Eagles Draft: 2nd round (57 ovr): JJ Arcega-Whiteside., WR Stanford

Kiltman

6 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

That's what happens on this board - didn't draft a player you like, immediately speak very negatively of them to hep your argument. 

Someone said it in another thread - we need to stop looking at who we could've drafted vs who we actually drafted. It's terrible to come here this time of year. 

That would be to easy and the opposite of what the future NFL scouts we have in this forum sitting on thier couch will do. 🤫

It's an annual thing by now, to be expected. At least for the decade+ I've  been on this forum. Carry on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Danger said:

I swear you guys are just looking at everything JJ does with a negativity bias to justify your disdain that didn't take a Safety. JFC y'all are insufferable.

If he ends up just being average, does that make you an insufferable homer? Maybe he ends up good, but we're entitled to our own opinions, and I don't see anything special besides catch in traffic ability. 

Edited by Jeezla

15 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

If he ends up just being average, does that make you an insufferable homer? Maybe he ends up good, but we're entitled to our own opinions, and I don't see anything special besides catch in traffic ability. 

No? It's not like we reached on Daniel Jones. Arcega Whiteside was a 2nd/3rd round pick by all scouting reports. Dude hasn't even had a chance. He's talented and has the measurables. 
You don't see me championing JJ, but I'm not instantly calling it a bust pick either. Just chill out. Most of you guys are simply looking only at what he can't do right now because "OMG we don't develop receivers HERMAHGERD". You're not looking at what he can do, and just assuming he'll never improve.

10 minutes ago, Danger said:

No? It's not like we reached on Daniel Jones. Arcega Whiteside was a 2nd/3rd round pick by all scouting reports. Dude hasn't even had a chance. He's talented and has the measurables. 
You don't see me championing JJ, but I'm not instantly calling it a bust pick either. Just chill out. Most of you guys are simply looking only at what he can't do right now because "OMG we don't develop receivers HERMAHGERD". You're not looking at what he can do, and just assuming he'll never improve.

Nelson Agholor was a 2nd/3rd by all scouting reports. J Matt was a 2nd/3rd by all scouting reports. I don't care about scouting reports. I care about what I see with my own eyes. When I watch JJ, I see just an average WR.

And "OMG We don't develop WR's" is a real thing until we actually develop a WR. 

It's a good thing we're carrying over a bunch of cap, because we're gonna need it to buy other teams good players next year in FA, when it's obvious all we really got from this rookie class is a good LT and a decent, but not top 10 starting RB.

Edited by Jeezla

Eh...I think both takes are fine. No one is an expert here, but a lot of guys put in the time to have somewhat informed opinion.

I truly respect the opinions of a lot of us because I know they put the time to educate themselves.

If you really liked a guy and thought he could be a star for the eagles and the Eagles passed on them, it doesn't mean you have to throw out that opinion.
I mean yeah, eventually you have to stop talking about it, but the draft is a crap shoot. We miss on guys, Howie misses on guys, Everyone does.

I don't see why having an opinion that drafting a guy like Miller or Thorson are really not impactful picks and could've been better used is invalid or dumb. 
Just like thinking they could develop over time into quality number 2 options.

I mean it's sports, the reason it's as big as it is is because people get invested and argue.
Why else are we here?

24 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Eh...I think both takes are fine. No one is an expert here, but a lot of guys put in the time to have somewhat informed opinion.

I truly respect the opinions of a lot of us because I know they put the time to educate themselves.

If you really liked a guy and thought he could be a star for the eagles and the Eagles passed on them, it doesn't mean you have to throw out that opinion.
I mean yeah, eventually you have to stop talking about it, but the draft is a crap shoot. We miss on guys, Howie misses on guys, Everyone does.

I don't see why having an opinion that drafting a guy like Miller or Thorson are really not impactful picks and could've been better used is invalid or dumb. 
Just like thinking they could develop over time into quality number 2 options.

I mean it's sports, the reason it's as big as it is is because people get invested and argue.
Why else are we here?

Thorson makes a ton of sense, although I would have preferred someone with a better arm.

The Redskins drafted a guy with the exact same skill set as JJ 4 rounds after we did. Harmon is probably a better route runner too, but JJ has more consistent hands.

Miles over Henderson and Montgomery bugs me too. The Bears and Rams got better RB's in the 3rd than we got in the 2nd.

1 Andre Dillard
2 Nasir Adderley (Instead of Miles)
2 Darrell Henderson or David Montgomery (Instead of JJ)
4 Justin Hollins (Instead of Shareef)
5 Clayton Thorson
7 Emanuel Hall (Instead of trading for Ridgeway)

That would have been a great draft

Thank god we got Dillard at least. I genuinely love him as a prospect and we stole him at 22. He should have gone top 10.

Edited by Jeezla

And some of you guys are rocking midnight green glasses and drinking Howie's a$s juice thinking that his every move is acceptable or making this team better. That's almost as crazy as given grades for the draft for players who haven't played a down. 

We don't know what happened when the team met with any prospect. We don't have any idea how the board was put together or how the decision was made, was it a better pitch by scouts/coaches on JJ over another prospect? Did the board actually have JJ over others or was it a need based pick?

From a football standpoint, almost every Stanford perimeter pass catcher is a big guy who has success making contested catches. I personally would rather have a dynamic route running WR who can get himself open vs coverage over a 50/50 pass catcher. Tip passes lead to ints. most of the time. If he's making that many contested catches is it a result of the offense he's in or the inability to get himself open? Alshon makes a boat load of contested catches but he's open quite a bit as well. How does that bode well for Carson who doesn't take a lot of those 50/50 chances?

Because I would rather have another prospect who I think could help us. (ex. Adderley was still available) it doesn't mean I'm wrong or I don't have a clue, in fact we'll never know. My point with Adderley or any other safety is we have McLeod on a 1 year deal and Jenkins who's 30+, other than that we have Maddox who played some CF safety due to injury and Sullivan who is probably better suited near the LOS. If they felt no safety in this draft could project into a starter in the future, is that a product of scouting or the scheme we run?  

EDIT: Bottom line these boards are meant for conversation. If you don't want to read the "negativity" take your soft a$$ somewhere else. 

Edited by nlesthought
  • Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 3:06 PM, Jeezla said:

Watched just about all I could on him.
I don't think he's going to be that good. He gets about as much separation as Jordan Matthews did. He is much better than J Matt at catching in traffic, but he's going to have a similarly hard time getting open in the NFL, imo. 

We should put him in the slot, where he can basically be a better J Matt.

So.....

Ceiling: Alshon

Floor: A Better Jordan Matthews?

I'm fine with it. I wanted Adderley but apparently this is the year of giving Wentz more weapons.

I don´t have that much of a problem with this pick as with others. But what I do hate is this team´s drafting philosophy. It´s linemen or WR the only players we value apparently. I´m very worried about the LB position (yes I know we don´t value it but that doesn´t make it ok to neglect it to such degree) and to a lesser extent Safety. If one of our starters were to go down again and with this medical staff that´s almost a certainty we are screwed. Wish we had learned something from last year´s debacle. 

If Free Agency is the time of the year when you love Howie, the draft has to be the time of the year when you hate him. We suck at drafting and/or developing players and I think he´s aware of that because he parts with draft picks very willingly. 

3 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Nelson Agholor was a 2nd/3rd by all scouting reports. J Matt was a 2nd/3rd by all scouting reports. I don't care about scouting reports. I care about what I see with my own eyes. When I watch JJ, I see just an average WR.

And "OMG We don't develop WR's" is a real thing until we actually develop a WR. 

It's a good thing we're carrying over a bunch of cap, because we're gonna need it to buy other teams good players next year in FA, when it's obvious all we really got from this rookie class is a good LT and a decent, but not top 10 starting RB.

lol you see an average receiver?? I don't know what youve been watching but to me his redzone presence warrants his 2nd round selection by itself.. extremely strong hands.. love his attitude on the field.. game 1 last season, he put up over 200 yards receiving with 3 tds.. thats not average to me. 

18 hours ago, eagles18 said:

lol you see an average receiver?? I don't know what youve been watching but to me his redzone presence warrants his 2nd round selection by itself.. extremely strong hands.. love his attitude on the field.. game 1 last season, he put up over 200 yards receiving with 3 tds.. thats not average to me. 

I think he’s going to be a better pro then college wideout. He’s going to be able tp expand his routes and he runs a nasty slant that they rarely called, it’s something we call a lot though. His high point though is insane

• 3 weeks later...