Pick 58: Trysten Hill / DT / UCF

WizardHawk

Just now, WizardHawk said:

Nearly everyone on this board has bitched at one point or another about not grabbing a DT early ..... 

I'm not hating on it. I had us taking him in the 3rd, but we all know the draft is unpredictable and guys always go at different points than we project.

I would've drafted one of the safeties, but I can't be mad about Hill. He's a good player, and a legit 3T with tons of raw tools. Just needs someone to help develop him technically. Good thing we have the best defensive line coach in the NFL. FWIW (not too much, I'm just a YouTube watcher), here is my "scouting report" on Hill, who I gave a late 2nd/early 3rd round grade to:

Mediocre production in a group of five conference with 20 career TFL and just 6 sacks in three seasons. Good size and length for an NFL under tackle. Explodes off the line of scrimmage - often the first player out of his stance and is quick to get into the backfield. Moves well laterally and has tremendous range. Has a tendency to let his pad level rise when firing off the line of scrimmage. Doesn't always punch with his hands, instead lowering his shoulder into blockers. When he does use his hands properly, he's got a ton of pop and you can see offensive linemen get jolted by his punch. Doesn't have a great natural anchor, which is more noticable because he plays upright too often. Has a decent anchor when his technique is right, but his real game is attacking gaps upfield. Lacks pass rush counters and an overall plan - his plan seems to be run after the quarterback and try to truck anything in his way. I believe he has some pass rush upside because of his quickness, flexibility, and lateral movement skills. Plays with his hair on fire - goes 100% on every snap. The downside is he'll lose his balance and end up on the ground too often. Clashed with the UCF coaching staff, and he was actually a backup this past season. Hill isn't yet the sum of his parts, and he may not make a huge impact on an NFL field for a season or two, but his upside is tremendous if he lands with a coach who is patient and can improve his technique.

Weapons or trenches is what I was preach. Dallas went for trenches, so I can't complain. The player I was hoping to slip was Irv Smith, but would have been happy with Jace Sternberger. Hill Sounds like a talented project. As usual for this time of year, hope and excitement is all we can do. I hope Hill is what he is projected to be.

2 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Does this mean we get to see more of Jeff Heath :ph34r:

Maybe, but not necessarily. Eric Berry, Tre Boston, Quin Glover still available via FA. Amani Hooker, CGJ, Deionte Thompson, Khari Willis...lot of options there yet. 

3 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Maybe, but not necessarily. Eric Berry, Tre Boston, Quin Glover still available via FA. Amani Hooker, CGJ, Deionte Thompson, Khari Willis...lot of options there yet. 

We signed Iloka as well. I don't think Heath sees much time this year. 

• Like 1