2.41 Dalton Risner OL Kansas State

Scoundrel

A+ pick.   Top 30 talent, who probably got downgraded for the belief he can't stay outside at T.  But he's got elite G traits, and many believe he can still stay outside at T - he's that talented and versatile.   So we have flexibility in case of injury, age-related decline, or failure to progress.   And his motor/intangibles are off-the-charts, but not just all intangibles - paired with skill, it's such a great combo.

Given the fact we didn't have to trade up to get him, for pure value, could be the best pick this draft.   With OC Munchak, after many lean years, there's just so much more hope we can turn a perennial weakness (OL play) into a strength.   The caveat with Munchak is it usually takes 1 full season to see the big jump (year 2 is when OL play jumps up the rankings), but this is a great step there.   I hope we do get a chance to get a developmental T somewhere in Day 3 to build on this, but this just  is a fantastic pick. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Dalton in meetings with Sam Jones, Connor McGovern, and Lindsay already watching film on pass protection. Love this kids desire to be great.

Sounds like Jones, McGovern and Lindsay share that desire.

Real curious to see how Jones is doing. It'd be fantastic if he could earn the  back up position for all three spots on the IOL this year, preparing to take over from Leary by next year.

• Like 2

I'll be honest, I think the Risner pick is also a subtle nod to Bolles that he needs to pick it up. He may not be the ideal LT, but James could move there, Risner to RT. Bolles has underperformed thus far. IMO, he's shown very little in the way of growth, and although you could argue some of his mistakes are more mental than anything, he needs to pick it up. Munchak should help with that, but if he doesn't take the next step, Denver should be prepared to shift some things around.

6 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I'll be honest, I think the Risner pick is also a subtle nod to Bolles that he needs to pick it up. He may not be the ideal LT, but James could move there, Risner to RT. Bolles has underperformed thus far. IMO, he's shown very little in the way of growth, and although you could argue some of his mistakes are more mental than anything, he needs to pick it up. Munchak should help with that, but if he doesn't take the next step, Denver should be prepared to shift some things around.

Nah, Bolles is doin' just fine and should take another big step this year. His penalties should drop considerably since he'll actually have a real NFL LG next to him.

McGovern is the weak link at this point. He needs to really step up at center. 

A little post-draft dot connecting: Denver has patched together a decent looking starting 5 on paper but they still desperately need a swing tackle and there's a surprising surplus of veteran tackles available. Given our zone-based scheme and Scangarello's work with the offensive line in Atlanta, Ryan Schraeder would make sense as a target. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

A little post-draft dot connecting: Denver has patched together a decent looking starting 5 on paper but they still desperately need a swing tackle and there's a surprising surplus of veteran tackles available. Given our zone-based scheme and Scangarello's work with the offensive line in Atlanta, Ryan Schraeder would make sense as a target. 

If he would come on the cheap I’d be all for it. Played at a high level once and then fell off.

30 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I'm not sure if Wilkinson has a role. I just haven't seen much of him.

That said, there's lots of FA OT's available. Schraeder, Remmers, ...............................

Actually my favorite would be Chris Clark. We already know he can play either OT spot.

• Like 1