2.42 Drew Lock QB Missouri

Scoundrel

19 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

He just oozes confidence but has humility. That’s what I got from the presser. Seems like the total opposite of Paxton Lynch.

To be fair, Lynch never really oozed arrogance.   He didn't ooze much of anything at all.    So little between the ears, he didn't learn a thing while with us, and there were no signs it was stubborness.  He just didn't it have it between the ears. 

But yeah, as it's been covered before, at least we don't have a Lynch skill set - Lock's got several issues to fix, but there aren't the same as Lynch's biggest flaws.

While he's saying all the right things, let's face it - Flacco's on a short leash, and Lock knows it (heck, even Flacco probably realizes this, even if he put up the call for DEN not to pick QB early, saying he's got this).  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

On 27/04/2019 at 2:24 PM, Broncofan said:

Flacco's on a short leash, and Lock knows it

No doubt about it. But I also think he is in a longer leash than he was with the Ravens. At least the young guys behind him fit the same system. With the Ravens, they were eager to change the system by throwing Jackson in the field.

Also I think Brett Rypien signing as a UDFA is huge. I have to think he will have a chance to win the roster spot in the battle with Hogan and Grayson....could be hard to bring two rookies QBs to the roster....but Rypien should at least bring some competitiveness to the backup battle....what could push Lock to give even more attention to his flaws. 

I think Flacc is going to get at least 10 games here no matter how poorly he performs. At the end of the day, Elway and co. have put enough weapons on the offensive side of the ball, that fi Joe doesn't succeed, it's on him.

The OL now has bookend tackles, a new guard, Leary, and McGovern in some form or fashion. All TEs are healthy and Fant has now been added. They have two young RBs and a sound passing down option in Booker. WR is young, but has potential. If Flacco fails, Lock is there. If Flacco doesn't fail, the hope should be these guys mature and grow this year to put Lock in a better position when he's ready to take over.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I think Flacc is going to get at least 10 games here no matter how poorly he performs. At the end of the day, Elway and co. have put enough weapons on the offensive side of the ball, that fi Joe doesn't succeed, it's on him.

The OL now has bookend tackles, a new guard, Leary, and McGovern in some form or fashion. All TEs are healthy and Fant has now been added. They have two young RBs and a sound passing down option in Booker. WR is young, but has potential. If Flacco fails, Lock is there. If Flacco doesn't fail, the hope should be these guys mature and grow this year to put Lock in a better position when he's ready to take over.

While I have no faith in Flacco long-term or even short-term, the fact he was brought in with no future guaranteed $, makes it pretty easy to see why we need a QBOTF, since we aren't committing to Flacco beyond 2019, and his decline in play the last 5 years.  But on the flip side, any rookie QB brought in this year, even Haskins, it would have been a tough prop for us to start them week 1.  The jump to NFL game speed is that nuts.  For a guy like Lock who has several key fixes, and needs to learn to handle pressure better, it's a no-brainer to give him time.  Elway didn't commit 18M to Flacco to simply use him like Mike Glennon or even Tyrod Taylor.   Only way Lock goes in sooner than 2H of the year, when we are likely not playoff contenders - barring injury, it's the clear plan A.

Unlike Lynch, however, I'd be shocked if we didn't see at least X games from Lock, X being at minimum the # games where we play knowing we are eliminated from playoff contention.  One of the big reasons Lynch was immediately a risky pick that was raised well before he started to show zero growth as a NFL prospect - it was almost a given he'd need 2 full years to be ready as the best-case scenario.   While Lock's problems may never get fixed, that timeline isn't by any means similar.  If Scangarelli can get Lock straightened out, being ready to be the guy for 2020 isn't crazy.  It's more - can the problems get fixed.    

Edited by Broncofan

I suspect that Lock is at least, capable of developing into a good back-up and if we get anymore than that from him then this has been an excellent draft.

I will say that there is one difference I notice between Lock, Lynch and Osweiler - Lock appears to possess some intelligence - and I would take a smart player over one full of talent with nothing between the ears every day of the week.

6 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Don't look now, but Elway has quietly transformed our offense from philosophy thru players to a younger, 21st century version of the late 90's Broncos. Strong mobile OL, TE mismatch, dynamic RB, consistent WR's, strong armed SB MVP at QB and an OC right off the Walsh/Shanahan coaching tree

I'm expecting rough spots and growing pains but the potential is there for a perennial top 10 offense. 

This should be a lot of fun. 

Personally, unless Flacco gets injured, I don't think Lock sees the field for any meaningful snaps for two years. By then he should be ready or it's time to trade him and move on.

18 hours ago, broncos67 said:

At the end of the day, Elway and co. have put enough weapons on the offensive side of the ball, that fi Joe doesn't succeed, it's on him.

Hmm. Not sure about all of this.

Garrett Bolles definitely hasn't earned being called a bookend Tackle. He faded so badly down the stretch again last year. Right now, in my mind, he's a below average NFL LT for a QB that is notorious for a lack of ability to move within the pocket. That concerns me.

All TEs are healthy now, but will they come the season? Fant is an unknown rookie; I don't think we can just point to Flacco if Fant isn't producing within the first 10 games.

I agree with our RB options. It's probably my favourite part of the roster, sans OLB. I love the youthful exuberance and fair play to Booker - we all wanted him gone prior to last year, but was very productive at times.

Our WR is exactly how you say - young, potential but unproven. Our best weapon (by a mile) is coming off a major injury so there's unknown there. 

I do like the direction our Offense is going but I don't think we can say that if it has been productive after 10 games that it is automatically Flacco's fault. It could easily be a multitude of things on this Offense, and the OL is definitely still a concern in my mind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 1:24 PM, Broncofan said:

To be fair, Lynch never really oozed arrogance.   He didn't ooze much of anything at all.    So little between the ears, he didn't learn a thing while with us, and there were no signs it was stubborness.  He just didn't it have it between the ears. 

But yeah, as it's been covered before, at least we don't have a Lynch skill set - Lock's got several issues to fix, but there aren't the same as Lynch's biggest flaws.

While he's saying all the right things, let's face it - Flacco's on a short leash, and Lock knows it (heck, even Flacco probably realizes this, even if he put up the call for DEN not to pick QB early, saying he's got this).  

He did look like he would be as fun to talk to as talking to a lamp.  At least a lamp can keep the lights on. 

• Like 1