Round 3 Pick 67: San Francisco 49ers Select WR Jalen Hurd Baylor

J-ALL-DAY

5 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

'Nuff said.

You could be making an argument AGAINST your own intent though. 

Consider Bosa words true.. and you might consider then that you don't need a "true #1 Edge guy" to kick arse next to Buck. 

Yes, throwing a very similar argument on its vacuumed head. 

Had it to do over, I probably wouldnt even change anything, except for all the picks after Bosa. It's true. This offense shouldn't NEED a wideout like OBJ... and he probably wouldn't get the targets he would want.. which could? be a problem later. 

Not sayin'... just sayin'.... :P 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

You could be making an argument AGAINST your own intent though. 

Consider Bosa words true.. and you might consider then that you don't need a "true #1 Edge guy" to kick arse next to Buck. 

Yes, throwing a very similar argument on its vacuumed head. 

Had it to do over, I probably wouldnt even change anything, except for all the picks after Bosa. It's true. This offense shouldn't NEED a wideout like OBJ... and he probably wouldn't get the targets he would want.. which could? be a problem later. 

Not sayin'... just sayin'.... :P 

With a brilliant d coordinator, absolutely this is true. But with our coordinator? We need elite talent to negate the deficiencies of our poor defensive scheming. With the offense, the opposite is true. Shannahan has made lesser weapons look really legit in his offense. And we all know that a true franchise QB can make average players look elite (Payton Manning). Not saying Jimmy G is at that level, but when he's on the field, this offense can really be deadly.

If the argument is Bosa or OBJ, and given the context of this team, it's Bosa 10000% for me. This offense doesn't need OBJ to be great, but this defense really needs Bosa for it to be great. Rather than getting OBJ and an average to below-average pass rusher in the draft, we got an elite pass rusher and legit receiving target without giving out another 100 mil contract. Bosa will elevate our defense more than what OBJ could do on our offense.   

• Like 6

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good stuff, he definitely has a natural movement for a guy his size and is smooth with his routes. I did see some drops from him which he needs to improve on but his ability after the catch is apparent. I saw a lot of his catches came out of the slot so I wonder if that's where he's used the most? Obviously Shanahan can get creative and use him in different ways.

The Niners now have a bunch of YAC monsters on the team with Hurd, Samuel, Kittle and even Pettis. All are great after the catch and clearly Shanahan rates that highly from what he is looking for from a WR. I expect a bunch of quick hitters to give these receivers a chance to do what they do best after the catch. I didn't watch Hurd so when we drafted him, I thought he was drafted to be a 2nd TE. But watching him now, he definitely can play WR as his movement and route running is very solid.

His injury history a thing or worry or he should be fine going forward?

Injuries can happen to anyone.  I wouldn't consider Jalen soft.  But being such a big target at 6'5" 225 lbs he does take a lot of punishment.  That's the main reason he switched positions.  He was getting beat up too much being such a huge RB.

4 hours ago, VanS said:

Injuries can happen to anyone.  I wouldn't consider Jalen soft.  But being such a big target at 6'5" 225 lbs he does take a lot of punishment.  That's the main reason he switched positions.  He was getting beat up too much being such a huge RB.

3 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Boom he's healthy

Nice, excited to see how he will he looking at TC and preseason. Looks like he's fully healed from that meniscus injury. 

• Like 1

Is it me or do reporters/media ask some of the dumbest, most redundant questions? Like how many ways can you ask the kid how he plans to be used or what makes him unique? Literally 4 different media members asked him the same exact question, just worded differently. You could tell he was probably saying to himself c'mon ppl, can you ask me something different.

• Like 1

I liked his presence and the way he spoke. He seems like a very sharp guy. 

I really think the whole TE thing is overblown. He's a WR who can line up outside, inside, and in the backfield. 

• Like 3

I think drafting Hurd was just Kyle trying to fit another RB onto the roster. We want ALL the RBs!! A roster filled with RBs! Dress up all of them, TC, Jet, Breida, Mostert, Hurd, Juice... even Jeff Wilson!!! Every game! I bet Hurd could play FS too.

17 hours ago, N4L said:

I liked his presence and the way he spoke. He seems like a very sharp guy. 

I really think the whole TE thing is overblown. He's a WR who can line up outside, inside, and in the backfield. 

Exactly. Don't beef him up, don't lean him down. Just let him be who he is, and let him grow into a weapon. We have Juice Check who is not exactly just a FB, but not exactly a TE, yet he can line up wide and be a match up nightmare. Kittle is also a nightmare. Pettis and Deebo might spend the next few years turning corners inside out. Add Hurd to the mix... a 6'5" guy who can move... that can be scary. And he doesn't have to be our #1. Imagine that guy being covered by the opponent's fifth or sixth best defender... 

• Like 2