going to evolve the passing O the way LeFleur wouldn't. Granted, we shouldn't have the injuries/Matthews quitting like last year, so we shouldn't be so hamstrung from a talent standpoint. But we've made it clear that the O will run through Henry...which is fine...but Marcus needs to be throwing the ball more than 20x a game and we need to get him rolling early.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 6:13 PM, KingTitan said:

Cool behind the scenes look at Brown getting drafted. 

this lil mini series was great. Even before we drafted Brown, it was very insightful into the type of person he seems to be. the episode when he trained with jerry rice was awesome. Looking at him in that t-shirt, man he really is a big dude. biggest wr I've seen in a while in two tone blue.

Count me in the wait and see I am not worried about about doubling up the slot I worry about his route running is it precise and “quick” enough to get open does he have the right feel to go against zones.   Personally college tape to me is real misleading unless your seeing it against Alabama or Clemson.

• Like 1