Sign in to follow this  
Kiltman

Eagles Draft: 2nd round (57 ovr): JJ Arcega-Whiteside., WR Stanford

2 hours ago, Danger said:

I think moreso than anything else, I didn't want to use our first round pick on Hollywood Brown. 

That wasn't my death knell for this draft, but he certainly wasn't my #1 guy I wanted. That was Clelin Ferrell or Brian Burns.

My issue was why draft a big bodied RZ WR when you have Alshon, his backup (Hollins) and two 6'5 TEs?

There were several speed WRs in that draft

DK

AJ Brown

McLaurin

M. Brown

Hardman

Campbell

Isabella

E. Hall

Slayton

3 hours ago, nlesthought said:

My issue was why draft a big bodied RZ WR when you have Alshon, his backup (Hollins) and two 6'5 TEs?

There were several speed WRs in that draft

DK

AJ Brown

McLaurin

M. Brown

Hardman

Campbell

Isabella

E. Hall

Slayton

Because they weren't looking for a DeSean type replacement in 2020 but a potential Alshons. There was nothing on JJ's tape in college that suggested he'd either A: struggle picking up the offense or B: Not at least be serviceable on 3rd Downs and the RZ with AJ,  DJ and Agholor as Starters.

Fact of the matter is we haven't had a Single WR since DeSean in 2008 come in year 1 and show signs of greatness. Not 1. That to me is a FO/Coaching thing. I'm not going to write the kid off completely but at some point he's going to need to contribute somewhere. 

Last year we addressed the RB position, Future LT and Alshon after taking Goedert the year before that. For all intents and purposes they look to be good picks outside of JJ thus far.

This draft I have Zero doubt it will be for Desean and Agholors positions. Id expect a minimum of 2 WR taken unless added via FA/trade. 

If we were sitting here with a healthy DeSean and Alshon was out coming off his injury from last year instead, would we still be looking for that Speed WR opposite DJ?

Pederson has a Mold or what he likes his players to be able to do to fit his offense that Won him a SB. Like it or not JJ was that potential fit / comparison by most analyst as Alshons replacement. Still might be.

4 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

That wasn't my death knell for this draft, but he certainly wasn't my #1 guy I wanted. That was Clelin Ferrell or Brian Burns.

I never expected Burns to fall to us. I was all aboard the D-Lineman train. I wanted Simmons, Wilkins, or Ferrell. 

I never though Metcalf would fall to our first round pick, but I think I said early in the draft that if he fell to us we should run the pick to the podium. His game tape showed he was more agile than his combine numbers.

Pederson said that rookie wide receiver JJ Arcega-Whiteside has put in a good week’s work, but he always does. The head coach noted that JJAW always prepares well, but he’s been behind Jeffery, so if his work load increases this week, they expect him to play well. But, Pederson did admit that the rookie has showed a greater sense of urgency this week at practice, and has a increased attention to detail.

“There’s heightened awareness that there’s a chance he gets an opportunity.”

Pederson talking out of both sides, he always prepares well but he's showed greater sense of urgency??? Then why isn't he on the field???

I'm a coach I wouldn't talk like that, be straightforward these are men but as a former player, this would piss me off. 

33 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

Pederson said that rookie wide receiver JJ Arcega-Whiteside has put in a good week’s work, but he always does. The head coach noted that JJAW always prepares well, but he’s been behind Jeffery, so if his work load increases this week, they expect him to play well. But, Pederson did admit that the rookie has showed a greater sense of urgency this week at practice, and has a increased attention to detail.

“There’s heightened awareness that there’s a chance he gets an opportunity.”

Pederson talking out of both sides, he always prepares well but he's showed greater sense of urgency??? Then why isn't he on the field???

I'm a coach I wouldn't talk like that, be straightforward these are men but as a former player, this would piss me off. 

So you ignored the part where he said.."and has a increased attention to detail."

if that doesn't scream, JJ still doesn't know the playbook, I'm not sure what does?

You guys are acting as though they are intentionally keeping a better player off the field because all things are equal? They're not. Let's hope JJ isn't dumb as Rocks, can pick up the offense, run the right routes, be in the right spots, block who needs to be blocked because,  right now that seems to be the reason. Not some conspiracy to play worse players.

13 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

So you ignored the part where he said.."and has a increased attention to detail."

if that doesn't scream, JJ still doesn't know the playbook, I'm not sure what does?

You guys are acting as though they are intentionally keeping a better player off the field because all things are equal? They're not. Let's hope JJ isn't dumb as Rocks, can pick up the offense, run the right routes, be in the right spots, block who needs to be blocked because,  right now that seems to be the reason. Not some conspiracy to play worse players.

I never said they were doing it intentionally..."attention to detail" could be a number of things...technical, playbook, just the speed of the game slowing down...ex. how he runs his routes, blocking on the perimeter, being quicker in his site adjustments.. 

My favorite thing to happen this season would probably be for JJ to go off for like 100 yards and 2 TD in a win vs the Pats. A coming out party of sorts.

12 hours ago, Eagles23 said:

JJAW is our secret weapon against the Pats. Can't tip em off

Normally the Eagles are the Defense making scrub WR's out of nowhere look like HOF'rs. Patriots, Not so sure? Would be a pleasant surprise though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Normally the Eagles are the Defense making scrub WR's out of nowhere look like HOF'rs. Patriots, Not so sure? Would be a pleasant surprise though. 

He'll probably be defended by Mccourty, and J Matt by Gilmore. They'll likely blanket Ertz as well. Carson is screwed and likely going to be checkdown Charlie all day to Sanders and Agholor. 

J-A&W is going to have a crap day no matter how much attention to detail he had in practice against our soft secondary this week. He's a #4 wr. Hope he at least learns to be a good ST'er like Hollins, but i doubt it. 

Edited by Jeezla